Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

What I found helped me

Posted by Francis G on 6/18/01 at 16:01 (050976)

June 18, 01

Reply to Beverly, Julie and others:

Thanks for your help and responces to my previous postings when I was having a lot of trouble walking. I am getting a lot better now. It is a very difficult thing when one cannot walk. I thought I would let you and others know what I found helpfull.

1) The most helpful thing was to take a gel pack from the freezer and use elastic bands to hold it to the foot , then lie on the floor on my back and put my feet up on the edge of a table . Also I would move one foot back and forth in the air. I found it most comfortable to place my hands under the thigh and gently rock the leg back and forth with resistance applied by the leg as I pulled forward. This helped because the cool gelpack reduced inflamation as we all know but, with the foot elevated the inflamation was reduced much quicker and better. Now the reason for keeping the leg moving is to increase circulation which really speeded up the whole process. Previously when I used the gelpack sitting down, my feet would simply get cold and the pain would still be there. But with the increased circulation as I am applying the pack it really was effective when before it was not. I would say it is 2 -3 times as effective as before. Note: as said many times before use a tea towel between the pack and bottom of the foot and apply for 12 - 15 minutes max. Do this 3 times a day after using the foot and try and allow 2 hours between applications to let the foot get back to body temperature.

2) I started to eat more protien. Previously I ate only 1 meal a week with meat. I was almost a vegetarian. I started to eat fish at least once a day since shortly after I got this condition.. I really think it is important to eat protien for the connective tissue to heal. It takes a while to see the effect.

3) Stretch the entire system of connected tendons, eg the hamstring, the calf muscles, the achilles tendon and then the plantar fascia. I used the seated and the lying oion the back method the stretch the hamstrings. I used the classic runners stretch standing in front of a wall to stretch the calf muscles and the dorsiflexion active to stretch the fascia. Since all the muscles and tendons are connected to each other from the buttock to the toes each one needs to be isolated and stretched - it makes a big difference. Also I found the towel scrunch to be the best strengthening exercise. It seems to really helps support the fascia and make it stronger so it will not be stressed when walking.

4) I tried many types of shoes and found that Etonic was the best. It supported the feet the best even thought the insoles are a bit hard I found they support the foot the best.

5) I found that massaging the foot was very helpfull. I very simply used both hands to gently massage back and forth in a kind of circular motion. If it was particularly sore in one area I would spend longer at that spot.

6) Rest was most important when I 1st got this condition. I should have stayed off my feet completely for 3 or 4 days to let the initial inflamation go down. It would have not been as bad if I had. After that healing I should have tried more to get back to normal activity - but it has to be gradual and do not overdue it because it will flare up again.

I tried many other things like supplements such as shark cartidge, MSM, glucosamine sulphate and chondrotian, and trace minerals. They may or may not have helped.

One thing I am still having trouble with is walking on pavement is still hard but I can walk on carpeteed floor quite well. As I have said the shoes I am wearing support the feet the best but are not as sft as some others. If anyone has had this maybe you could let me know. Thanks for all your help.

Francis
New name

Re: No weightbearing stretches please!

Francis on 6/18/01 at 19:27 (051000)

Francis --- Thanks for the info. However, many of us will disagree with #3. The more I learn about PF, the more concerned I am about stretches in general & about WEIGHTBEARING stretches in particular.

The plantar fascia does not stretch. It can, however, be injured (or further injured) by weightbearing stretches. So, I would not recommend them to anyone with PF.

Much has been said about this in earlier discussions.

Best............Steve

Re: Sorry.............The above message is mine! Typed my name in the wrong place. Geeeeez!!!

Steve P on 6/18/01 at 19:29 (051001)

Re: No weightbearing stretches please!

Francis on 6/18/01 at 19:27 (051000)

Francis --- Thanks for the info. However, many of us will disagree with #3. The more I learn about PF, the more concerned I am about stretches in general & about WEIGHTBEARING stretches in particular.

The plantar fascia does not stretch. It can, however, be injured (or further injured) by weightbearing stretches. So, I would not recommend them to anyone with PF.

Much has been said about this in earlier discussions.

Best............Steve

Re: Sorry.............The above message is mine! Typed my name in the wrong place. Geeeeez!!!

Steve P on 6/18/01 at 19:29 (051001)