Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Ignore PF = Chronic PF?

Posted by Lisa C. on 6/21/01 at 02:46 (051162)

I am worried about all the posts I read stating that ignoring PF can make it harder to get rid of or cause it to become a chronic condition. I have had PF about 8 months. Do I consider ESWT? I have never had an x-ray or MRI or nerve conduction test... Is this done before the ESWT to make sure you have PF and not TTS or a back prob...? I relly felt that I was making good progress. I quit taking Voltaren & Advil bc of side effects and noticed a big increase in pain. That makes me feel that the meds were just masking the pain or temporarily giving improvment and not really healing the PF at all. I feel that I am doing almost all that I can. I do get ALOT of conflicting advice though. PT suggests 'stair'& tip toe exercises, HS says no. Pod says foot roller Dr. Z say no-no. The list is looong! Can anyone read this and see the obvious next step for me? I do listen to Heelspurs.com and this is where I have received the most relief.
Thanks to all!

Re: Ignore PF = Chronic PF?

Steve P on 6/21/01 at 09:50 (051174)

Hi Lisa --- It seems to me, based on what you've tried & your 8 month duration, that you may well be a candidate for ESWT. ESWT is normally considered only when typical conservative treatments have played out & the problem still remains.

You may want to get in touch with an ESWT provider to begin a discussion. I think they will ask for an MRI as a first step.

One good place to start would be by e-mailing Denise (Dr. Z's ESWT coordinator). She's at heelhelp@bee.net

But, yes, I would look into it......and NO, I wouldn't do stair exercises or any other weightbearing exercises (just my personal opinion)!

best.............Steve

john h on 6/22/01 at 09:17 (051232)

as a former stair step fanatic (1 hour level 10) i agree with steve. stay off that baby until you get control of your problem. bike or swimming probably ok. as you read this board you will find a lot of things that have worked for various pf patients. now is the time to cure your problem. 90% of the 6 million who develop this each year are cured. many of the others create thier own chronic condition because of a lack of knowledge (me).

Steve P on 6/21/01 at 09:50 (051174)

Hi Lisa --- It seems to me, based on what you've tried & your 8 month duration, that you may well be a candidate for ESWT. ESWT is normally considered only when typical conservative treatments have played out & the problem still remains.

You may want to get in touch with an ESWT provider to begin a discussion. I think they will ask for an MRI as a first step.

One good place to start would be by e-mailing Denise (Dr. Z's ESWT coordinator). She's at heelhelp@bee.net

But, yes, I would look into it......and NO, I wouldn't do stair exercises or any other weightbearing exercises (just my personal opinion)!

best.............Steve

john h on 6/22/01 at 09:17 (051232)

as a former stair step fanatic (1 hour level 10) i agree with steve. stay off that baby until you get control of your problem. bike or swimming probably ok. as you read this board you will find a lot of things that have worked for various pf patients. now is the time to cure your problem. 90% of the 6 million who develop this each year are cured. many of the others create thier own chronic condition because of a lack of knowledge (me).