Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Pod recommends bone scan

Posted by Linda A on 6/25/01 at hrmin (051520)

I have met some wonderful, helping people here at heel spurs.com and I thank you all for your comments and helpful suggestions. I returned to my POD today and my foot was still swollen and red and very painful. He pointed out the heel spur in the xrays and my heel is actually feeling better. But, the top of my foot is very painful. Since the top of my foot is not better he said I should have a bone scan and he put a brace on my foot. I suggested to my POD that I take a few days off work and rest my foot. I work 8 hours a day standing, walking, squatting on hard surface floors. He said 'Why take time off work when we don't know what for sure is wrong yet. Let's wait until we see what the bone scan shows. Taking time off work and resting won't help a fracture but if it is tendon or ligament problem then it will help to take time off.'

It seems to me that when I am in pain that rest will help no matter what the problem is. Am I wrong on this issue? Thanks

Re: Pod recommends bone scan

Julie on 6/26/01 at 02:08 (051534)

Linda, I'm sure you're not wrong, and I don't understand your pod's reasoning. If you're in pain, standing and walking and squatting on hard floors is obviously going to cause you more pain even if it doesn't worsen whatever the condition is. Anyway, he isn't your employer, and it's your decision, so if you can take a few days off do, and enjoy the sunshine!

Mary S. on 6/26/01 at 22:21 (051588)

Linda-there are people in this world who are fortunate enough to never experience foot pain, and as a result they(most of them) are totally insensitive to, and oblivious to what this kind of suffering is like. The best that most can do is to say, 'oh my goodness, I'm sorry', and that's fine, because I understand that they do not relate. In short, you know how bad it is, and if it is more than you can tolerate, stay off of your feet.
My heart goes out to you, because I know how awful it can be. A pod should be more in tune with the needs and suffering of their patients than yours seems to be. Stay home-don't feel guilty. Take care and keep us posted.

Julie on 6/26/01 at 02:08 (051534)

Linda, I'm sure you're not wrong, and I don't understand your pod's reasoning. If you're in pain, standing and walking and squatting on hard floors is obviously going to cause you more pain even if it doesn't worsen whatever the condition is. Anyway, he isn't your employer, and it's your decision, so if you can take a few days off do, and enjoy the sunshine!

Mary S. on 6/26/01 at 22:21 (051588)

Linda-there are people in this world who are fortunate enough to never experience foot pain, and as a result they(most of them) are totally insensitive to, and oblivious to what this kind of suffering is like. The best that most can do is to say, 'oh my goodness, I'm sorry', and that's fine, because I understand that they do not relate. In short, you know how bad it is, and if it is more than you can tolerate, stay off of your feet.
My heart goes out to you, because I know how awful it can be. A pod should be more in tune with the needs and suffering of their patients than yours seems to be. Stay home-don't feel guilty. Take care and keep us posted.