Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

POSTERIOR HEEL PAIN

Posted by REBECCA H. on 6/25/01 at 19:25 (051515)

Twisted my ankle by falling at the bottom of a flight of stairs just before Easter. Xray was negative for fracture. Incidentally, xray showed a heelspur, although I had never had any discomfort. Swelling, bruising and pain in ankle area improved with NSAIDS, rest, ice and then heat. Recently I have started having severe discomfort and stiffness in the back of my heel. This pain and discomfort is equally as bad first thing in the morning as it is later in the day, and is especially bad when going down steps. Please help with your thoughts as to whether this is from the heel spur or some other problem. Your advice is really appreciated.

Re: POSTERIOR HEEL PAIN

Teresa M on 6/29/01 at hrmin (051924)

I didn't have an injury, but I have very similar pain as Rebecca. The BACK of my heel is killing me! It's painful all the time, but especially in the a.m. and when I try to go down the stairs. The back of the heel is also bigger on that side than the other foot. I went to my Podiatrist and he did an xray, added some height to my orthotics and wants to see me back in the office in two weeks. He said this time, fixing it might not be so simple, but he didn't actually give me a name for this condition. I had Planter Fasciitis several years ago (same foot) and started wearing orthotics. I didn't start having this trouble until about 6 weeks ago.
I would be very interested in hearing what the Docs say. (BTW, I have high arches, overweight, stand all day, and age 50) I would appreciate learning anything I can about this condition.

DR. Zuckerman on 6/30/01 at 15:09 (051949)

Hi,

It sounds like you have insertional achilles tendonitis. Did the x-ray show calcification at the back of the heel. This is a very common condition . Treatment is very difficult and local steriod injection should never be done for this. I repeat never allow your doctor to inject the achilles tendon. How long has this problem been going on. ? We have been using ESWT for this went the problem is chronic and you are in severe foot pain. ESWT is an option for avoiding any foot surgery. IF you would like additional informaton for this approach, you can contact my coordinator at heelhelp@bee.net

Teresa M on 7/03/01 at hrmin (052164)

Thank-you, Dr Z. YES, I think my doc said something about calcification. He was looking 'serious' at my xray when he said we weren't going to get away so easily this time. I thought my orthotics had just worn down and maybe I needed new ones. I guess more is going on in that foot than I realized. The intense pain only began 4 to 5 weeks ago, corresponding to getting new sandals. I ALWAYS wear my orthotics in all of my work shoes, but thought the sandals caused the problem.

I will heed your comment on no injections at that site! (rather not, anyway and want to avoid ANY surgery, so I'm off now to read your links on ESWT and will become a knowledgable patient, as well as asking Dr Marshall (my POD doc) some appropiate questions when I have my appt. 7/13.

In the meantime, the hightened heel has help a little. I'll be back. BTW, this is a wonderful website--I'm very glad to have found it!

Teresa M on 6/29/01 at hrmin (051924)

I didn't have an injury, but I have very similar pain as Rebecca. The BACK of my heel is killing me! It's painful all the time, but especially in the a.m. and when I try to go down the stairs. The back of the heel is also bigger on that side than the other foot. I went to my Podiatrist and he did an xray, added some height to my orthotics and wants to see me back in the office in two weeks. He said this time, fixing it might not be so simple, but he didn't actually give me a name for this condition. I had Planter Fasciitis several years ago (same foot) and started wearing orthotics. I didn't start having this trouble until about 6 weeks ago.
I would be very interested in hearing what the Docs say. (BTW, I have high arches, overweight, stand all day, and age 50) I would appreciate learning anything I can about this condition.

DR. Zuckerman on 6/30/01 at 15:09 (051949)

Hi,

It sounds like you have insertional achilles tendonitis. Did the x-ray show calcification at the back of the heel. This is a very common condition . Treatment is very difficult and local steriod injection should never be done for this. I repeat never allow your doctor to inject the achilles tendon. How long has this problem been going on. ? We have been using ESWT for this went the problem is chronic and you are in severe foot pain. ESWT is an option for avoiding any foot surgery. IF you would like additional informaton for this approach, you can contact my coordinator at heelhelp@bee.net

Teresa M on 7/03/01 at hrmin (052164)

Thank-you, Dr Z. YES, I think my doc said something about calcification. He was looking 'serious' at my xray when he said we weren't going to get away so easily this time. I thought my orthotics had just worn down and maybe I needed new ones. I guess more is going on in that foot than I realized. The intense pain only began 4 to 5 weeks ago, corresponding to getting new sandals. I ALWAYS wear my orthotics in all of my work shoes, but thought the sandals caused the problem.

I will heed your comment on no injections at that site! (rather not, anyway and want to avoid ANY surgery, so I'm off now to read your links on ESWT and will become a knowledgable patient, as well as asking Dr Marshall (my POD doc) some appropiate questions when I have my appt. 7/13.

In the meantime, the hightened heel has help a little. I'll be back. BTW, this is a wonderful website--I'm very glad to have found it!