Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Anyone, please help me!!!

Posted by melanie s on 6/22/01 at hrmin (051217)

Hello. I had no idea this internet site existed until last night when I started looking on line for info on TTS. For a brief period of time I was in contact with a chronic pain forum, but I was unable to find others who suffered the same pain I had. I attempted to post a message here yesterday, but it never made it onto the message board, so I will give it another try.

Here is my history: I am currently 27 and have the following diagnosis: bilat PF and bilat TTS, I also have patellar femmoral syndrome, brusitis and something else. (I have hip, knee, and foot pain---but the bulk of my problems are foot related).

I have had bilat PF since 1985 and had compleetd the following traetements to decrease the pain: excersies, ice, night splints, multiple meds (including sleeping meds so I could sleep as the pain wakes me up or keep me up at night), creams, heavy duty med cocktails, a walking cast, injections, steriods, Physical Therapy, orthotics, different shoes, surgical releases to both feet followed by casts and more physical therapy, bone scans, CT scans, a few nerve conduction studies, multiple blood pannels, cruthes, electroacuscope, electrical stimulation, a TENS unit, and my favorite--the one that really works---a wheelchair.

Despite the above treatments, I still have pain. When I sleep, heel pain occurs if the sheets touch my heels. When it is hot out, the balls of my feet burn. In fact, it got so bad the a few weeks ago, I considering cutting them both off. I was diagnoised with TTS just last week, but it was not picked up on the first nerve conduction study. I don't know what to do. in the summer, I am best off without any shoes on as the heat makes my feet burn, yet I am not able to walk on them either due to the pain in my heels.

When I was younger, in high school and early college I used to run despite the pain. I figured I would just try to ignore the pain---Yeah right! That didn't work. I have been to a multitude of doctors, some who gave up on me and claimed that I had a conversion disorder (psychologiocal disorder where there is no physical problem, but more mental ). So, I got turned off by the docs and decided I would just forget seeking out traetment, but then, I went to a new doc to get new orthotics and he is willing to work with me. I have a feeling he is looking towards surgery for the TTS, but I am not sure. Currently, I am looking for people who have similar problems that have found relief...please help me, this has been going on for 16 years and I am seeking any relief...by the way, I am allergic to many many meds, so I stay away from oral medications.

Please help--also,my family pushed the magnet thing on me and that was useless as well. I have probably left out a few of the treatments, but I am sure you get the general idea.

Help, help, help!!!!!

Melanie

Re: Anyone, please help me!!!

Laurie R on 6/22/01 at 02:27 (051219)

Hello Malanie , welcome to the board. I don't have the answer you are looking for ,but I would like to suggest for you to read the heel pain book .... Also check out everything on this site. You will find the most compassionate people here ..... This site is my main support, it has helped me deal with my foot pain. I have PF right foot and tenosynivitis in my FHL tendon ,I have had this now for two years... So read all you can and ask any questions you may have. We all help each other here.. So again welcome ...... My very best to you . Laurie R

john h on 6/22/01 at 09:04 (051230)

malanie: you have sure been and continue to go through it! there are probably several people on this board who have similar stories including wheelchairs and all. i would start by asking the doctor who did both releases on your fascia how much fascia he released. if he did a complete release problems at a later date might be expected. i have had a TTS release and from my experience and what my own doctor told me it is a shot in the dark even with a positive emg study. i would even go to a neurologist to try and rule in or out TTS. having had a TTS release and PF release on one foot (i also have bi-laterial PF-7years). Is your pain localized or wide spread over your foot? If it was localized i would get a steriod shot into the area, not that it is a cure but if it provides relief it will give you an indication of where the problem is. I would also consider going to an Orthopedic Foot and Ankle Surgeon who has a Fellowship in Foot & Ankle Surgery. I sure would not jump into more surgery uless they can be assured that it will help. Of course ESWT is out there for you if your symptoms fit the criteria for the non invasive treatment. Your key is going to be to find the doctor who will take the time and has the expertise to accurately diagnose your problem. DO NOT give up. keep reading this board and all the info in scotts book and the experience that has got other people through this. you have many people here who understand what you are going through. Hang tough!

Paula G. on 6/22/01 at 10:40 (051243)

Hi. I have also tried everything. Did you get a cortizone shot? I know I just got a second one and it is so nice to have some relief. You must take care of those feet. Rest them as much as possible. I know when I sit down a good portion of the day doing something, my feet feel better.
We do not realize how much we are really on our feet. I am a stay at home mom taking care of children and a home and must force myself to sit down during the day.
I know standing still, ie, doing dishes or cooking is the worst. I took someone's advice and now use a stool.

