Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Six Weeks Post-op and making progress

Posted by Andrea R. on 6/27/01 at 12:53 (051644)

I saw my doctor on Monday and he said I was progressing quite well. He doesn't need to see me again unless I have a problem. I'm wearing shoes with Birkenstock inserts, which seem to be working better than my custom orthotics ever did and were a lot cheaper. I'm still using two crutches when I have to walk a distance and one crutch or a cane the rest of time. The two crutches allow me to keep my body properly aligned so my back and hip don't start hurting. I can go around the house unassisted if I don't push it. My only instructions now are to keep stretching and massaging and 'listen to my foot.' So far I'm glad I had the surgery. I was prepared for a long recovery and the doc said it still could take up to a year to fully recover.

I never had any casts (except for a few days just after the stitches came out in a removeable one till I found my shoe was more comfortable). I started doing some stretching the day after surgery and it looks like I won't need any PT.

Hey Bruce, how are you doing? Haven't seen any posts from you in a while.

Andrea

Re: What surgery did you have?

Jana on 6/28/01 at hrmin (051753)

I haven't been following your posts, what surgery did you have?

Andrea R. on 6/29/01 at 07:27 (051838)

Jana,

I had an open 3/4 PF release, heel spur removal and nerve release (the small nerves that travel under the plantar fascia are identified and released from anything that seems to be causing pressure on the nerves). The surgery was done by a foot and ankle orthopedist. I had spinal and the actual procedure took about a half hour.

Andrea

Jana on 6/28/01 at hrmin (051753)

I haven't been following your posts, what surgery did you have?

Andrea R. on 6/29/01 at 07:27 (051838)

Jana,

I had an open 3/4 PF release, heel spur removal and nerve release (the small nerves that travel under the plantar fascia are identified and released from anything that seems to be causing pressure on the nerves). The surgery was done by a foot and ankle orthopedist. I had spinal and the actual procedure took about a half hour.

Andrea