Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Heel/Arch/Ankle Pain

Posted by Marge H. on 6/21/01 at hrmin (051175)

Ive developed Plantar Faschitis, out of the blue, 4 or 5 months ago.Localized severe pain in the heel. I started seeing a podiatrist in early May. Cortizone & strapping helped the first treatment. Ive been going every other week for shots and strappings and now have had a mold created for orthotics. Thats about 4 shots.
About a week ago, I developed the most excruciating pain in the arch area, that traveled up to the side of the ankle bone. It throbs even while at rest. Also, if I go to tie my shoes, I can feel the pull of my hamstring all the way down right under my foot. My foot was feeling like it was on the verge of always cramping as well. If you just touch the area right after the heel to the arch, it would make me jump in pain. This new ailment has now gone from the rear end of my heel to another area. This past Monday, I went back to the Dr. Another shot, strapping & now Celebrex. Its not helping very much. Im streching as well. The Dr says its still PF. To me, it feels like a whole new ailment that is now aggravating my arch, ankle, shins, calf and hamstring. Im really depressed as I am a very active person. I am an entertainer performing every week as well. Will this ever go away? or am I doomed with a chronic condition for the rest of my life. Is this still Plantar Faschitis?
When I stand now I have shooting knife type pains in the arch area. Does this condition travel around the foot like this? First in the heel, then to the arch? I actually do not have pain in the heel area anymore, its migrated to just where the arch starts.
I feel like something has been torn. Ive actually gotten worse than better. (first visit to DR gave releif, but not anymore)
Im going to drop my bodywieght to see if I get releif.
Please HELP! What is going on here? What else can I do? Is this a chronic condition for the rest of my life. My DR didnt say much..Now Im waiting for the orthotics. Im so depressed about this.

Re: Heel/Arch/Ankle Pain

Andrea R. on 6/21/01 at 10:50 (051176)

Marge,

Sounds like the podiatrist I had. I found someone else when he suggested a third shot. Get another opinion - I went to an orthopedist who specializes in feet and ankles.

I'll leave the answers to your questions for the docs.

Re: Heel/Arch/Ankle Pain - NO MORE SHOTS

Donna SL on 6/21/01 at 12:24 (051183)

Marge,

Get another opinion as soon as possible, and do not let that doctor do any more shots! Too many cortizone shots can cause the fascia too rupture, or damage to other nerves, tendons, etc., in the foot, and ankle. It sounds like there could be problems in the tarsal tunnel area, or the posterior tibial tendon, etc. Don't mess around, and get to another doctor immediately.

Hopefully this is just severe irritation of the major nerves in the foot, and could be calmed down with rest, possible casting, etc. You need to see someone else to find out what's going on.

Donna

wendyn on 6/21/01 at 13:24 (051185)

It's not very often you find a doctor who will do 4 shots BEFORE making orthotics.

Get a second opinion.

Fast.

J. Small on 6/23/01 at hrmin (051363)

I understand your pain...and I have the same sensation in my right foot...like if I take off my right shoe
then my foot feels like it is relaxing and not pinched...Is there such as a thing as a pinched
nerve in the foot?

JoyceS on 6/25/01 at hrmin (051483)

I was thinking of giving up my exercise to rest my right foot but I don't want to do that.
I figure if I want to walk for exercise it would just hurt as much as it would if I stand
for the 25 minutes I do strength and flexibility exercises...Or am I wrong?
I've delayed going to the doctor but if it hurts this evening when I exercise
I will make an appointment tomorrow. The pain isn't excruciating..
more a bother then anything else. My pain is more on the right side of my right
foot.

Re: Heel/Arch/Ankle Pain - Joyce re stretching

Julie on 6/25/01 at 14:01 (051489)

Joyce, take care with exercise. Weight-bearing stretching may do more harm than good - whether walking or standing.

Andrea R. on 6/21/01 at 10:50 (051176)

Marge,

Sounds like the podiatrist I had. I found someone else when he suggested a third shot. Get another opinion - I went to an orthopedist who specializes in feet and ankles.

I'll leave the answers to your questions for the docs.

Re: Heel/Arch/Ankle Pain - NO MORE SHOTS

Donna SL on 6/21/01 at 12:24 (051183)

Marge,

Get another opinion as soon as possible, and do not let that doctor do any more shots! Too many cortizone shots can cause the fascia too rupture, or damage to other nerves, tendons, etc., in the foot, and ankle. It sounds like there could be problems in the tarsal tunnel area, or the posterior tibial tendon, etc. Don't mess around, and get to another doctor immediately.

Hopefully this is just severe irritation of the major nerves in the foot, and could be calmed down with rest, possible casting, etc. You need to see someone else to find out what's going on.

Donna

wendyn on 6/21/01 at 13:24 (051185)

It's not very often you find a doctor who will do 4 shots BEFORE making orthotics.

Get a second opinion.

Fast.

J. Small on 6/23/01 at hrmin (051363)

I understand your pain...and I have the same sensation in my right foot...like if I take off my right shoe
then my foot feels like it is relaxing and not pinched...Is there such as a thing as a pinched
nerve in the foot?

JoyceS on 6/25/01 at hrmin (051483)

I was thinking of giving up my exercise to rest my right foot but I don't want to do that.
I figure if I want to walk for exercise it would just hurt as much as it would if I stand
for the 25 minutes I do strength and flexibility exercises...Or am I wrong?
I've delayed going to the doctor but if it hurts this evening when I exercise
I will make an appointment tomorrow. The pain isn't excruciating..
more a bother then anything else. My pain is more on the right side of my right
foot.

Re: Heel/Arch/Ankle Pain - Joyce re stretching

Julie on 6/25/01 at 14:01 (051489)

Joyce, take care with exercise. Weight-bearing stretching may do more harm than good - whether walking or standing.