Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Fliud in Foot

Posted by Louise on 6/18/01 at 10:05 (050943)

Hello
I have just had an MRI scan on my right ankle which revealed 2 things:
1) I have a bit of extra bone in part of my foot
2) There is lots of fluid in both the achilles area and the top of my foot.

Part of the problem is that, in my consultants opinion I have 'extremely mobile' joints so I am putting too much movement and strain on them. My feet are often painful as a result of this and the doctor has recommended a steroid injection. Is this the best thing to do? What about the extra bone?

She also talked about imobilizing my ankle - how would they do that?
Any feedback gratefully received!
Thank you

Re: Fliud in Foot

Dr. Zuckerman on 6/18/01 at 12:12 (050950)

Fluid in joint and tendons and around the plantar fasica is a very common findings on an MRI study. This may not even be in an area where the pain has been determined with an evaluation from your treating doctor. So even if it is imflamation it is only one piece of the puzzle. The important part is that no stress fracture joint surface damage, tear in a tendon or ligament was revealed. Same with extra bone. may be just that an extra bone. There area alof to people who have normal extra bones that are no part of the problem

A steriod injection maybe indicated depending on where and why it is to be given.

Tough to give you any additional insight without an examination of your foot and anke.

Re: Dr Zuckerman Re: Fliud in Foot

Louise on 6/18/01 at 14:23 (050970)

Thanks for your reply
The fluid was round the achilles area (I thought it was an achilles problem but the scan showed that to be fine). There was also fluid on the top bones of the foot. (This too is where I get pain)

The other thing I worry about, is that with extremely loose joints, will I continue to damage myself?

The steroid injection is to reduce the swelling although I have also been prescribed anti inflammatories.

Dr. Zuckerman on 6/19/01 at 23:40 (051067)

What was the explanation for the loose joints. Are there other joints such as your wrist or hand that are loose. Can you bend you entire hand backward toward the wrist joint.

Re: Fliud in Foot

Dr. Zuckerman on 6/18/01 at 12:12 (050950)

Fluid in joint and tendons and around the plantar fasica is a very common findings on an MRI study. This may not even be in an area where the pain has been determined with an evaluation from your treating doctor. So even if it is imflamation it is only one piece of the puzzle. The important part is that no stress fracture joint surface damage, tear in a tendon or ligament was revealed. Same with extra bone. may be just that an extra bone. There area alof to people who have normal extra bones that are no part of the problem

A steriod injection maybe indicated depending on where and why it is to be given.

Tough to give you any additional insight without an examination of your foot and anke.

Louise on 6/18/01 at 14:23 (050970)

Thanks for your reply
The fluid was round the achilles area (I thought it was an achilles problem but the scan showed that to be fine). There was also fluid on the top bones of the foot. (This too is where I get pain)

The other thing I worry about, is that with extremely loose joints, will I continue to damage myself?

The steroid injection is to reduce the swelling although I have also been prescribed anti inflammatories.

Dr. Zuckerman on 6/19/01 at 23:40 (051067)

What was the explanation for the loose joints. Are there other joints such as your wrist or hand that are loose. Can you bend you entire hand backward toward the wrist joint.