Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Want honest recommendations for inserts and/or shoes

Posted by catch22dw on 6/17/01 at hrmin (050890)

I am suffering with this condition. I was told to purchase SAS FreeTime shoes. When I have searched for information on this condition, mostly what I find is Drs and other trying to peddle their products. I would like some 'real' people to share what products have worked for them. I have high arches and am on my feet all day on concrete floors. While these SAS shoes have helped the aching in my feet during the day, it has in no means 'cured' this condition, which actually seems to be getting worse with time (and age I guess). Any suggestions would be helpful, as my budget is not endless and I do not want to buy a bunch of stuff that does not work. Thanks!

Re: Want honest recommendations for inserts and/or shoes

Nancy N on 6/17/01 at 10:11 (050894)

My first recommendation (and that of a lot of other people on this board) is for you to get off your feet, and definitely off the concrete floors. You will not heal as long as you aggravate the condition, which is what you are currrently doing. I assume you're doing all this standing for work, which presents problems--you should talk to the people you work for and see if there's a possibility you can do some desk work instead, or see if your doctor will help you out with time off, or by corroborating that you need to be off your feet. The best shoes in the world won't help you if you're standing all day on hard floors. Same goes for products available through this site or any other--until you deal with the constant aggravation of the problem, I don't think you'll see much improvement.

Lori E. on 6/17/01 at 18:01 (050910)

I also recommend getting off you feet or at least off those concrete floors! I didn't get off my feet soon enough and my case went chronic. As for SAS, those shoes are really soft. An though you might think soft feels good to start out, you are learning that you need a shoe that will support your arches. I have high arches too and found the Tatami line of Birkenstocks and Mephistos to be good shoes. If you have the money the Mephisto Holiday are worth it. I spent way more than their cost in trying to find the right shoe and then finally took the plunge and I am very happy with them.
You need shoes with a stiff sole(shank) so that you are not pulling and stretching your arches. I would recommend something with a stiff sole for going out and about and saving the soft shoes for in the house, and not even then if you are going to be using the stairs. Good luck.

Nancy N on 6/17/01 at 20:30 (050921)

The SAS shoes are really good shoes--but as Lori says, you may need more arch support than what is already built into the shoe. You could try the blue Birk footbed, or maybe some Spencos to go in them. But I still don't think they'll make all that much of a difference if you keep punishing your feet on those hard floors all day long.

Richard, C.Ped on 6/20/01 at 08:12 (051091)

Hi,
I agree with the ladies. Remember to 'test' the shoes while you are looking. Hold the heel with one hand, and push on the toe with the other toward the heel. If the shoe bends in the middle, I would avoid it. Even some of the 'good' shoes we mention here, will bend in the middle (the bottom of the line good shoe). That will only aggrivate the PF. You want the shoe to bend naturally where the ball of your foot bends. You may want to consider an over the counter insert. I am not a big fan of most of them, but it may be an inexpensive way to start.

If you do consider a custom orthosis, do some research. You can go to my web site by clickin on my name at the top of the orthotic/shoes message board. I have a lists of questions to ask before you get the orthotics. I also have a FAQ page. There is also a link to find a C.Ped in your area that may be able to answer questions as well. IMHO, this is one of the best places to get answers to your questions. You can learn from so many people here. Don't be afraid to ask questions. We all know, the only stupid question is the one not asked.
Richard, C.Ped

Andrea R. on 6/22/01 at 09:55 (051234)

If you can't get off the concrete floor how about a good anti-fatique mat. Another option is a 'standing chair' which allows you to rest you rear end on a small seat which takes some weight off your feet and also helps your back. You can get a doctor to write a script for a chair or the mat so you can get your employer to pay for it. That's how a finally got a good ergonomic office chair.

There is a company in Manchester, New Hampshire - Jaymil Active Furniture -that specializes in ergonomic products. Their phone number is (603)629-9995. The chair is a StandStar #7700. The retail price is over $200 but they sell it for $155. Check in your area for a similar company.

Andrea

Jackie R on 8/23/01 at 10:51 (057667)

I can only tell you that I have worn nothing else for the last 5 years. I too work on concret floors and on my feet all day. Five years ago I was to the point of begging my doctor for surgery. I was practically crawling in order to get around. A friend of mine, who was a former waitress and bar tender suggested I try a pair of these SAS shoes. They were the first pair of shoes I ever put on my feet that I could wear for the entire day without any pain what-so-ever. They did not need any breaking in. With in a week the pain in my feet had subsided drastically and within 2 months I was back to being able to wear any kind of shoe when not working. For work I still wear my SAS shoes. Would not be without them. They are truly worth every penny they cost. I in turn recommended them to several other ladies I work with and they all say the same thing. These shoes are WONDERFUL!

