Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

fibroma on fascia

Posted by Dee H on 6/24/01 at 07:29 (051394)

I have a lump (fibroma) on my arch. It doesn't hurt except when you press on it. My dr. has had me taped for 3 weeks now, rest, ice & taking an anti inflammitory medication. He has started to talk about a fasciaotomy (sp?). I had planta fascitis about 3 yrs ago & it took about 8 mopnths to go away. I am wondering if time will also heal this problem without surgery. What are the long term benefits/problems which occur with a fasciaotomy? Thanks

Re: fibroma on fascia

Dr. Zuckerman on 6/24/01 at 10:25 (051404)

Hi,

I wouldn't have a fasciotomy for this problem. The fact that it doesn't hurt unless you touch it tells me that you should wait and wait . Get orthosis, good shoes. Avoid bare feet. Very high rate of return when cutting out this fibroma.

Richard, C.Ped on 6/25/01 at 15:42 (051498)

Hi Dee,
You are not alone...I have the too.
Richard

Dee H on 6/25/01 at 21:29 (051523)

I do have orthotics & am wearing New Balance tennis shoes -oh how I miss my birkenstocks this hot summer. What would you consider a time frame for recovery? I do realize that you have not seen the injury. Could this have been caused by walking on sand at the beach?

Joan S on 6/26/01 at 22:24 (051590)

I also have a fibromia in the arch area. Dr. told me to wear a shoe with a slight heel and an orthodic heel lift. The pain came from a running shoe with an arch which pressed on the fibromia and in turn pressed on the nerves in the foot. By doing this I have no pain now.

joyce on 7/06/01 at hrmin (052368)

Dee, I have this same condition on both of my arches which appeared approx 9 months ago. Mine do not hurt either but they concern me because they are both getting larger. Standing on cement floors at work I have always worn easy spirits or something with good arch supports, but this condition still developed. I am going to try the shoes that Dr. Zuckerman recommended to me several weeks ago and I am NOT going to have the surgery due to too many possible complications. Joyce

Dr. Zuckerman on 6/24/01 at 10:25 (051404)

Hi,

I wouldn't have a fasciotomy for this problem. The fact that it doesn't hurt unless you touch it tells me that you should wait and wait . Get orthosis, good shoes. Avoid bare feet. Very high rate of return when cutting out this fibroma.

Richard, C.Ped on 6/25/01 at 15:42 (051498)

Hi Dee,
You are not alone...I have the too.
Richard

Dee H on 6/25/01 at 21:29 (051523)

I do have orthotics & am wearing New Balance tennis shoes -oh how I miss my birkenstocks this hot summer. What would you consider a time frame for recovery? I do realize that you have not seen the injury. Could this have been caused by walking on sand at the beach?

Joan S on 6/26/01 at 22:24 (051590)

I also have a fibromia in the arch area. Dr. told me to wear a shoe with a slight heel and an orthodic heel lift. The pain came from a running shoe with an arch which pressed on the fibromia and in turn pressed on the nerves in the foot. By doing this I have no pain now.

joyce on 7/06/01 at hrmin (052368)

Dee, I have this same condition on both of my arches which appeared approx 9 months ago. Mine do not hurt either but they concern me because they are both getting larger. Standing on cement floors at work I have always worn easy spirits or something with good arch supports, but this condition still developed. I am going to try the shoes that Dr. Zuckerman recommended to me several weeks ago and I am NOT going to have the surgery due to too many possible complications. Joyce