Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

How long will my pain last?

Posted by Naja F. on 6/15/01 at hrmin (050805)

I was diagnosed yesterday with PF and heel spurs in both feet by a podiatrist. He recommended a treatment plan of stretching, icing, rest and anti-inflammatory meds slong with new shoes and inserts. I am wondering how long it will be before I am pain-free (I know it is an individual thing, but could someone give me some idea, provided that I follow the treatment religiously)? I have a two year old and I don't want this to be a drag on her life.

Re: How long will my pain last?

Dr. Zuckerman on 6/16/01 at 08:54 (050826)

Very good questions and gald you asked. Anywhere from six weeks to six months. The most important aspect of heel spur/pf treatment is that this is like a bone fracture. You must rest this like a fracture or the pain can become chronic and end up with surgery . Even if the pain goes away quikcly rest the foot for at least six weeks.

Laura M. on 6/16/01 at 10:46 (050835)

I'm really curious about this advice to rest the foot. Does this mean to stay off the foot completely? Not to run or walk for exercise? Limit time standing? I'd be so grateful if you would spell this out. I've had pf for over a year and stopped running and seen lots of Dr.s and got all kinds of advice, and now I'm wondering if I could just ditch the family and all the responsibilities and stay in bed for 6 weeks, would I be healed?

Dr. Zuckerman on 6/16/01 at 15:01 (050845)

Definitely no walking or running for excercise. Avoid long shopping outings.Limit I would like to know your daily routine and will advice as to what to avoid. How long have you this problem. Rest is most important when you first get the problem not 3-6 months down the road. The long you have the problem the less chance that rest is going to just heal the area.

Laura M on 6/16/01 at 15:25 (050849)

I've had the problem for about 15 months. Hard orthotics from the podiatrist didn't help. Cortison shot (just one) along with gel heel pads and physical therapy did help, but not completely. I stretch and use a night splint (though am only now really doing that religeously). I try to do massage and then ice.

I am a mother-at-home; do the grocery shopping, cooking, some house cleaning, up and down the stairs to my attic office a fair amount. Normal life of errands and caring for husband and kids. No more real aerobic exercise, tho I do bike once in a while. The pain is not excruciating at all, but is there in the morning and on and off during the day.

Thanks for your attention!

Naja F. on 6/16/01 at hrmin (050869)

I have had the problem for about the same amount of time. It started as arch pain and 'pins and needles' in the morning. Now it has spread to the heels. I am at home most of the time (work on a part-time basis) and find myself on my feet a lot during the day. I would not be able to take a six week in bed rest!

I had another question: I have been reading about the shock wave therapy. There are many success stories, which is encouraging. Why doesn't most insurance companies cover this procedure?

Dr. Zuckerman on 6/16/01 at 08:54 (050826)

Very good questions and gald you asked. Anywhere from six weeks to six months. The most important aspect of heel spur/pf treatment is that this is like a bone fracture. You must rest this like a fracture or the pain can become chronic and end up with surgery . Even if the pain goes away quikcly rest the foot for at least six weeks.

Laura M. on 6/16/01 at 10:46 (050835)

I'm really curious about this advice to rest the foot. Does this mean to stay off the foot completely? Not to run or walk for exercise? Limit time standing? I'd be so grateful if you would spell this out. I've had pf for over a year and stopped running and seen lots of Dr.s and got all kinds of advice, and now I'm wondering if I could just ditch the family and all the responsibilities and stay in bed for 6 weeks, would I be healed?

Dr. Zuckerman on 6/16/01 at 15:01 (050845)

Definitely no walking or running for excercise. Avoid long shopping outings.Limit I would like to know your daily routine and will advice as to what to avoid. How long have you this problem. Rest is most important when you first get the problem not 3-6 months down the road. The long you have the problem the less chance that rest is going to just heal the area.

Laura M on 6/16/01 at 15:25 (050849)

I've had the problem for about 15 months. Hard orthotics from the podiatrist didn't help. Cortison shot (just one) along with gel heel pads and physical therapy did help, but not completely. I stretch and use a night splint (though am only now really doing that religeously). I try to do massage and then ice.

I am a mother-at-home; do the grocery shopping, cooking, some house cleaning, up and down the stairs to my attic office a fair amount. Normal life of errands and caring for husband and kids. No more real aerobic exercise, tho I do bike once in a while. The pain is not excruciating at all, but is there in the morning and on and off during the day.

Thanks for your attention!

Naja F. on 6/16/01 at hrmin (050869)

I have had the problem for about the same amount of time. It started as arch pain and 'pins and needles' in the morning. Now it has spread to the heels. I am at home most of the time (work on a part-time basis) and find myself on my feet a lot during the day. I would not be able to take a six week in bed rest!

I had another question: I have been reading about the shock wave therapy. There are many success stories, which is encouraging. Why doesn't most insurance companies cover this procedure?