Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

achillies tendon surgery

Posted by robert minerva on 6/24/01 at hrmin (051446)

I need some help finding information about the rehabilitation of the achillies tendon. I am new to the computer and can't seem to find any sites about the rehab. I was boxing with a low cut wrestling shoe and wrapped the extra laces around the back of my ankle, and pulled it tight. I stepped back and torn the tendon completly. I had surgery 82 days ago, and was on cruthes for two months. I started walking in a walking type boot and started swimming. much different then boxing. If someone could help me I would appreciate it very much. I need to know how much to stretch without hurting it, but still help promote proper scar tissue formation. does ultra sound help? please e-mail me at rminerva@fresno.ca.gov

Re: achillies tendon surgery

Dr. Zuckerman on 6/25/01 at 15:58 (051499)

Lets see you are in the third months . Have you been to a physical therapist or any rehab center. Stretching is very important at this point. Wall stretches are important. I can't recommend how much stretching without an examination to see how well the achilles has mended together and your Range of motion at the ankle joint.

Boxing is one of my favorite sports . First time I heard of this injuryin boxing. I have been knocked off my feet before but never had the achilles rip. Are you boxing flat footed ?

robert minerva on 6/27/01 at 22:01 (051686)

thanks for the response Doctor Zuckerman. I appreciate it. And yes I was boxing in a low cut wrestling shoe instead of my normal boxing shoe,that has a little heal to it. And I am flat footed. My current Doctor wants me to start transitioning to my regular shoe. One of my problems is I am not sure how much pain I need to 'push' through. I am a sheriff's Deputy and hike in the mountains for marijuana. Does a heel lift in my boot help me to not re-injure my achillies? Is taping the ankle a good method of preventing injury during boxing? once again i appreciate your response.

Dr. Zuckerman on 6/25/01 at 15:58 (051499)

Lets see you are in the third months . Have you been to a physical therapist or any rehab center. Stretching is very important at this point. Wall stretches are important. I can't recommend how much stretching without an examination to see how well the achilles has mended together and your Range of motion at the ankle joint.

Boxing is one of my favorite sports . First time I heard of this injuryin boxing. I have been knocked off my feet before but never had the achilles rip. Are you boxing flat footed ?

robert minerva on 6/27/01 at 22:01 (051686)

thanks for the response Doctor Zuckerman. I appreciate it. And yes I was boxing in a low cut wrestling shoe instead of my normal boxing shoe,that has a little heal to it. And I am flat footed. My current Doctor wants me to start transitioning to my regular shoe. One of my problems is I am not sure how much pain I need to 'push' through. I am a sheriff's Deputy and hike in the mountains for marijuana. Does a heel lift in my boot help me to not re-injure my achillies? Is taping the ankle a good method of preventing injury during boxing? once again i appreciate your response.