Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Some things I learned on my trip....

Posted by Lori E. on 6/21/01 at 16:02 (051188)

I just wanted to share some of the stuff I learned about my PF while on my trip in Denmark and Sweden.
I know how important it is to use my PFT every morning. I left it in the car in Stockholm and I had a very slow crabby morning the next day.
I learned that they put way more carbonation in the fizzy water here than in Europe and that when I went back to my American mineral water here my feet were feeling a bit worse( as well as my stomach.) I switched to decaf iced tea. I still drink some mineral water, but I try to get the European kind, or make the US kind go a bit flat.
I learned to really really listen to my feet and to get off of them when they ache, burn or hurt. If I got off of them soon enough I was good to go for a while longer.
I learned that spending the money for really, really good shoes is worth it. And by that I mean a really stiff shoe, with good arch support. I could even handle stairs in those. But the cobble stone streets still were a bit rough on my feet. I am so thankful for benches and sidewalk cafes. It was nice to be able to just sit and take in where I was and really enjoy it.
I learned that I really like Carlsburg beer. ;P Too bad it's so hard to find here. I could get it there in the hostel vending machine after being on my feet for most of the day and a couple of those really took the edge off of the ache.
Mostly I am glad that I won the ESWT lotto and saw Dr.Z, so I could actually go on my trip. I am not 100% better but I am getting really close and I can see the end is near. At this point I am just learning to manage my PF better, and I can do more things.
I didn't think before that I could even walk a block, now I know that I can do several. I guess that once you are used to being careful and have been resting for a long time, you get used to thinking that you can't do things. It is amazing how much better I am doing. I went from a high of 7-8 six months ago to an average of 1-2 most of the time now as long as I don't abuse my feet. Just wanted to share a bit. Thanks for listening.

Re: Great news, Lori! Thanks for the encouragement.................................eom

Steve P on 6/21/01 at 16:47 (051189)

Re: Some things I learned on my trip....

john h on 6/21/01 at 18:00 (051195)

lori: you make me want to drag out my pf trainer again. as a matter of fact i think i will after a reasonable period of time since my last ESWT treatment.

JudyS on 6/22/01 at 10:51 (051247)

Lori - that really is good news! Probably the most significant thing we can learn from you is about 'listening' to our feet. It's just SO worth it in the long run!

john h on 6/22/01 at 13:06 (051265)

judy: i have been listening to my feet for the last few years and do not like what i have heard. If they were a girl friend i would have dumped her 7 years ago.

JudyS on 6/22/01 at 15:01 (051268)

I know what you mean, John. My problem is that my feet don't listen to ME....sort of like my kids....:)

Beverly on 6/22/01 at 15:21 (051269)

Lori,

Both your story and Nancy S.'s are so encouraging for me. I've followed your story for over a year, and that makes your improvement for dramatic to me than if I'd just 'met' you.

As I continue to read positive things about your EWST experience and that of others, I keep holding it out as an option. For me, it's not so much about the money but my fear of doing something that will make me worse. Continuing to follow your story and others is very helpful for those of us who are less brave about charting new territory.

I'm so glad your trip went this well.
Beverly

john h on 6/22/01 at 17:50 (051284)

i do not remember any post where someone was worse after ESWT given 12 weeks to recover. i have had 3 treatments. anyone out there been made worse?

Re: Made worse?

Cynthia D on 6/23/01 at 05:14 (051321)

Lori, this is great news, I'm so happy you were able to go and have a good time. I'm in about the same position as you now. If I'm careful, I can do almost anything I want (no running) within reason and maintain an 0-3 pain level!

I had ESWT last February.

I thought for MONTHS that I had been made worse (sorry Dr. Z), but now it's been almost five months and I've had almost two weeks (knock on wood) with no horrible days!! (Thanks, Dr. Z!) I still am stiff and about a 4 when I first get up, but after things get moving, the pain us usually a '0'. The pf is not totally gone, and I am considering another treatment soon, perhaps on the milder Dornier machine. For my particular instance, I think the shockwaves of the orby were just too strong for me. This was confirmed by Dr. George Theodore at Mass. General.

Also, yoga and foot massages three times a week have help significantly to get me over this 'hump'.

Re: Great news, Lori! Thanks for the encouragement.................................eom

Steve P on 6/21/01 at 16:47 (051189)

john h on 6/21/01 at 18:00 (051195)

lori: you make me want to drag out my pf trainer again. as a matter of fact i think i will after a reasonable period of time since my last ESWT treatment.

JudyS on 6/22/01 at 10:51 (051247)

Lori - that really is good news! Probably the most significant thing we can learn from you is about 'listening' to our feet. It's just SO worth it in the long run!

john h on 6/22/01 at 13:06 (051265)

judy: i have been listening to my feet for the last few years and do not like what i have heard. If they were a girl friend i would have dumped her 7 years ago.

JudyS on 6/22/01 at 15:01 (051268)

I know what you mean, John. My problem is that my feet don't listen to ME....sort of like my kids....:)

Beverly on 6/22/01 at 15:21 (051269)

Lori,

Both your story and Nancy S.'s are so encouraging for me. I've followed your story for over a year, and that makes your improvement for dramatic to me than if I'd just 'met' you.

As I continue to read positive things about your EWST experience and that of others, I keep holding it out as an option. For me, it's not so much about the money but my fear of doing something that will make me worse. Continuing to follow your story and others is very helpful for those of us who are less brave about charting new territory.

I'm so glad your trip went this well.
Beverly

john h on 6/22/01 at 17:50 (051284)

i do not remember any post where someone was worse after ESWT given 12 weeks to recover. i have had 3 treatments. anyone out there been made worse?

Re: Made worse?

Cynthia D on 6/23/01 at 05:14 (051321)

Lori, this is great news, I'm so happy you were able to go and have a good time. I'm in about the same position as you now. If I'm careful, I can do almost anything I want (no running) within reason and maintain an 0-3 pain level!

I had ESWT last February.

I thought for MONTHS that I had been made worse (sorry Dr. Z), but now it's been almost five months and I've had almost two weeks (knock on wood) with no horrible days!! (Thanks, Dr. Z!) I still am stiff and about a 4 when I first get up, but after things get moving, the pain us usually a '0'. The pf is not totally gone, and I am considering another treatment soon, perhaps on the milder Dornier machine. For my particular instance, I think the shockwaves of the orby were just too strong for me. This was confirmed by Dr. George Theodore at Mass. General.

Also, yoga and foot massages three times a week have help significantly to get me over this 'hump'.