Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

What next?

Posted by LynneA on 6/15/01 at hrmin (050802)

I live in Singapore and am desperate to try and sort out my heelspur problem. What of the treatments mentioned on the webpages are available here? I do have orthotics, but the problem seems to be getting worse ,if anything. I would appreciate some comments.

Re: What next?

Steve P on 6/16/01 at 10:09 (050832)

Lynne -- Have you received a definite diagnosis? Is it PF, heelspur(s), or both? Were x-rays taken?

thanks..........Steve

LynneA on 6/16/01 at hrmin (050880)

X-rays on both heels resulted in the following commentry by the radiologist;-
There is spurring at the site of attachment at the plantar fascia laterally but this is more marked on the left compared to the right.No other soft tissue abnormality noted. There is no osseous lesions of the os calci.The subtalar and calcaneo-cuboid joints appear normal.
Comment:- Evidence of previous bilateral plantar fasciitis. The spurring is more marked on the left.

I took this set of x-rays to the podiatrist who made me orthotics. The problem seems to be getting worse.

Thank you for your interest. Lynne

Steve P on 6/17/01 at 10:49 (050895)

Lynne --- Many of us in the States have had success going to Sports Medicine for the treatment of PF. Many large US hospitals have a Sports Med department or an affiliated Sports Med clinic.

I don't know whether Sports Med exists in Singapore, at least under that name. My advice is to try to find an Orthopedic practice that specializes in foot & ankle injuries, preferably one that has a reputation for treating athletes. They will be the most familiar with PF & heelspurs.

Ask about NSAID medication, possible physical therapy, icing, etc. You need a good treatment program customized for your particular condition.

Good luck..........Steve

Steve P on 6/16/01 at 10:09 (050832)

Lynne -- Have you received a definite diagnosis? Is it PF, heelspur(s), or both? Were x-rays taken?

thanks..........Steve

LynneA on 6/16/01 at hrmin (050880)

X-rays on both heels resulted in the following commentry by the radiologist;-
There is spurring at the site of attachment at the plantar fascia laterally but this is more marked on the left compared to the right.No other soft tissue abnormality noted. There is no osseous lesions of the os calci.The subtalar and calcaneo-cuboid joints appear normal.
Comment:- Evidence of previous bilateral plantar fasciitis. The spurring is more marked on the left.

I took this set of x-rays to the podiatrist who made me orthotics. The problem seems to be getting worse.

Thank you for your interest. Lynne

Steve P on 6/17/01 at 10:49 (050895)

Lynne --- Many of us in the States have had success going to Sports Medicine for the treatment of PF. Many large US hospitals have a Sports Med department or an affiliated Sports Med clinic.

I don't know whether Sports Med exists in Singapore, at least under that name. My advice is to try to find an Orthopedic practice that specializes in foot & ankle injuries, preferably one that has a reputation for treating athletes. They will be the most familiar with PF & heelspurs.

Ask about NSAID medication, possible physical therapy, icing, etc. You need a good treatment program customized for your particular condition.

Good luck..........Steve