Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

EPF AND HAGLUNDS REMOVAL ON RIGHT FOOT 4 WKS POST-OP

Posted by Bruce on 6/15/01 at 22:04 (050798)

Andrea,

Your timing is impeccable! I just went to the doc this morning. Everything is progressing well. I couldn't be happier! Starting today, I am wearing a tennis shoe with an ACE bandage, atleast after work and on weekends. I will stay out of the 'big black boot' at work as much as possible.

I missed 3 weeks of work, returning Wed. last week. I was supposed to be completely off the crutches and walking in my boot. By the end of that first day, the bottom of my heel felt like what a deep bone bruise feels like, but still tolerable. The next day, Thursday, I had a real scare as I couldn't really ascertain if I had done any damage. I was sitting at my desk and ready to 'swivel' around in my chair. Not thinking, I planted my RIGHT foot to push off. That might have been OK, except there was a cord on the floor under my boot. Instead of pushing off, my foot rolled on the cord, stretching my leg all the way out and flexing my foot - which it was not used to - and then jolting on the ground when it caught. I felt a sharp ripping sensation on my Haglunds incision on the back of my heel, and it felt like perhaps there was something oozing out. Man, did that hurt!!! I immediately took my boot off, didn't see any blood on the wrapping, and iced it. Rather than jump to conclusions, I thought I would wait until the next day and see how it was before calling the doc. Well, it was still hurting, and no one was in the next day to advise me, so I went through the whole weekend wondering if I had done something bad to it. I was back on crutches because of the pain. Doc called Monday saying it was probably just scar tissue pulling loose and was no problem at all, just back off crutch when I felt comfortable. Thursday (yesterday) was my first full day back off the crutch entirely, and now today I'm in a tennis shoe!!!

The Haglunds spur removal was definitely worse than the EPF. There is just no padding on the back of the heel, so it is very sensitive.

I see the Doc in another two weeks. The expectation is that I will be wearing a tennis shoe by then full-time, even at work.

Walking today was hilarious! I looked like Frankenstein. My foot is stiff like a board and doesn't have much flexibility yet. It's like I'm trying to walk on someone else's foot - very clumsy.

Nevertheless, I am very excited by how things have gone so far. Barring that little 'scare', my recovery has also been much better than I expected!

Question: I have not been able to wash this foot for an entire month - now I can. The skin is all dried out and scaly and peeling a little bit between the toes. Any suggestions for getting the skin back in shape?

Gratefully,

Bruce

Re: EPF AND HAGLUNDS REMOVAL ON RIGHT FOOT 4 WKS POST-OP

Tina R. on 6/15/01 at 22:20 (050799)

In regards to the scaly skin on your foot, you might try Vitamin E oil. You can find it in the pharmacy section of your grocery store, Wal-Mart, or a General Nutrition Center. The oil that is thick and gooey works best. Some brands are much more thin and don't seem to work as well. I would suggest rubbing it in before bed and sleeping with a sock on. Can't hurt to try. Best of luck.

Andrea R. on 6/18/01 at 07:02 (050933)

Bruce,

Glad to hear your progressing well. I didn't spend much time in the big black boot. About a week after the stitches came out I was able to start wearing shoes. I found my walking shoes rubbed my incision. I had one pair of black tie shoes that I could wear. I then spent time at the great shoe store we have locally and tried on all types and styles of shoes till I found one that didn't bother my heel or incision.

I was able to flex my foot since the day after surgery. I found walking in the boot threw off everything else. I lost the boot and continue with the crutches most of the time. I'm putting less and less weight on them and now am trying to increase my distance a bit. Around the house I use one crutch and take a few steps with none. I see the doctor on the 25th.

Tina is right about the Vitamin E oil. It's great stuff. The massaging it in is also great for your foot. It also helps minimize the scar.

Andrea

Re: WEARING SHOE, ALSO VITAMIN E

Bruce on 6/19/01 at 22:15 (051058)

Tina and Andrea,

Thanks for the tip on the Vitamin E oil. After 2 days, it's amazing how well the skin has restored.

Hooray! I wore my tennis shoe half the day at work today, plan to go all day tomorrow in it. Also, I just started driving again (went to the dentist to get a $2,000 bridge put in - now THAT hurts (finacially))!

My doc is having me not wear my orthotics in either shoe for a while - not ready for that yet. He said it should be another 2-3 months before I'm feeling pain-free. I can live with that.... Haglunds removal takes a long time to heal. Plus, I get to wear tennis shoes to work. Added bonus!

Adios.

Bruce

jo on 6/21/01 at 22:42 (051206)

I have just had my surgery for a haglunds spur removal on my left foot. I had it on 20/6/01 and have just come home today. It is still painful, but I expected that, and I can go nowhere without my crutches, although I find my foot is not as painful if I wear my birkenstocks.

I return to see my surgeon on 3/7/01. I have not had any problems which I did not anticipate and look forward to my foot having no pain at all in the future.

Straight after surgery, I 'ricked' my foot, but there seems to be no complications as a result of that. There is minimal swelling at this stage, so I am crossing my fingers that everything will stay okay.

Re: Jo HAGLUNDS REMOVAL

Bruce on 6/25/01 at 22:01 (051525)

Jo,

Sounds good so far! Look forward to hearing your report from your July 3rd appt. I see my Doc again this Friday 6/29. I've been going full-time in tennis shoes since the 20th - making good progress, but I'm getting some stiffness near the Achilles after sitting at my desk for awhile.

Question: what does 'rick' my foot mean? I've never heard that term before.

Bruce

Jo on 6/27/01 at 20:40 (051679)

To 'rick' my foot is my term, basically I had put my foot down (it was still reasonably numb) and took a small step, I felt my achilles in my calf region sort of pull and had a lot of pain there later. I has now cleared up. I use to often rick my foot when it still had the spur in it around my inner heel if I was running around too much at work.