Dr. Zuckerman on 6/22/01 at 16:44 (051278)

Hi,

Has anyone discussed neurontin for your nerve pain. May help you sleep

melanie s on 6/22/01 at hrmin (051303)

I have had the cortizone injections, they did nothing. My pain in located in the heel, and back of heel as well as the balls of my feet. If I am without orthotics my archs ache, but that is about it. The heel feels like someone is has a screwdriver stuck into the heel plate and another person is slamming a hammer into it. My new pod thinks that the PF releases may have not been done properly. I sure as heck do not want to go through that again though---lots more pain. The neuro study that was just completed last week or the week before is pretty accurate, the guy was great and he did conclude that I have TTS. Actually, from what I have found out, when I had the PF releases I was one of the first in the area to have it done with the scope and not a full opn foot procedure. So that is why they were not sure if they cut the right thing. Actually, during the procedure, the docs working on me were talking and one asked the other if he got it or not, once he had cut it. I sat up and let them know they had released it because I felt a snap. Then again, I was out of it and it was numb...so who knows. Thanks for the support. I plan to read more fromt he bioard and I am goign to look into the ESWT stuff.
Thanks,
Melanie

melanie s on 6/22/01 at hrmin (051304)

I am going to find that out on Monday---when I see my pod. I really do not like taking meds becasue of all the crazy reactions I've had to so many different meds. The nerve pain is not the typical electrical running up my leg kind of pain. It is more the burning in my feet and occationally I have electrical type shocks when my ankle area is touched, but that typically goes to my toes, not up my legs. What would neurontin do to help me sleep...cease the heel paina nd the burning? I was actually thinking about looking into the ice night splints...those have been somewhat useful at night in the past, but the newer sytle splints increase the pain in the balls of my feet, I figure if I due the ice one, that would numb it away....

wendyn on 6/22/01 at 23:33 (051306)

Hi Melanie - my story is long - and it's late..but I do share a lot of similar symptoms to you.

The suggestions you've had for neurontin are probably very wise. I have not taken the drug myself - but it is supposed to be very effective in treating nerve pain.

The burning you describe is exactly the same type of pain that I get, only I get it mainly in my arches - not in my heels. My feet also turn bright red. Do you get color changes too?

If it's been 16 years already, please take your time if you are considering surgical options.

I have found some help with both properly made orthotics and acupuncture.

Please keep in touch.

melanie s on 6/23/01 at 13:16 (051352)

my feet only change color on the bottom...that would be a red color on the heel and ball of my foot. I have found that in order to reduce some of my pain, I end up walking different on my feet which then causes pain in a different area...the most current area would be the outsides of my feet as a result of rolling my feet out so I do not step on the heel or the ball of my foot. I will look into the meds...thanks for the suggestions.

john h on 6/23/01 at 19:19 (051366)

dr z or one of the other docs will be more tuned on this but if you heard a snap when they were cutting the fascia they well could have released the entire fascia. an orthopedic surgeon friend of mine (she is a foot and ankle surgeon) described to me when she tore her fascia completely loose from her heel and she described hearing and feeling a 'snap'. from what dr z tells me looking through the scope you really do not get a good view which is why many who used the scope have gone back to conventional or minimal invasive surgery where you get a better view of what you are cutting. did your foot ever get any better after the surgery and then regress at some point later on in time. wendy is the guru on tts and though i have had the surgery and tested positive it did not help. you of course could have a very different situation. your comment about what the doc said while cutting is sure not a confidence builder. keep reading help is out there somewhere.

melanie s on 6/24/01 at hrmin (051385)

There was no relief from the releases. I felt no different with the excpetion of extream pain when learning to walk again. As I mentioned, I was casted for about a month and therefore was unable to walk at all. I had a lot of atrophy and my heels were pretty tender and bruised. I started out in the pool and began to add more and more of my weight over time. I was thrilled to be back on my feet again, but was very disappointed to find the result less than successful. Thanks for your info. I am gonna seek out an untrasound with my new pod and see if he can detemrine if the doc cut the right thing and how much he actually cut.

john h on 6/24/01 at 13:22 (051417)

i do not know but i suspect if your entire fascia were released and you pull your toes up to tighten the fascia you will quickly see there is no tight fascia which would prominently stick out while performing this procedure..

Laurie R on 6/22/01 at 02:27 (051219)

Hello Malanie , welcome to the board. I don't have the answer you are looking for ,but I would like to suggest for you to read the heel pain book .... Also check out everything on this site. You will find the most compassionate people here ..... This site is my main support, it has helped me deal with my foot pain. I have PF right foot and tenosynivitis in my FHL tendon ,I have had this now for two years... So read all you can and ask any questions you may have. We all help each other here.. So again welcome ...... My very best to you . Laurie R

john h on 6/22/01 at 09:04 (051230)

malanie: you have sure been and continue to go through it! there are probably several people on this board who have similar stories including wheelchairs and all. i would start by asking the doctor who did both releases on your fascia how much fascia he released. if he did a complete release problems at a later date might be expected. i have had a TTS release and from my experience and what my own doctor told me it is a shot in the dark even with a positive emg study. i would even go to a neurologist to try and rule in or out TTS. having had a TTS release and PF release on one foot (i also have bi-laterial PF-7years). Is your pain localized or wide spread over your foot? If it was localized i would get a steriod shot into the area, not that it is a cure but if it provides relief it will give you an indication of where the problem is. I would also consider going to an Orthopedic Foot and Ankle Surgeon who has a Fellowship in Foot & Ankle Surgery. I sure would not jump into more surgery uless they can be assured that it will help. Of course ESWT is out there for you if your symptoms fit the criteria for the non invasive treatment. Your key is going to be to find the doctor who will take the time and has the expertise to accurately diagnose your problem. DO NOT give up. keep reading this board and all the info in scotts book and the experience that has got other people through this. you have many people here who understand what you are going through. Hang tough!

