Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

On and off PF for the past 5 months-what do i do???

Posted by Anita V. on 6/21/01 at 19:00 (051197)

My foot got very irritated after a very longbarefoot walk on the beach 5 months ago, and it's worse than ever...it had gotten much better for a while, but now it's only worse. I am on vacation, so I finally have time to rest now - what do I do? Should I completely rest? I have a night splint and custom orthotics, and I've been to two doctors, the first one just kept on taping my foot up, and the second one's been telling me just to do stretches but nothing is helping, it's worse than ever! Please help! I'm only 16, I was hoping I wouldn't have to worry about these sorts of things for a while...

Re: On and off PF for the past 5 months-what do i do???

john h on 6/22/01 at 09:12 (051231)

anita: at your young age you have a great chance for complete recovery! walking on the beach without shoes is about as bad as you can do. Read every word in Scotts book and look through these messages. Do not over do. The tendancy is to say i am feeling better and take off on a 5 mile run or what ever you engage in. You have caught this thing early and fortunately located a board that will give you the most complete info on the net about your condition. get yourself some birkenstock soft soled Airizona Sandals as they help a lot of people. At your age you should look cool in them. At my age i look goofy (espically with socks). read read all you can on this board. good luck.

Dr. Chris Reynolds. on 6/22/01 at hrmin (051236)

Frankly, I would try the Jade 168 Balm. Send me your mailing address and because yours is a difficult case you can join the trial I'm running at the moment if you want. I will send you a tube gratis. It's worth a try, and I think it might help you. Dr. Chris.

Re: On and off PF for the past 5 months-what do i do??? ATTN: Dr. Chris Reynolds

Lisa C. on 6/22/01 at hrmin (051256)

I thought that it was too late to get involved in the Jade trial. I read your post above and would like to know if I too could try the Jade Balm. I would be happy to follow any directions and report faithfully. If it is not horrifically expensive, I would pay for it as well. It would be wonderful if PF could be cured by such a simple non invasive method!

Richard, C.Ped on 6/22/01 at 12:02 (051260)

Hi Anita,
Long walks on the beach....sounds fun. Anyway, the soft sand of the beach is ok to stand in as well as walk for a little while. Most people walk on the harder packed sand near the water. You might as well be walking on concrete. Wear your shoes/sandals and don't over do it. There is so much advice here, take in all you can.

Re: Re:walking on beaches & Jade Balm

Mary De on 6/22/01 at hrmin (051261)

I'm with you, Anita. I love walking on the beach. Yesterday, after a hot day of working, I couldn't resist. It was Summer Solstice sunset, after all. Pacific Ocean is a mere 5 miles away, and 30 degrees cooler! Lovely. Worth every step to walk down to my favorite spot (where my mom's ashes are scattered), about a mile. Yes I wore my good walkers with orts. But I HAD to take off my shoes and go wading in the waves. Water was freezing as usual, so got my cold soak in. Yes, my feet hurt all night. But if I can't enjoy life, then I'd be overwhelmed with its troubles.

Dr. Reynolds, is it still possible to join the Jade Balm trials? I'm broke right now from horrific house-construction overruns. But I'm a conscientious respondent.

--Mary De

JudyS on 6/22/01 at 14:11 (051267)

Richard, about that beach-walking....I found just the opposite to be true. Walking in the soft sand put too much stress/strain in too many unpredictable directions on my arches. However, when I walked on the wet-pack I was able to do it for a solid 30 minutes (about 10 months ago in the height of my PF) pain-free. I think it was pain free because the water was cold and kept the inflammation at bay while I strolled.

Dr. Chris Reynolds. on 6/22/01 at hrmin (051286)

Yes, because we are getting some positive feedback it is important that we have more data. I would like to take on another 10 participants. Please email me directly with your name and mailing address.
Thanks.

Anita V. on 6/22/01 at 21:45 (051298)

I currently can't walk at all though, pretty much, I can barely step on my foot, so I'm just wondering what's best for the short term, right now, and then I'll worry about how to deal with it later on ... is complete rest the best option? I'm on vacation now, so I actually have time for that..thansk for the replies, by the way:)

Re: On and off PF for the past 5 months-what do i do??? ATTN: Dr. Chris Reynolds

Olga C on 6/23/01 at hrmin (051316)

Hi Dr. Reynolds. I have PF for 2 years now and I would like to try the Jade balm trials. I am very interested in what you have to say about it being an Autoimmune disease as I have recently been diagnosed with Graves disease and I wonder if there is any connection? I have read this message board for the last year now and this has helped me the most even though I heave tried the usual conventual treatment as I am a Physiotherapist.I would love to be included in your trial. Olga

john h on 6/23/01 at 19:23 (051367)

my experience has been very much like judy's. soft sand caused some grief. the packed sand near the water was ok. no cold water on our beaches however.

