Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Please help if you can.

Posted by Boyd Newsome on 6/18/01 at hrmin (050928)

Hello,

I am posting this message to see if anyone can help me
this problem. I can't find the product I describe below
on any website or catalog.

My grandmother has torn nerve damage in her foot and the
doctors, even the Clevand Pain Clinic, can't do
anything about it. The only way to reduce her very
intense pain is by soaking her feet in ice water.

So, I am looking for a type of footwrap, preferaably
one that allows a custom fit, that surronds the entire
foot and lower ankle and is filled with a gel or some
type of material that freezes quickly and stays frozen
or at least very cold for a long time. Or I am looking
for a company who could possibly custom design a type
of footwrap that has either an battery or electric
powered referigation system somehow hooked up to it
that would allow for the footwrap to remain very cold
on a constant basis.

Since you guys are experts, I am hoping you might be
able to point this desperate grandson toward something
or somebody that could me out with this search. My
email is Boyd_byu@yahoo.com and my cel phone number is
801-367-2831. I would appreciate any assistance or
advice with this matter. Thanks for your time.

Sincerely, Boyd Newsome
Boyd_byu@yahoo.com

Re: Please help if you can.

eileenc on 6/18/01 at 08:01 (050935)

The Cleveland Clinic ---welcome neighbor! I went there but they totally misdiagnosed my Tarsal tunnel as Plantar Fascitis. I too, at that time, spent my life with ice packs around my foot whenever possible. Neurontin took away a large measure of of my pain within days. I started at 400mg taken 4 times a day and went up to 400mg taken 5 times a day. I know that it says to take it 3 times a day and not to go over 1800mg in the Physicians Desk Reference on drugs, but people with nerve related pain are taking up to 3600mg. I also found that to keep the necessary levels of this medicine in my blodstream that I needed to take it more often. My worst side effect: feeeling sort of spacey ( I wasn't spaced-out before), but it is a welcome substitute for pain that was so intense that I could not even allow the weight of a sheet to touch the inside of my ankle. I still put my ankle in ice-water, but not nearly as often.
Good luck --- how nice it is of you to do this for your grandmother!

Sheila W on 6/18/01 at 09:09 (050938)

I saw this in a catalog today and it sounds like something that might help.
It's called the Ankle Tx System. It comes with 3 gel packs and you can heat or freeze the gel packs. They fit in ankle brace. It was 29.95 at
http://www.tri-zone.com

Dr. Zuckerman on 6/18/01 at 12:22 (050952)

The ankle systems only place ice around the ankle. Could help but won't help the foot itself. Now there is a product called cyro-cuff that I have used which is very effective. It is a boot that surrounds the foot and lower leg . It hold cold water inside. YOu can walk around the house with it you are careful but not meant for walking. How much walking does your grandmother do. ??

Dr. Zuckerman on 6/18/01 at 12:23 (050953)

Yes neurontin can be very effective for nerve related symtoms. The dose is the key to this medication

eileenc on 6/18/01 at 08:01 (050935)

The Cleveland Clinic ---welcome neighbor! I went there but they totally misdiagnosed my Tarsal tunnel as Plantar Fascitis. I too, at that time, spent my life with ice packs around my foot whenever possible. Neurontin took away a large measure of of my pain within days. I started at 400mg taken 4 times a day and went up to 400mg taken 5 times a day. I know that it says to take it 3 times a day and not to go over 1800mg in the Physicians Desk Reference on drugs, but people with nerve related pain are taking up to 3600mg. I also found that to keep the necessary levels of this medicine in my blodstream that I needed to take it more often. My worst side effect: feeeling sort of spacey ( I wasn't spaced-out before), but it is a welcome substitute for pain that was so intense that I could not even allow the weight of a sheet to touch the inside of my ankle. I still put my ankle in ice-water, but not nearly as often.
Good luck --- how nice it is of you to do this for your grandmother!

Sheila W on 6/18/01 at 09:09 (050938)

I saw this in a catalog today and it sounds like something that might help.
It's called the Ankle Tx System. It comes with 3 gel packs and you can heat or freeze the gel packs. They fit in ankle brace. It was 29.95 at
http://www.tri-zone.com

Dr. Zuckerman on 6/18/01 at 12:22 (050952)

The ankle systems only place ice around the ankle. Could help but won't help the foot itself. Now there is a product called cyro-cuff that I have used which is very effective. It is a boot that surrounds the foot and lower leg . It hold cold water inside. YOu can walk around the house with it you are careful but not meant for walking. How much walking does your grandmother do. ??

Dr. Zuckerman on 6/18/01 at 12:23 (050953)

Yes neurontin can be very effective for nerve related symtoms. The dose is the key to this medication