Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Celebrex

Posted by Lori B. on 6/23/01 at 23:18 (051381)

Here is the next installment to my PF saga. My new Pod has been seeing me every two weeks and trying everything he can think of that I have not already tried in my 7 yrs of PF. At my last appt. he prescribed a second round of medipac Cortisone that seemed to help. At least the pain didn't seem to be as bad, (tho' it could have been due to my recent camping vacation where I was not on my feet as much). Because the cortisone seemed to help, he prescribed Celebrex.( He didn't want me to suffer any side effects from long term cortisone use). It appears to be helping, but I am only a few days into it, so we'll see. My question is, has anyone else tried Celebrex? Did it work for you? Were there any side effects? I would like to compare notes with anyone else who has tried it. Thanks.
Also, Dr. Z, what is your feeling about using Celebrex? Do you think it will work?

Re: Celebrex

john h on 6/24/01 at 08:23 (051397)

i tried celebrex for about two months. it didnot help me but that does not mean it want help you. seems nancy s said she used it for some months and she is better. i know several people who have arthritis and have been on celebrex since it first came out with no side effects. like so many drugs it is recommended you take a simple liver functions blood test after a few months. it's big selling point is that is much easier on your stomach than aspirin, etc with its cox inhibitors.

Nancy N on 6/24/01 at 10:02 (051403)

Lori--

I took Celebrex for 7 months, from August 2000 to March 2000, and for me, it was a lifesaver. I could tell a difference almost immediately (which sounds like it is true in your case, too), and it eventually got me down to a minimal pain level. I got new orthotics in March, and I think that they took over where the Celebrex left off--the Celebrex having left me in a much better position for the orthotics to do their work, I suspect.

Different drugs work for different people, of course. There are people on the board who swear by Vioxx, which I took for 6 weeks and might as well have taken a sugar pill for all it didn't do for me. So if you hear tales of people who've had no luck with Celebrex, that doesn't mean that it won't work for you. It is definitely worth giving it a shot to see what it can do for you, especially since it sounds like you have had some success with it already. Keep up with it, check in with your doctor to make sure you're OK with the drug (as far as the liver stuff goes), and make sure that you don't overdo things if you do feel relief, because it's hard to tell if the drug is just masking the pain, or if it's actually bringing down your inflammation, and especially when you've just started taking it and feel so much better, it's easy to forget that you should baby those feet anyway.

Let me know if you have other questions about it--I'm not a doctor, but it definitely worked for me.

Dr. Zuckerman on 6/24/01 at 10:27 (051405)

Hi,

Good drug. Can help alot . Must beware of GI ulceration still, and kidney and liver problems. So if you are going to be on it for a period of time get the labs.

Need to do other things with the use of Celebrex and pf. Rest, pt, orthosis, taping, stretching. read the heel pain book.

Beverly on 6/24/01 at 13:17 (051415)

I've used both Celebrex and Vioxx at different times. I can't see a big difference between them. In both cases, I think they helped a little. Nothing dramatic, but every little bit helps.

In each instance, I took the low dose version 2x a day rather than the regular dose. I found this, along with eating food with the meds, easier on my stomach. Periodically, if I get under personal stress and get a more tender stomach, I go off whichever anti-inflammatory I'm taking. I have not yet decided which of the two I like best. Be careful what other medication you are taking with it. Be sure your doctor knows all your meds. I discovered the hard way that Celebrex does not mix well with certain drugs.

Good luck,
Beverly

Donna M on 6/24/01 at 13:42 (051419)

Lori, I take celebrex 200mg twice a day and I can definitely tell if I forget to take it!! So it is helping me.
Good luck and I hope it keeps helping you!

Re: Celebrex/drug interactions

Nancy N on 6/24/01 at 18:00 (051433)

Bev--

I totally forgot to mention that, and it's very important! There is a large list of drugs that do not mix with Celebrex, among them simple things like other NSAIDS (including ibuprofen). If you're taking Celebrex and want to take something for a headache, Tylenol is pretty much your only option.

While I was taking it, I called the pharmacist before taking ANYTHING else with it, to be sure that it was safe.

Paula G. on 6/25/01 at 19:49 (051517)

I tried Celebrex and it upset my stomach a lot and did not work for me.
I have been reading about different side effects that come from using this medication.

Nancy N on 6/25/01 at 20:37 (051521)

Yes, it definitely doesn't work for everyone, and there was an article a few weeks ago in the New York Times about possible side effects of both Celebrex and Vioxx. I posted the link at the time; if it's still active, you should be able to find the article. You can probably find it if you search on 'celebrex vioxx side effects' or 'celebrex vioxx article.'

