Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Is This Tarsal Tunnel?

Posted by S. Johnson on 6/15/01 at 23:23 (050804)

I am having an EMG on Monday after seeing an ortho surgeon who suggested that I may have Tarsal Tunnel.

I have been reading the messages here for about a week and no one has mentioned some of my biggest symtoms.

I have severe pain/throbbing/stabbing pain on the inside of my right ankle. I can't walk when I wake in the morning. I have very busy days on my feet so I just keep going because if I sit and relax the pain is so severe it brings me to tears! My ankle actually looks deformed - protruding in towards the left foot. My ortho doc says I have flat feet and that may have turned the ankle in and now it is pressing on a nerve. I also get tingling in my foot and up to my knee - like when your leg 'falls asleep'. My ankle is so sensitve to the touch - I can barely touch it and it's like my skin hurts. I have barely any range of motion. People have noticed that my ankle looks different - like I said 'deformed'.

Can anyone who has been diagnosed with Tarsal Tunnel relate to any of this or do I have something else wrong with me?

Thanks.
SJ

Re: Is This Tarsal Tunnel?

wendyn on 6/16/01 at 00:14 (050813)

S Johnson - sounds like TTS mayble.

I'm not sure about the deformity. Most people with TTS find rest helps - and that it gets worse through the day.

The tingling and extreme sensitivity usually would indicate some type of nerve involvement.

Did your foot suddenly get flatter when your pain started? Can you stand on your toes?

chris on 6/18/01 at 13:31 (050962)

I had severe pain on the inside of my right ankle and terrible pain upon waking in the am....I also noticed that when I sat for long periods of time, when I would get up, I wouldn't be able to walk--I do not have the 'deformity' but my ankle was a bit swollen. Initailly, they thought I had Plantar facitis but on a hunch the pod had me tested for tts which was postitive. I had my surgery Nov '00 and have been doing great. In fact I just got back from spending a week in Florida and I walked everywhere in Universal, Islands of Adventure, wet 'n Wild and Sea World....the heat stopoped me before the foot pain! Actually, I had very little foot pain....some blisters on my little toe!

It was a wonderful improvement!!!!

s. Johnson on 6/18/01 at 23:23 (051013)

Thank you for your response...it makes me feel better knowing I am not alone with my symtoms...I had my EMG this morning and boy was that a wierd feeling test! It is also nice to see that someone has recovered from the surgery nicely.....I will do anything to get over this pain!

wendyn on 6/16/01 at 00:14 (050813)

S Johnson - sounds like TTS mayble.

I'm not sure about the deformity. Most people with TTS find rest helps - and that it gets worse through the day.

The tingling and extreme sensitivity usually would indicate some type of nerve involvement.

Did your foot suddenly get flatter when your pain started? Can you stand on your toes?

chris on 6/18/01 at 13:31 (050962)

I had severe pain on the inside of my right ankle and terrible pain upon waking in the am....I also noticed that when I sat for long periods of time, when I would get up, I wouldn't be able to walk--I do not have the 'deformity' but my ankle was a bit swollen. Initailly, they thought I had Plantar facitis but on a hunch the pod had me tested for tts which was postitive. I had my surgery Nov '00 and have been doing great. In fact I just got back from spending a week in Florida and I walked everywhere in Universal, Islands of Adventure, wet 'n Wild and Sea World....the heat stopoped me before the foot pain! Actually, I had very little foot pain....some blisters on my little toe!

It was a wonderful improvement!!!!

s. Johnson on 6/18/01 at 23:23 (051013)

Thank you for your response...it makes me feel better knowing I am not alone with my symtoms...I had my EMG this morning and boy was that a wierd feeling test! It is also nice to see that someone has recovered from the surgery nicely.....I will do anything to get over this pain!