Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

new DX

Posted by Dona on 6/20/01 at 17:31 (051141)

I've had trouble with PF and a heel spur for about 6 months now. I finally succumbed to a cortisone shot in April for the heel spur. A month later, I was walking and felt *pins & needles* in the bottom of my foot. Since that time, the pain in the heel is completely gone, HOWEVER....I have tarsal tunnel syndrome. I have a lump under my inside ankle bone, my ankle *locks up* painfully, I've lost the feeling on the bottom outer edge of my foot, I'm getting pain on the top of my foot just below the toes, and I can't pull myself up the ladder out of the pool by walking on the front part of my foot (has to be the heel or nothing). I've read that heel spurs and TTS sometimes go hand in hand, but what are the odds the cortisone shot had anything to do with it? For the next two weeks, the dr said to increase the Vioxx to twice a day and ice/elevate the foot at night...AND stay away from the orthotics, as they can aggravate the condition (and mine do). I'm living in my Birkenstocks right now. I wanted to start the PT right away, coz I can't see the Vioxx doing much, as I've been taking it anyway (for knees). How long does a *typical* PT bout run, and how successful is it in treating the TTS if there's a visible swelling involved? I definitely don't want surgery (can't be off my feet that long), so I want to make sure I get the needed amount of PT time when I go back to the dr. Thanks for any info.
Dona

Re: new DX

wendyn on 6/21/01 at 23:14 (051209)

Dona - yes TTS and PF seem to go hand in hand (or foot in foot?). The same things that cause PF (overuse, structural problems, excessive weight etc) can also cause TTS.

The Vioxx is probably a good thing to try, I have never heard of cortisone 'causing' TTS - you may want to post on the doctor board to see what they think.

Surgery should always be a last resort.

If you find the orthotics aggravate your pain - you are probably very wise to stick to the Birks for now.

Re: new DX

wendyn on 6/21/01 at 23:14 (051209)

Dona - yes TTS and PF seem to go hand in hand (or foot in foot?). The same things that cause PF (overuse, structural problems, excessive weight etc) can also cause TTS.

The Vioxx is probably a good thing to try, I have never heard of cortisone 'causing' TTS - you may want to post on the doctor board to see what they think.

Surgery should always be a last resort.

If you find the orthotics aggravate your pain - you are probably very wise to stick to the Birks for now.