Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

John H. and others post-ESWT

Posted by Cindy H on 6/25/01 at hrmin (051467)

I don't come to this board except once and week or two...anyway, John H., I notice somewhere you said you have had three orbasone treatments all 6 months apart, correct? Just wondering how you're doing now and what you were like painwise and activity wise up to your getting ESWT.

Had my ESWT Treatments done three weeks ago now (both feet) and have been using Jade Balm as well. My pain now is more constant but more like soreness than stabbing pain...I assume this is from the zaps from the ESWT machine. Since I don't have the horrible, crippling pain upon rising from tbed in the AM and after sitting at a desk I am still optimistic that I am getting better and will get much better yet.

I know some get better slower or have something less in their success rate when having had both feet done...should people having had both feet done sit it out more afterwards?

Thanks all,
Cindy in OK

Re: John H. and others post-ESWT

john h on 6/26/01 at 12:26 (051555)

sent you an email cindy.

Dr. Marlene Reid on 7/11/01 at hrmin (052749)

I hear the same thing from some of my ESW patients. That stabbing am pain is much improved but at the 2 or 3 week, there is a lot of soreness. I had one patient that had two distinct areas and I gave her a little longer course of the ESW (OssaTron, one treatment) to cover the two spots and she is a lot more tender then other patients have been. I'm anxious to see if her healing takes longer then the others.

Also, the sucess rate has been shown to be about 15% less when done bilaterally. i'm not sure why.

Re: Dr Marlene Reid and others post-ESWT

Julie on 7/11/01 at 03:32 (052767)

Mightn't the lower success rate with bi-lateral ESWT be due to the patients not being able to 'rest' either of the treated feet? If only one is done, it can be favoured for a while even when ambulatory; if both are done, there is no avoiding weight-bearing at least some of the time.

Dr. Marlene Reid on 7/11/01 at 09:25 (052783)

I don't think that's it. You really don't need to rest, per say, just stretch and concentrate on your shoe gear.

Julie on 7/11/01 at 11:25 (052800)

Yes, thanks. I know it's not the same as post-surgery. I should have said that I was really thinking of the patients who experience considerable pain after ESWT (there have been a few on the board recently). If a person had pain in both feet, and so couldn't favour either, mightn't that effect the outcome?

Or perhaps those patients who have post-ESWT pain are in any case the ones for whom treatment is less likely to be successful? Just speculating.

john h on 7/13/01 at 11:06 (053036)

having bi-laterial pf and had 3 treatments on each foot (i had both feet treated at same time in each case) i can say in my case that i never had any soreness or swelling after treatment. in all cases my feet improved over the first 3 weeks. i still have setbacks but my feeling is that my feet are better after the 3 treatments than before the treatments although not dramatically. I have been down as low as a pain level of 1 for 4 weeks and no higher than a 3 for the past 2 years. sometimes it is difficultt to differentiate between the physical pain in your foot you feel and emotional pain that comes from not being able to do all the things you once could do. the thought will creep into your head that 'i will have this forever' and a physical pain level of 2 can suddenly jump to a 5. the mind body connection is strong.

john h on 6/26/01 at 12:26 (051555)

sent you an email cindy.

Dr. Marlene Reid on 7/11/01 at hrmin (052749)

I hear the same thing from some of my ESW patients. That stabbing am pain is much improved but at the 2 or 3 week, there is a lot of soreness. I had one patient that had two distinct areas and I gave her a little longer course of the ESW (OssaTron, one treatment) to cover the two spots and she is a lot more tender then other patients have been. I'm anxious to see if her healing takes longer then the others.

Also, the sucess rate has been shown to be about 15% less when done bilaterally. i'm not sure why.

Julie on 7/11/01 at 03:32 (052767)

Mightn't the lower success rate with bi-lateral ESWT be due to the patients not being able to 'rest' either of the treated feet? If only one is done, it can be favoured for a while even when ambulatory; if both are done, there is no avoiding weight-bearing at least some of the time.

Dr. Marlene Reid on 7/11/01 at 09:25 (052783)

I don't think that's it. You really don't need to rest, per say, just stretch and concentrate on your shoe gear.

Julie on 7/11/01 at 11:25 (052800)

Yes, thanks. I know it's not the same as post-surgery. I should have said that I was really thinking of the patients who experience considerable pain after ESWT (there have been a few on the board recently). If a person had pain in both feet, and so couldn't favour either, mightn't that effect the outcome?

Or perhaps those patients who have post-ESWT pain are in any case the ones for whom treatment is less likely to be successful? Just speculating.

john h on 7/13/01 at 11:06 (053036)

having bi-laterial pf and had 3 treatments on each foot (i had both feet treated at same time in each case) i can say in my case that i never had any soreness or swelling after treatment. in all cases my feet improved over the first 3 weeks. i still have setbacks but my feeling is that my feet are better after the 3 treatments than before the treatments although not dramatically. I have been down as low as a pain level of 1 for 4 weeks and no higher than a 3 for the past 2 years. sometimes it is difficultt to differentiate between the physical pain in your foot you feel and emotional pain that comes from not being able to do all the things you once could do. the thought will creep into your head that 'i will have this forever' and a physical pain level of 2 can suddenly jump to a 5. the mind body connection is strong.