Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Heel better, but knee and lower back killing me

Posted by Linda P. on 6/25/01 at hrmin (051457)

My heel pain developed about 9 months ago. I recently bought Nu-Balance running shoes to wear all of the time. I am trying my 4th set of insoles/arch supports. Each time, the higher arch of the insole/arch support seems to be rapidly improving heel pain, but within 2 or 3 days of wearing the new insole/arch support, I develop nighttime aching in the knee of the hurt foot, and also lower back pain on that side of my back. I don't feel the problem as much on the nights that I don't walk for exercise, but when I walk over a mile it's pretty bad. What am I doing wrong?

Re: Heel better, but knee and lower back killing me

Julie on 6/25/01 at 11:39 (051472)

Linda, I'm not a doctor and can't comment on if/why your arch supports are contributing to your knee and lower back pain. But I would say that you are walking too much. 'Over a mile' is a lot of walking for a PF foot! (I'm sure you've heard that PF requires rest. i.e. staying off your feet, in order to heal.) Is it possible you are compensating for the pain in your foot by changing your gait/your weight distribution as you walk? Compensating for pain in one part of the body usually leads to problems elsewhere, and knee, hip and lower back problems are often a knock-on effect of compensating for PF pain.

Richard, C.Ped on 6/26/01 at 16:03 (051565)

I agree with Julie. Also, it may have something to do with how the orthotics were made, such as not being properly interfaced with your shoes. There could be a few factors in play.

If you received your orthotics from a physician, let him or her know about the pain. If you went to a pedorthic facility, again, let them know as well.
Richard

Mary S. on 6/26/01 at 22:09 (051587)

Julie is absolutely correct. With my foot problem, I had to change my gait and weight distribution. As a result, my hip and back began to really hurt. Listen to Julie, and talk to your doctor. I sympathize!! Good luck!

Julie on 6/25/01 at 11:39 (051472)

Linda, I'm not a doctor and can't comment on if/why your arch supports are contributing to your knee and lower back pain. But I would say that you are walking too much. 'Over a mile' is a lot of walking for a PF foot! (I'm sure you've heard that PF requires rest. i.e. staying off your feet, in order to heal.) Is it possible you are compensating for the pain in your foot by changing your gait/your weight distribution as you walk? Compensating for pain in one part of the body usually leads to problems elsewhere, and knee, hip and lower back problems are often a knock-on effect of compensating for PF pain.

Richard, C.Ped on 6/26/01 at 16:03 (051565)

I agree with Julie. Also, it may have something to do with how the orthotics were made, such as not being properly interfaced with your shoes. There could be a few factors in play.

If you received your orthotics from a physician, let him or her know about the pain. If you went to a pedorthic facility, again, let them know as well.
Richard

Mary S. on 6/26/01 at 22:09 (051587)

Julie is absolutely correct. With my foot problem, I had to change my gait and weight distribution. As a result, my hip and back began to really hurt. Listen to Julie, and talk to your doctor. I sympathize!! Good luck!