Re: Soft/hard sand

Julie on 6/24/01 at 04:56 (051387)

And mine. I think the problem with soft sand is that the heel sinks in, putting extra strain on the fascia.

john h on 6/22/01 at 09:12 (051231)

anita: at your young age you have a great chance for complete recovery! walking on the beach without shoes is about as bad as you can do. Read every word in Scotts book and look through these messages. Do not over do. The tendancy is to say i am feeling better and take off on a 5 mile run or what ever you engage in. You have caught this thing early and fortunately located a board that will give you the most complete info on the net about your condition. get yourself some birkenstock soft soled Airizona Sandals as they help a lot of people. At your age you should look cool in them. At my age i look goofy (espically with socks). read read all you can on this board. good luck.

Dr. Chris Reynolds. on 6/22/01 at hrmin (051236)

Frankly, I would try the Jade 168 Balm. Send me your mailing address and because yours is a difficult case you can join the trial I'm running at the moment if you want. I will send you a tube gratis. It's worth a try, and I think it might help you. Dr. Chris.

Lisa C. on 6/22/01 at hrmin (051256)

I thought that it was too late to get involved in the Jade trial. I read your post above and would like to know if I too could try the Jade Balm. I would be happy to follow any directions and report faithfully. If it is not horrifically expensive, I would pay for it as well. It would be wonderful if PF could be cured by such a simple non invasive method!

Richard, C.Ped on 6/22/01 at 12:02 (051260)

Hi Anita,
Long walks on the beach....sounds fun. Anyway, the soft sand of the beach is ok to stand in as well as walk for a little while. Most people walk on the harder packed sand near the water. You might as well be walking on concrete. Wear your shoes/sandals and don't over do it. There is so much advice here, take in all you can.

Mary De on 6/22/01 at hrmin (051261)

I'm with you, Anita. I love walking on the beach. Yesterday, after a hot day of working, I couldn't resist. It was Summer Solstice sunset, after all. Pacific Ocean is a mere 5 miles away, and 30 degrees cooler! Lovely. Worth every step to walk down to my favorite spot (where my mom's ashes are scattered), about a mile. Yes I wore my good walkers with orts. But I HAD to take off my shoes and go wading in the waves. Water was freezing as usual, so got my cold soak in. Yes, my feet hurt all night. But if I can't enjoy life, then I'd be overwhelmed with its troubles.

Dr. Reynolds, is it still possible to join the Jade Balm trials? I'm broke right now from horrific house-construction overruns. But I'm a conscientious respondent.

--Mary De

JudyS on 6/22/01 at 14:11 (051267)

Richard, about that beach-walking....I found just the opposite to be true. Walking in the soft sand put too much stress/strain in too many unpredictable directions on my arches. However, when I walked on the wet-pack I was able to do it for a solid 30 minutes (about 10 months ago in the height of my PF) pain-free. I think it was pain free because the water was cold and kept the inflammation at bay while I strolled.

Dr. Chris Reynolds. on 6/22/01 at hrmin (051286)

Yes, because we are getting some positive feedback it is important that we have more data. I would like to take on another 10 participants. Please email me directly with your name and mailing address.
Thanks.

Anita V. on 6/22/01 at 21:45 (051298)

I currently can't walk at all though, pretty much, I can barely step on my foot, so I'm just wondering what's best for the short term, right now, and then I'll worry about how to deal with it later on ... is complete rest the best option? I'm on vacation now, so I actually have time for that..thansk for the replies, by the way:)

Olga C on 6/23/01 at hrmin (051316)

Hi Dr. Reynolds. I have PF for 2 years now and I would like to try the Jade balm trials. I am very interested in what you have to say about it being an Autoimmune disease as I have recently been diagnosed with Graves disease and I wonder if there is any connection? I have read this message board for the last year now and this has helped me the most even though I heave tried the usual conventual treatment as I am a Physiotherapist.I would love to be included in your trial. Olga

john h on 6/23/01 at 19:23 (051367)

my experience has been very much like judy's. soft sand caused some grief. the packed sand near the water was ok. no cold water on our beaches however.

Re: Soft/hard sand

Julie on 6/24/01 at 04:56 (051387)

And mine. I think the problem with soft sand is that the heel sinks in, putting extra strain on the fascia.