Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

To adjust or not adjust... That is the question...

Posted by Beverly on 6/22/01 at 15:46 (051272)

Hi orthodudes!

I've asked a similar question on the ask a doc board, but since this is about whether or not to get my orthodics that felt good until last week's relaspe adjusted, I value your opinion also.

I have PF/PTT/AT. .. chronic. Gradually, with my new orthodics (the first set to prove helpful), I've found my ankles feeling much
better. The orthodics help my ankles alot - almost from the moment I got into them. I saw less improvement with the feet, but until last week, I'd say they were a comfortable fit. I'd been gradually wearing them more and more... getting used to them, and had them adjusted once on each foot.

About a week ago, I made the mistake of walking to the pool in my Chaco water shoes... down a long concrete hallway ...better than average pool shoes but still not all that supportive. This was
about 300 feet in the pool shoes. By the time I got to the pool, my arches were killing me. I will never do that again.

Unfortunately, my arches are still VERY SORE. Every step hurts big time, especially in my athletic shoes with the orthodics.
What felt good a week ago, is now digging into my arches. (But they are still helping my ankles alot, much more than my Birks.)
My arches have not felt this bad in almost a year.

My massage therapist says my arches feel crunchy... like there is inflammation. It's many months since anyone described my
arches as crunchy or squishy.

I'm used to periodic setbacks. My delimma is what to do about my orthodics. Do you think I reinjured my arch enough to need
an orthodics adjustment? Could my arch change from such a short walk in pool shoes? Remember, they were a comfortable fit
until that walk to the pool in pool shoes. Should I give it more time before getting an adjustment? It feels like I'm walking on a
deep bruise.

Thanks,
Beverly

Re: To adjust or not adjust... That is the question...

Richard, C.Ped on 6/25/01 at 07:49 (051454)

Hi Bev,
I think you just over did it a bit. I would not adjust the orthotics. They were working fine before. This is one reason why we tell people with PF that everytime their feet touch the floor, wear your orthotics.

Richard

Dondi on 6/26/01 at hrmin (051561)

I have been thinking of taking swimming lessons. My main hesitation is what kind of shoe/support could I wear while standing in the pool during instruction. My new orthotics are made of eva and have some type on pad glued to the bottom-I don't believe these were intended to ever get wet. Right now motion control tennis is the only thing working for me, and I don't want to make the same mistake as Beverly and undo my current progess. But I would like to start some type of minimal impact exercise/therapy. Thank you...

Richard, C.Ped on 6/26/01 at 14:09 (051562)

If they are made out of EVA, there should not be a problem with the orthotics getting wet. If you are referring to a metatarsal pad, it still should not be a problem. We have people put theirs in the washing machine and not have any trouble. Just as long as you don't put it in the dryer.

You may want to ask the facility that made the orthotics what they think.
Richard

Re: A discovery... different athletic shoe made a difference

Beverly on 6/26/01 at 17:36 (051572)

Richard, Thanks for all the feedback. I just discovered something today.
I have two pairs of athletic shoes: MC Plus Asics and the Brooks Beast.
I usually wear the Asics, because they seem to have a little more support/heel height. Today I put on the Beast and voila! My orthodics are NOT digging into my arches! I'm going to alternate these shoes, because I still the the Asics are the most supportive, but it sure is nice not to feel that digging feeling in my arches. I'm amazed that there would be that much difference in two motion control shoes. (The store says they are each other's competitors in motion control shoes that run wide.)

I also saw the orthopedic doc yesterday. He said same thing all of you did that I just overdid it and since they are helping my ankles, he wants me to leave the orthodics alone at least for awhile.

My own solution in the water is to wear a floatie belt so my feet don't touch the bottom of the pool. I have not yet done water therapy but will probably do it eventually. I mostly float... big hat... book... sunglasses... be a bum by the pool.
Thanks,
Beverly

Mary M. on 6/27/01 at hrmin (051628)

Hi Dondi, I also am anxious to start a swimming program. I had ESWT in May and have been told to do nothing but stretches so far. I also play tennis and before ESWT I was playing 'no run' tennis w/ the pro. Let me know what kinds of exercise you are doing. Thanks. Mary

Dondi on 7/03/01 at 12:08 (052137)

Hi Mary,

I am currently exercising with a video called 'Chair Dancing'. I feel little silly doing the program, but it is the only way I can feel active without a lot of stress on my feet. I still have to be careful, because some of the movements look like they could aggravate my ankle. I also started using an exercise ball called a ' fit ball'. Too soon to know if there will be any noticable benefits. Thank you for your interest...

Richard, C.Ped on 6/25/01 at 07:49 (051454)

Hi Bev,
I think you just over did it a bit. I would not adjust the orthotics. They were working fine before. This is one reason why we tell people with PF that everytime their feet touch the floor, wear your orthotics.

Richard

Dondi on 6/26/01 at hrmin (051561)

I have been thinking of taking swimming lessons. My main hesitation is what kind of shoe/support could I wear while standing in the pool during instruction. My new orthotics are made of eva and have some type on pad glued to the bottom-I don't believe these were intended to ever get wet. Right now motion control tennis is the only thing working for me, and I don't want to make the same mistake as Beverly and undo my current progess. But I would like to start some type of minimal impact exercise/therapy. Thank you...

Richard, C.Ped on 6/26/01 at 14:09 (051562)

If they are made out of EVA, there should not be a problem with the orthotics getting wet. If you are referring to a metatarsal pad, it still should not be a problem. We have people put theirs in the washing machine and not have any trouble. Just as long as you don't put it in the dryer.

You may want to ask the facility that made the orthotics what they think.
Richard

Re: A discovery... different athletic shoe made a difference

Beverly on 6/26/01 at 17:36 (051572)

Richard, Thanks for all the feedback. I just discovered something today.
I have two pairs of athletic shoes: MC Plus Asics and the Brooks Beast.
I usually wear the Asics, because they seem to have a little more support/heel height. Today I put on the Beast and voila! My orthodics are NOT digging into my arches! I'm going to alternate these shoes, because I still the the Asics are the most supportive, but it sure is nice not to feel that digging feeling in my arches. I'm amazed that there would be that much difference in two motion control shoes. (The store says they are each other's competitors in motion control shoes that run wide.)

I also saw the orthopedic doc yesterday. He said same thing all of you did that I just overdid it and since they are helping my ankles, he wants me to leave the orthodics alone at least for awhile.

My own solution in the water is to wear a floatie belt so my feet don't touch the bottom of the pool. I have not yet done water therapy but will probably do it eventually. I mostly float... big hat... book... sunglasses... be a bum by the pool.
Thanks,
Beverly

Mary M. on 6/27/01 at hrmin (051628)

Hi Dondi, I also am anxious to start a swimming program. I had ESWT in May and have been told to do nothing but stretches so far. I also play tennis and before ESWT I was playing 'no run' tennis w/ the pro. Let me know what kinds of exercise you are doing. Thanks. Mary

Dondi on 7/03/01 at 12:08 (052137)

Hi Mary,

I am currently exercising with a video called 'Chair Dancing'. I feel little silly doing the program, but it is the only way I can feel active without a lot of stress on my feet. I still have to be careful, because some of the movements look like they could aggravate my ankle. I also started using an exercise ball called a ' fit ball'. Too soon to know if there will be any noticable benefits. Thank you for your interest...