Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

COLLAGEN BUILDUP S/P FASCIITOMY AND SCLERODOMA CONNECTION

Posted by karol b on 6/25/01 at hrmin (051495)

I AM AN IDENTICAL TWIN WHO HAD A FASCIITOMY 2 YEARS AGO. MY PAIN HAS BEEN WORSE IN THE PAST YEAR SINCE PRIOR TO SURGERY EVEN THOUGH I HAVE TRIED INJECTIONS, ULTRASOUND, STRAPPING, MEDICATIONS AND INSERTS. A RECENT MRI SHOWED A VERY THICK PLANTAR FASCIA AT ITS CENTRAL COMPONENT. I HAVE BEEN ALSO TOLD IT COULD BE A COLLAGEN BUILDUP OR SCAR TISSUE. SURGERY HAS BEEN RECOMMENDED TO CUT THE FASCIA.

MY CONCERN IS I HAVE A TWIN SISTER WHO WAS DIAGNOSED 3 YEARS AGO WITH SCLERODERMA, WHICH IS A COLLAGEN BUILDUP AUTOIMMUNE DISEASE. THE RADIOLOGIST AND PODIATRIST HAVE MENTIONED THAT MY FASCIA IS THE THICKEST EVER SEEN - COULD THIS HAVE ANY CONNECTION TO MY SISTER'S CONDITION?

THANK YOU,
KAROL

Re: COLLAGEN BUILDUP S/P FASCIITOMY AND SCLERODOMA CONNECTION

Dr. Zuckerman on 6/25/01 at 16:00 (051500)

Hi,

You can develop Rhematoid arthritis associated with scleroderma which in fact can contribute to the thickened fascia and other joint related pain if you are having this. Having a fasciotomy with Scleroderma could just weaken the fascia without relieving any pain.

KAROL B on 6/27/01 at hrmin (051634)

I have not been diagnosed with scleroderma and recent tests have come back negative for the ANA. But since my identical twin has been diagnosed with it and she does not have Rhematoid arthritis, are you saying I still could have the thickened fascia due to Rhematoid arthritis? Previous tests have stated a mildly active acute phase, possibly associated with Rheumatoid artritis or Collagen vascular disease or a particularly early immune response and a positive ANA @ 1:160, homogenous; this pattern is seen in SLE, other connective tissue diseases adn in therapy with certain drugs. I am planning on redoing surgery to the fascia on 7/6/01. Is collagen buildup a connective tissue diesase or a thickened fascia due to previous surgery. Will surgery correct or help alleviate the pain in my situation. I am a little confused with your last sentence. Is that what may have happened in my original surgery?

Thank you for your response,
Karol

Dr. Zuckerman on 6/25/01 at 16:00 (051500)

Hi,

You can develop Rhematoid arthritis associated with scleroderma which in fact can contribute to the thickened fascia and other joint related pain if you are having this. Having a fasciotomy with Scleroderma could just weaken the fascia without relieving any pain.

KAROL B on 6/27/01 at hrmin (051634)

I have not been diagnosed with scleroderma and recent tests have come back negative for the ANA. But since my identical twin has been diagnosed with it and she does not have Rhematoid arthritis, are you saying I still could have the thickened fascia due to Rhematoid arthritis? Previous tests have stated a mildly active acute phase, possibly associated with Rheumatoid artritis or Collagen vascular disease or a particularly early immune response and a positive ANA @ 1:160, homogenous; this pattern is seen in SLE, other connective tissue diseases adn in therapy with certain drugs. I am planning on redoing surgery to the fascia on 7/6/01. Is collagen buildup a connective tissue diesase or a thickened fascia due to previous surgery. Will surgery correct or help alleviate the pain in my situation. I am a little confused with your last sentence. Is that what may have happened in my original surgery?

Thank you for your response,
Karol