Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

surgery

Posted by Liz Moore on 6/21/01 at 20:42 (051199)

I have recently developed plantar's fascitis and would like to know how a determination is made to have surgery. I am trying out the orthotics but it's been slow going. Mind you, it has only been 2 months since I got my orthotics. But curiousity is reigning and I'm curious as to how and why someone would be recommended for surgery. Thank you.

Re: surgery

rhea l. on 6/21/01 at 23:50 (051213)

liz

What do you do for a living?
Are you on your feet constantly at work (say 7/12 hours solid)
How long have you suffered with this?
Can you continue to work with the pain or has it came to the point that you may have to go on disability soon?
Do you limp constantly?
Have you had cortisone injections?

I asked all these questions to get more of an idea of your situation.
I had plantar faciotomy and removal of the heel spur done on May 25.
Am I better? Yes. Cured? No. I haven't made up my mind whether it was the right thing to do.I appear to be rid of the arch pain but I have a few new pains that I am not sure where they are coming from or if they will go away.
I must tell you that I have been an O.R. nurse for 20 years and we do this procedure all the time, but I never see the patient again after the surgery so I don't know the end result.

I suggest you research this fully before you make up your mind and good luck.

Dr. Zuckerman on 6/23/01 at 08:20 (051332)

Surgery for pf/heelspur pain is done for the pain that you get whenever the person gets up and starts to walk. This is called first step pain. After you get moving the pain does decrease this could take one minute ,one hour, or many hours.

After a time frame of treatments that haven't resolved this pain then either ESWT or foot surgery is the a consideration. ESWT is the new procedure that is starting to replace foot surgery. ESWT has alot less complications then foot surgery.

Dr. Marlene Reid on 7/11/01 at hrmin (052755)

Surgery should be a LAST, LAST resort for PF. I don't say that for everything. Bunions, surgery should be performed BEFORE pain starts. Surgery for PF is not very sucessful and can leave you with a lot of problems. There are MANY different treatments to try, before sx or ESW. ESWT/Surgery should ONLY be done on the very chronic cases that have failed all other treatments.

rhea l. on 6/21/01 at 23:50 (051213)

liz

What do you do for a living?
Are you on your feet constantly at work (say 7/12 hours solid)
How long have you suffered with this?
Can you continue to work with the pain or has it came to the point that you may have to go on disability soon?
Do you limp constantly?
Have you had cortisone injections?

I asked all these questions to get more of an idea of your situation.
I had plantar faciotomy and removal of the heel spur done on May 25.
Am I better? Yes. Cured? No. I haven't made up my mind whether it was the right thing to do.I appear to be rid of the arch pain but I have a few new pains that I am not sure where they are coming from or if they will go away.
I must tell you that I have been an O.R. nurse for 20 years and we do this procedure all the time, but I never see the patient again after the surgery so I don't know the end result.

I suggest you research this fully before you make up your mind and good luck.

Dr. Zuckerman on 6/23/01 at 08:20 (051332)

Surgery for pf/heelspur pain is done for the pain that you get whenever the person gets up and starts to walk. This is called first step pain. After you get moving the pain does decrease this could take one minute ,one hour, or many hours.

After a time frame of treatments that haven't resolved this pain then either ESWT or foot surgery is the a consideration. ESWT is the new procedure that is starting to replace foot surgery. ESWT has alot less complications then foot surgery.

Dr. Marlene Reid on 7/11/01 at hrmin (052755)

Surgery should be a LAST, LAST resort for PF. I don't say that for everything. Bunions, surgery should be performed BEFORE pain starts. Surgery for PF is not very sucessful and can leave you with a lot of problems. There are MANY different treatments to try, before sx or ESW. ESWT/Surgery should ONLY be done on the very chronic cases that have failed all other treatments.