Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Surgery

Posted by Donna on 6/27/01 at hrmin (051632)

So it has been 5 years, of stretching, icing, prescription drugs, orthotics, taping....so now the pain has moved to my ankle as well..I finally was sent to a surgeon...and he took an x-ray. On top of PF I have a heel spur....he recommeneds having it removed since nothing else has given me relief for years....my question is, is removing the heel spur really effective..and how long are you our of commission???

Donna

Re: Surgery

john h on 6/28/01 at 10:10 (051732)

heelspurs are generally considered the result of PF and are not the cause. removing the spur in my readings generally does not solve the problem, many people have heelspurs with no pain and many people have pain with no heelspurs.

Julie on 6/28/01 at 11:47 (051739)

Donna, John is right - it has been explained to us by the doctors here that a spur is the body's response to the tear in the plantar fascia: it lays down bone deposits in an attempt to heal the tear. Very few in the foot-doctoring profession think any longer that the spur is the cause of the pain.

A surgeon always thinks that surgery is the answer: that's what he knows how to do.

So be careful. Are you happy with the podiatrist(s) you've had over these five years? It might be time for another.

Have you evaluated your shoes lately? Are they supportive? Are you changing them often enough? Are they the right size? Lots of people wear shoes a size too small: our feet spread as we get older.

Are your orthotics right for you? If you've had them a long time you may need new ones even if they were right to begin with.

All these things, and others, should probably be re-looked at before you settle for the knife.

And have you investigated ESWT?

john h on 6/28/01 at 10:10 (051732)

heelspurs are generally considered the result of PF and are not the cause. removing the spur in my readings generally does not solve the problem, many people have heelspurs with no pain and many people have pain with no heelspurs.

Julie on 6/28/01 at 11:47 (051739)

Donna, John is right - it has been explained to us by the doctors here that a spur is the body's response to the tear in the plantar fascia: it lays down bone deposits in an attempt to heal the tear. Very few in the foot-doctoring profession think any longer that the spur is the cause of the pain.

A surgeon always thinks that surgery is the answer: that's what he knows how to do.

So be careful. Are you happy with the podiatrist(s) you've had over these five years? It might be time for another.

Have you evaluated your shoes lately? Are they supportive? Are you changing them often enough? Are they the right size? Lots of people wear shoes a size too small: our feet spread as we get older.

Are your orthotics right for you? If you've had them a long time you may need new ones even if they were right to begin with.

All these things, and others, should probably be re-looked at before you settle for the knife.

And have you investigated ESWT?