Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

immune system link?

Posted by Mary De on 6/20/01 at hrmin (051132)

I just discovered the thread on Jade 168 Balm and its possible action. Am very interested in the possiblity that PF could possibly be triggered by a depressed immune system (if I'm reading it correctly). Most of the discussion was too technical for me, although I see that many commentators were skeptical. Also looked at Dr. Chris Reynolds's web site, and in particular the ingredients list. With greatest respect, Dr. Reynold's position seems to be an educated guess at this point, but an intriguing one.

Has anyone else researched the immune system link? One hint: from what I gather from heelspurs.com, grief or severe stress can precipitate the onset of PF (that was the case for me). Grief/stress certainly affect the immune system. And yes, other nasty conditions that affect joints and connective tissue (rhuematoid arthritis, etc) are directly caused by immunity malfunction. Hmmm.

If immunity is a factor, would OTC immunity boosters help PF? I'm thinking of natural/herbal stuff, such as echinacea, antioxidant supplements, zhu ling & maitake mushrooms, astagalus, etc. (For more complete immunity protection program, I refer to Dr. Andrew Weil's 'Natural Health, Natural Medicine,' ch. 12.)

Comments? Research you’ve done or know of? And please, not too technical for us civilians.

-- Mary De

Re: immune system link?

Claudia on 6/20/01 at 15:36 (051139)

Hi Mary...I hadn't caught on to the immune system link possibility but you can bet i'll be looking into it now.....i have a number of autoimmune diseases, including fibromyalgia, endometriosis, lichen planus and celiac disease. i was told at the time of my diagnosis for celiac disease, for which i had none of the classic symptoms, that emotional stress could trigger it......again, emotions and the immune system. i am doing alot of reading lately about the brain and emotions and, actually, where emotion occurs in the brain (lots of research being done by neuroscientists)and am wondering if i will run into any mention of PF. please do post anything else you find....thanks!

Carmel M on 6/20/01 at 20:40 (051148)

Claudia, I also have fibromyalgia and am interested in any connection between immune system problems and PF. I wonder how many people who post on this board have immune system problems.

I don't know exactly how I got PF, but I know it started late summer almost two years ago, right before I got pregnant. I had been taking a very good multivitamin, plus extra B vitamins and magnesium. I wonder if stopping all those had any bearing on getting PF? It would be interesting to know for sure.

Take care.
Carmel

Claudia on 6/20/01 at 15:36 (051139)

Hi Mary...I hadn't caught on to the immune system link possibility but you can bet i'll be looking into it now.....i have a number of autoimmune diseases, including fibromyalgia, endometriosis, lichen planus and celiac disease. i was told at the time of my diagnosis for celiac disease, for which i had none of the classic symptoms, that emotional stress could trigger it......again, emotions and the immune system. i am doing alot of reading lately about the brain and emotions and, actually, where emotion occurs in the brain (lots of research being done by neuroscientists)and am wondering if i will run into any mention of PF. please do post anything else you find....thanks!

Carmel M on 6/20/01 at 20:40 (051148)

Claudia, I also have fibromyalgia and am interested in any connection between immune system problems and PF. I wonder how many people who post on this board have immune system problems.

I don't know exactly how I got PF, but I know it started late summer almost two years ago, right before I got pregnant. I had been taking a very good multivitamin, plus extra B vitamins and magnesium. I wonder if stopping all those had any bearing on getting PF? It would be interesting to know for sure.

Take care.
Carmel