Lori B on 6/27/01 at 00:01 (051597)

Thanks to all of you for all your responses to my query about Celebrex. It does seem to help, as long as I take care of my feet, ie. resting and being sure to wear my orthotics. My pharmacist informed me about possible drug interactions with ibuprofen and aspirin, but my Dr didn't say anything about possible liver problems, so I will be sure to bring it up with him at my next appt.
I am a little frustrated about having to wear orthotics all the time, since women's shoes are not designed to accomodate orthotics for the most part. Wouldn't all you women agree? I basically have a pair of sandals and athletic shoes that I can wear with my orthotics. Hard to plan a wardrobe around. Even my Birkie's don't give me enough support anymore. It's really a bummer.
Anyway, thanks to all of you again and I'll keep you posted.

john h on 6/24/01 at 08:23 (051397)

i tried celebrex for about two months. it didnot help me but that does not mean it want help you. seems nancy s said she used it for some months and she is better. i know several people who have arthritis and have been on celebrex since it first came out with no side effects. like so many drugs it is recommended you take a simple liver functions blood test after a few months. it's big selling point is that is much easier on your stomach than aspirin, etc with its cox inhibitors.

Nancy N on 6/24/01 at 10:02 (051403)

Lori--

I took Celebrex for 7 months, from August 2000 to March 2000, and for me, it was a lifesaver. I could tell a difference almost immediately (which sounds like it is true in your case, too), and it eventually got me down to a minimal pain level. I got new orthotics in March, and I think that they took over where the Celebrex left off--the Celebrex having left me in a much better position for the orthotics to do their work, I suspect.

Different drugs work for different people, of course. There are people on the board who swear by Vioxx, which I took for 6 weeks and might as well have taken a sugar pill for all it didn't do for me. So if you hear tales of people who've had no luck with Celebrex, that doesn't mean that it won't work for you. It is definitely worth giving it a shot to see what it can do for you, especially since it sounds like you have had some success with it already. Keep up with it, check in with your doctor to make sure you're OK with the drug (as far as the liver stuff goes), and make sure that you don't overdo things if you do feel relief, because it's hard to tell if the drug is just masking the pain, or if it's actually bringing down your inflammation, and especially when you've just started taking it and feel so much better, it's easy to forget that you should baby those feet anyway.

Let me know if you have other questions about it--I'm not a doctor, but it definitely worked for me.

Dr. Zuckerman on 6/24/01 at 10:27 (051405)

Hi,

Good drug. Can help alot . Must beware of GI ulceration still, and kidney and liver problems. So if you are going to be on it for a period of time get the labs.

Need to do other things with the use of Celebrex and pf. Rest, pt, orthosis, taping, stretching. read the heel pain book.

Beverly on 6/24/01 at 13:17 (051415)

I've used both Celebrex and Vioxx at different times. I can't see a big difference between them. In both cases, I think they helped a little. Nothing dramatic, but every little bit helps.

In each instance, I took the low dose version 2x a day rather than the regular dose. I found this, along with eating food with the meds, easier on my stomach. Periodically, if I get under personal stress and get a more tender stomach, I go off whichever anti-inflammatory I'm taking. I have not yet decided which of the two I like best. Be careful what other medication you are taking with it. Be sure your doctor knows all your meds. I discovered the hard way that Celebrex does not mix well with certain drugs.

Good luck,
Beverly

Donna M on 6/24/01 at 13:42 (051419)

Lori, I take celebrex 200mg twice a day and I can definitely tell if I forget to take it!! So it is helping me.
Good luck and I hope it keeps helping you!

Re: Celebrex/drug interactions

Nancy N on 6/24/01 at 18:00 (051433)

Bev--

I totally forgot to mention that, and it's very important! There is a large list of drugs that do not mix with Celebrex, among them simple things like other NSAIDS (including ibuprofen). If you're taking Celebrex and want to take something for a headache, Tylenol is pretty much your only option.

While I was taking it, I called the pharmacist before taking ANYTHING else with it, to be sure that it was safe.

Paula G. on 6/25/01 at 19:49 (051517)

I tried Celebrex and it upset my stomach a lot and did not work for me.
I have been reading about different side effects that come from using this medication.

Nancy N on 6/25/01 at 20:37 (051521)

Yes, it definitely doesn't work for everyone, and there was an article a few weeks ago in the New York Times about possible side effects of both Celebrex and Vioxx. I posted the link at the time; if it's still active, you should be able to find the article. You can probably find it if you search on 'celebrex vioxx side effects' or 'celebrex vioxx article.'

Lori B on 6/27/01 at 00:01 (051597)

Thanks to all of you for all your responses to my query about Celebrex. It does seem to help, as long as I take care of my feet, ie. resting and being sure to wear my orthotics. My pharmacist informed me about possible drug interactions with ibuprofen and aspirin, but my Dr didn't say anything about possible liver problems, so I will be sure to bring it up with him at my next appt.
I am a little frustrated about having to wear orthotics all the time, since women's shoes are not designed to accomodate orthotics for the most part. Wouldn't all you women agree? I basically have a pair of sandals and athletic shoes that I can wear with my orthotics. Hard to plan a wardrobe around. Even my Birkie's don't give me enough support anymore. It's really a bummer.
Anyway, thanks to all of you again and I'll keep you posted.