Nancy N on 6/17/01 at 10:11 (050894)

My first recommendation (and that of a lot of other people on this board) is for you to get off your feet, and definitely off the concrete floors. You will not heal as long as you aggravate the condition, which is what you are currrently doing. I assume you're doing all this standing for work, which presents problems--you should talk to the people you work for and see if there's a possibility you can do some desk work instead, or see if your doctor will help you out with time off, or by corroborating that you need to be off your feet. The best shoes in the world won't help you if you're standing all day on hard floors. Same goes for products available through this site or any other--until you deal with the constant aggravation of the problem, I don't think you'll see much improvement.

Lori E. on 6/17/01 at 18:01 (050910)

I also recommend getting off you feet or at least off those concrete floors! I didn't get off my feet soon enough and my case went chronic. As for SAS, those shoes are really soft. An though you might think soft feels good to start out, you are learning that you need a shoe that will support your arches. I have high arches too and found the Tatami line of Birkenstocks and Mephistos to be good shoes. If you have the money the Mephisto Holiday are worth it. I spent way more than their cost in trying to find the right shoe and then finally took the plunge and I am very happy with them.
You need shoes with a stiff sole(shank) so that you are not pulling and stretching your arches. I would recommend something with a stiff sole for going out and about and saving the soft shoes for in the house, and not even then if you are going to be using the stairs. Good luck.

Nancy N on 6/17/01 at 20:30 (050921)

The SAS shoes are really good shoes--but as Lori says, you may need more arch support than what is already built into the shoe. You could try the blue Birk footbed, or maybe some Spencos to go in them. But I still don't think they'll make all that much of a difference if you keep punishing your feet on those hard floors all day long.

Richard, C.Ped on 6/20/01 at 08:12 (051091)

Hi,
I agree with the ladies. Remember to 'test' the shoes while you are looking. Hold the heel with one hand, and push on the toe with the other toward the heel. If the shoe bends in the middle, I would avoid it. Even some of the 'good' shoes we mention here, will bend in the middle (the bottom of the line good shoe). That will only aggrivate the PF. You want the shoe to bend naturally where the ball of your foot bends. You may want to consider an over the counter insert. I am not a big fan of most of them, but it may be an inexpensive way to start.

If you do consider a custom orthosis, do some research. You can go to my web site by clickin on my name at the top of the orthotic/shoes message board. I have a lists of questions to ask before you get the orthotics. I also have a FAQ page. There is also a link to find a C.Ped in your area that may be able to answer questions as well. IMHO, this is one of the best places to get answers to your questions. You can learn from so many people here. Don't be afraid to ask questions. We all know, the only stupid question is the one not asked.
Richard, C.Ped

Andrea R. on 6/22/01 at 09:55 (051234)

If you can't get off the concrete floor how about a good anti-fatique mat. Another option is a 'standing chair' which allows you to rest you rear end on a small seat which takes some weight off your feet and also helps your back. You can get a doctor to write a script for a chair or the mat so you can get your employer to pay for it. That's how a finally got a good ergonomic office chair.

There is a company in Manchester, New Hampshire - Jaymil Active Furniture -that specializes in ergonomic products. Their phone number is (603)629-9995. The chair is a StandStar #7700. The retail price is over $200 but they sell it for $155. Check in your area for a similar company.

Andrea

Jackie R on 8/23/01 at 10:51 (057667)

I can only tell you that I have worn nothing else for the last 5 years. I too work on concret floors and on my feet all day. Five years ago I was to the point of begging my doctor for surgery. I was practically crawling in order to get around. A friend of mine, who was a former waitress and bar tender suggested I try a pair of these SAS shoes. They were the first pair of shoes I ever put on my feet that I could wear for the entire day without any pain what-so-ever. They did not need any breaking in. With in a week the pain in my feet had subsided drastically and within 2 months I was back to being able to wear any kind of shoe when not working. For work I still wear my SAS shoes. Would not be without them. They are truly worth every penny they cost. I in turn recommended them to several other ladies I work with and they all say the same thing. These shoes are WONDERFUL!