Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

heel pain

Posted by Jeanne on 6/19/01 at hrmin (051043)

My husband has been having a sore area on the back of his heel. It is a round raised area that is hard and red. Can heel spurs be on the back of the heel as well as on the bottom?

Re: heel pain

Dr. Biehler on 6/19/01 at 20:46 (051053)

Spurs can be on the back or bottom of the heels. There is something called a 'pump bump' that can be found on the back of some heels . The technical name is Haglunds Bump. This sometimes becomes raised,red and painfull when it has recieved to much rubbing, such as from the shoe counter, Dr. B.

ellen w on 6/21/01 at 09:08 (051170)

That also sounds like the symptoms I had when diagnosed with retrocalcaneal bursitis -- your husband's doctor may want to check this out as a possible diagnosis. I found it helpful to wear clogs, or if absolutely had to wear a closed heel shoe, gel padding in the heel. There's a company that makes these -- I think if you check Dr. Z's home page, you'll find it.
elln

Dr. Biehler on 6/19/01 at 20:46 (051053)

Spurs can be on the back or bottom of the heels. There is something called a 'pump bump' that can be found on the back of some heels . The technical name is Haglunds Bump. This sometimes becomes raised,red and painfull when it has recieved to much rubbing, such as from the shoe counter, Dr. B.

ellen w on 6/21/01 at 09:08 (051170)

That also sounds like the symptoms I had when diagnosed with retrocalcaneal bursitis -- your husband's doctor may want to check this out as a possible diagnosis. I found it helpful to wear clogs, or if absolutely had to wear a closed heel shoe, gel padding in the heel. There's a company that makes these -- I think if you check Dr. Z's home page, you'll find it.
elln