Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Stable footwear for high arched feet - need suggestions

Posted by Helene M on 6/27/01 at 12:04 (051638)

Have any high-arched people found supportive, stiff-soled shoes that are helpful for PF, with or without orthotics? (beside Birks). Something that doesn't bottom out. I prefer to go without orthotics since so far they've done more harm than good. The footwear choices out there can be mind-boggling. My steel-shanked hiking boots were great for winter but obviously not for this time of year. I'd welcome all suggestions. Thanks.

Re: Stable footwear for high arched feet - need suggestions

JudyS on 6/27/01 at 12:56 (051646)

Helene - I found two brands that I like, Josef Seibel and Mephistos. I'm no good with Birks either.

Lori E. on 6/27/01 at 17:18 (051668)

I found the Mephisto Holiday shoes to be good for my high arched feet. They are expensive, but when I look back at all the money I spent trying to find the right shoe...I wish I would have got them earlier. I found the best shoe guy at Nordstrom's (at the Mall of America.) They have lots and lots of different kinds of shoes there. I told the shoe guy what I had(PF) and what I needed and he brought out 3 different kinds of shoes for me to try. Less time spent searching on my feet, you know. Good luck on your shoe hunt.

Helene M on 6/28/01 at 12:23 (051747)

Thank you ladies. I am curious, are you wearing these shoes with or without orthotics?

Lori E. on 6/28/01 at 13:09 (051757)

Helene,
I wear my Mephistos without orthodics. I also have some Handsewn Birk Tatamis, but they are too soft to wear out of the house, or if I have to go up and down the stairs. I have D-soles in the Birks. Good luck!

AnnabelM on 6/29/01 at hrmin (051910)

I found some Hytec low cut shoes that seem to be better than NB or anything for my high arches. Not all hytec's are the same either.

JudyS on 6/27/01 at 12:56 (051646)

Helene - I found two brands that I like, Josef Seibel and Mephistos. I'm no good with Birks either.

Lori E. on 6/27/01 at 17:18 (051668)

I found the Mephisto Holiday shoes to be good for my high arched feet. They are expensive, but when I look back at all the money I spent trying to find the right shoe...I wish I would have got them earlier. I found the best shoe guy at Nordstrom's (at the Mall of America.) They have lots and lots of different kinds of shoes there. I told the shoe guy what I had(PF) and what I needed and he brought out 3 different kinds of shoes for me to try. Less time spent searching on my feet, you know. Good luck on your shoe hunt.

Helene M on 6/28/01 at 12:23 (051747)

Thank you ladies. I am curious, are you wearing these shoes with or without orthotics?

Lori E. on 6/28/01 at 13:09 (051757)

Helene,
I wear my Mephistos without orthodics. I also have some Handsewn Birk Tatamis, but they are too soft to wear out of the house, or if I have to go up and down the stairs. I have D-soles in the Birks. Good luck!

AnnabelM on 6/29/01 at hrmin (051910)

I found some Hytec low cut shoes that seem to be better than NB or anything for my high arches. Not all hytec's are the same either.