Paula G. on 6/22/01 at 10:40 (051243)

Hi. I have also tried everything. Did you get a cortizone shot? I know I just got a second one and it is so nice to have some relief. You must take care of those feet. Rest them as much as possible. I know when I sit down a good portion of the day doing something, my feet feel better.
We do not realize how much we are really on our feet. I am a stay at home mom taking care of children and a home and must force myself to sit down during the day.
I know standing still, ie, doing dishes or cooking is the worst. I took someone's advice and now use a stool.

Dr. Zuckerman on 6/22/01 at 16:44 (051278)

Hi,

Has anyone discussed neurontin for your nerve pain. May help you sleep

melanie s on 6/22/01 at hrmin (051303)

I have had the cortizone injections, they did nothing. My pain in located in the heel, and back of heel as well as the balls of my feet. If I am without orthotics my archs ache, but that is about it. The heel feels like someone is has a screwdriver stuck into the heel plate and another person is slamming a hammer into it. My new pod thinks that the PF releases may have not been done properly. I sure as heck do not want to go through that again though---lots more pain. The neuro study that was just completed last week or the week before is pretty accurate, the guy was great and he did conclude that I have TTS. Actually, from what I have found out, when I had the PF releases I was one of the first in the area to have it done with the scope and not a full opn foot procedure. So that is why they were not sure if they cut the right thing. Actually, during the procedure, the docs working on me were talking and one asked the other if he got it or not, once he had cut it. I sat up and let them know they had released it because I felt a snap. Then again, I was out of it and it was numb...so who knows. Thanks for the support. I plan to read more fromt he bioard and I am goign to look into the ESWT stuff.
Thanks,
Melanie

melanie s on 6/22/01 at hrmin (051304)

I am going to find that out on Monday---when I see my pod. I really do not like taking meds becasue of all the crazy reactions I've had to so many different meds. The nerve pain is not the typical electrical running up my leg kind of pain. It is more the burning in my feet and occationally I have electrical type shocks when my ankle area is touched, but that typically goes to my toes, not up my legs. What would neurontin do to help me sleep...cease the heel paina nd the burning? I was actually thinking about looking into the ice night splints...those have been somewhat useful at night in the past, but the newer sytle splints increase the pain in the balls of my feet, I figure if I due the ice one, that would numb it away....

wendyn on 6/22/01 at 23:33 (051306)

Hi Melanie - my story is long - and it's late..but I do share a lot of similar symptoms to you.

The suggestions you've had for neurontin are probably very wise. I have not taken the drug myself - but it is supposed to be very effective in treating nerve pain.

The burning you describe is exactly the same type of pain that I get, only I get it mainly in my arches - not in my heels. My feet also turn bright red. Do you get color changes too?

If it's been 16 years already, please take your time if you are considering surgical options.

I have found some help with both properly made orthotics and acupuncture.

Please keep in touch.

melanie s on 6/23/01 at 13:16 (051352)

my feet only change color on the bottom...that would be a red color on the heel and ball of my foot. I have found that in order to reduce some of my pain, I end up walking different on my feet which then causes pain in a different area...the most current area would be the outsides of my feet as a result of rolling my feet out so I do not step on the heel or the ball of my foot. I will look into the meds...thanks for the suggestions.

john h on 6/23/01 at 19:19 (051366)

dr z or one of the other docs will be more tuned on this but if you heard a snap when they were cutting the fascia they well could have released the entire fascia. an orthopedic surgeon friend of mine (she is a foot and ankle surgeon) described to me when she tore her fascia completely loose from her heel and she described hearing and feeling a 'snap'. from what dr z tells me looking through the scope you really do not get a good view which is why many who used the scope have gone back to conventional or minimal invasive surgery where you get a better view of what you are cutting. did your foot ever get any better after the surgery and then regress at some point later on in time. wendy is the guru on tts and though i have had the surgery and tested positive it did not help. you of course could have a very different situation. your comment about what the doc said while cutting is sure not a confidence builder. keep reading help is out there somewhere.

melanie s on 6/24/01 at hrmin (051385)

There was no relief from the releases. I felt no different with the excpetion of extream pain when learning to walk again. As I mentioned, I was casted for about a month and therefore was unable to walk at all. I had a lot of atrophy and my heels were pretty tender and bruised. I started out in the pool and began to add more and more of my weight over time. I was thrilled to be back on my feet again, but was very disappointed to find the result less than successful. Thanks for your info. I am gonna seek out an untrasound with my new pod and see if he can detemrine if the doc cut the right thing and how much he actually cut.

john h on 6/24/01 at 13:22 (051417)

i do not know but i suspect if your entire fascia were released and you pull your toes up to tighten the fascia you will quickly see there is no tight fascia which would prominently stick out while performing this procedure..