I have found my recovery since my surgery really good, I have had little to no swelling and after around 4 days my foot felt really good. I had had my foot up all this time and used crutches to get around. I went to a movie and left my foot down and it ached a bit the next day. Still aches if it is down too long, but otherwise okay. I thought about graduating to a walking stick, but my smarter half said I was probably pushing it and should take it easier. I will see how I go after the weekend.

I find my foot is still more painful if I wander around (on crutches) barefoot than what it is when I wear my birkenstocks. I can't see me wearing shoes which have a back heel on them at this stage, but my birkenstocks are open at the back.

Like you, my achilles tendon is tight, and every chance I get I flex and rotate my foot to keep it going (no cast or boot, only got a thick bandage - better).

I have a huge scar on the back of my foot, but as long as it heals up I don't care.

I am pleased that your foot is getting better and you have returned to work, I think it is very important to listen to your body and basically get on with whatever you can to the best of your ability without causing yourself more harm.

I have another haglunds on my other foot as well, but am hoping to get a bit more time out of it before it gets really painful. However, I now know the actual surgery is not as bad as I thought and will act on getting it removed a lot quicker (saving a lot of pain) if it plays up.

Tina R. on 6/15/01 at 22:20 (050799)

In regards to the scaly skin on your foot, you might try Vitamin E oil. You can find it in the pharmacy section of your grocery store, Wal-Mart, or a General Nutrition Center. The oil that is thick and gooey works best. Some brands are much more thin and don't seem to work as well. I would suggest rubbing it in before bed and sleeping with a sock on. Can't hurt to try. Best of luck.

Andrea R. on 6/18/01 at 07:02 (050933)

Bruce,

Glad to hear your progressing well. I didn't spend much time in the big black boot. About a week after the stitches came out I was able to start wearing shoes. I found my walking shoes rubbed my incision. I had one pair of black tie shoes that I could wear. I then spent time at the great shoe store we have locally and tried on all types and styles of shoes till I found one that didn't bother my heel or incision.

I was able to flex my foot since the day after surgery. I found walking in the boot threw off everything else. I lost the boot and continue with the crutches most of the time. I'm putting less and less weight on them and now am trying to increase my distance a bit. Around the house I use one crutch and take a few steps with none. I see the doctor on the 25th.

Tina is right about the Vitamin E oil. It's great stuff. The massaging it in is also great for your foot. It also helps minimize the scar.

Andrea

Re: WEARING SHOE, ALSO VITAMIN E

Bruce on 6/19/01 at 22:15 (051058)

Tina and Andrea,

Thanks for the tip on the Vitamin E oil. After 2 days, it's amazing how well the skin has restored.

Hooray! I wore my tennis shoe half the day at work today, plan to go all day tomorrow in it. Also, I just started driving again (went to the dentist to get a $2,000 bridge put in - now THAT hurts (finacially))!

My doc is having me not wear my orthotics in either shoe for a while - not ready for that yet. He said it should be another 2-3 months before I'm feeling pain-free. I can live with that.... Haglunds removal takes a long time to heal. Plus, I get to wear tennis shoes to work. Added bonus!

Adios.

Bruce

jo on 6/21/01 at 22:42 (051206)

I have just had my surgery for a haglunds spur removal on my left foot. I had it on 20/6/01 and have just come home today. It is still painful, but I expected that, and I can go nowhere without my crutches, although I find my foot is not as painful if I wear my birkenstocks.

I return to see my surgeon on 3/7/01. I have not had any problems which I did not anticipate and look forward to my foot having no pain at all in the future.

Straight after surgery, I 'ricked' my foot, but there seems to be no complications as a result of that. There is minimal swelling at this stage, so I am crossing my fingers that everything will stay okay.

Bruce on 6/25/01 at 22:01 (051525)

Jo,

Sounds good so far! Look forward to hearing your report from your July 3rd appt. I see my Doc again this Friday 6/29. I've been going full-time in tennis shoes since the 20th - making good progress, but I'm getting some stiffness near the Achilles after sitting at my desk for awhile.

Question: what does 'rick' my foot mean? I've never heard that term before.

Bruce

Jo on 6/27/01 at 20:40 (051679)

To 'rick' my foot is my term, basically I had put my foot down (it was still reasonably numb) and took a small step, I felt my achilles in my calf region sort of pull and had a lot of pain there later. I has now cleared up. I use to often rick my foot when it still had the spur in it around my inner heel if I was running around too much at work.

I have found my recovery since my surgery really good, I have had little to no swelling and after around 4 days my foot felt really good. I had had my foot up all this time and used crutches to get around. I went to a movie and left my foot down and it ached a bit the next day. Still aches if it is down too long, but otherwise okay. I thought about graduating to a walking stick, but my smarter half said I was probably pushing it and should take it easier. I will see how I go after the weekend.

I find my foot is still more painful if I wander around (on crutches) barefoot than what it is when I wear my birkenstocks. I can't see me wearing shoes which have a back heel on them at this stage, but my birkenstocks are open at the back.

Like you, my achilles tendon is tight, and every chance I get I flex and rotate my foot to keep it going (no cast or boot, only got a thick bandage - better).

I have a huge scar on the back of my foot, but as long as it heals up I don't care.

I am pleased that your foot is getting better and you have returned to work, I think it is very important to listen to your body and basically get on with whatever you can to the best of your ability without causing yourself more harm.

I have another haglunds on my other foot as well, but am hoping to get a bit more time out of it before it gets really painful. However, I now know the actual surgery is not as bad as I thought and will act on getting it removed a lot quicker (saving a lot of pain) if it plays up.