Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

"1 - 10" Pain Level Explanation

Posted by janet c. on 6/27/01 at 23:19 (051695)

I received a Patient Handbook from my Dr. recently, entitled Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy, put out by RSDSA of California, May 1996. The pamphlet is filled with lots of great information, but this one page that I thought might be interesting to you, is the one that explains and gives examples of the 1 - 10 Pain scale that Drs. often use:

'A Pain Level of 1 - 4 is Tolerable.

A Pain Level of 5 - 7 is still Tolerable.
It really hurts, and you don't like it - but you can tolerate this much pain. You're not in a panic or crisis.

A Pain Level of 8 is Borderline.
You are having a difficult time concentrating or resting. You are anxious, worried, and focused mostly on the Pain!

A Pain Level of 9 - 10 is INTOLERABLE!
You can't distract yourself from the pain. It is impossible to sleep or do anything. You need help right away - You're in crisis!'

It continues to say,'This is only an example; but by learning to realistically and honestly identify your TOLERABLE AND INTOLERABLE LEVEL OF PAIN, you can take control of your life. You will have times when the pain level varies. When the pain is more tolerable, it is necessary to learn to enjoy these periods and utilize this time to do the things that are important to you.'

I hope that this is able to be of some interest, and assistance to those living in pain. There's much more that I could share with you, if there is any interest, regarding, How To Empower Yourself, and The Steps To Healing, also in this educational pamphlet.

I wish you all many healthy, and happy days ~

~Janet

Re: "1 - 10" Pain Level Explanation

wendyn on 6/27/01 at 23:28 (051696)

Wow Janet - that is really interesting. I must say that when my TTS was very bad - 8 was the norm for me.

What else does your pamphlet say about RSD?

Dr. Chris Reynolds on 6/28/01 at 00:10 (051698)

Janet, thanks for the very interesting information. I'd like to keep it for future reference. You might not believe this, but I once had a small miracle with an elderly lady with reflex sympathetic dystrophy who had severe pain and a very blue, cold, useless hand for a year. I used the Jade and the result astounded me because I certainly was not expecting it. However, it is the only patient with this problem I have ever tried this on. I wrote the story thus:-

Reflex sympathetic dystrophy
An 83 year old woman suffered causalgia of her right hand following ulnar nerve disentrapment. Her hand was completely dysfunctional for 12 months. On examination, there was deep cyanosis of the entire hand, absent sensation and movement. The Jade cream was applied resulting in instantaneous vasoconstriction and pallor of the hand. About one minute later, the hand began to turn pink becoming as warm as the other hand within about three minutes. Over the next five minutes, her sensation returned, the shooting pains disappeared, and a small amount of finger movement returned. After approximately ten minutes, she was able to lift a light plastic cylinder off the table, claiming this was 'a miracle'. Her symptoms were only relieved for two or three hours, after which her pain returned. She was not prepared to try the cream again. However, she did accept topical application over her ulnar nerve at the elbow and enjoyed almost immediate relief of causalgia in her forearm and hand and an increased range of movement at the elbow. This was shortlived however, and within a minute her range of movement reduced, and the causalgia ('painful pins and needles') increased.

The reason I put this here is to give you some idea as to the speed at which Jade penetrates the skin (seconds), and the quite dramatic changes it can bring about in the surrounding tissues. If we can apply this to the sole of the foot then it is easier to understand why I say there is an immunological response to Jade application. It follows then, that if Jade works in PF (and there's no doubt that it does wonders in some patients), then it must be an immunolgical problem that it is repairing.
More of this at http://www.wire.net.au/~jastmi/default.com

Laurie R on 6/28/01 at 00:24 (051701)

Hi Janet,
Thank you so much for sharing this with us. I guess I can say I am about a 5 to 7 everyday then sometimes it goes to a 8 or 9 . I have been at a 10 more than I like to remember . This is good to follow very interesting.

I hope you are doing well tonight Janet. Thanks again ... Your friend ,Laurie R

Julie on 6/28/01 at 02:59 (051710)

Janet, thanks. I've been wondering for a long time what the 1-10 pain level scale really means, and I've found this very helpful. And yes, it would be good, if you have time, to have more of the contents of the Ten Steps to Healing pamphlet. (Or, if it's on line, perhaps you can give us the link?)

Mary De on 6/28/01 at 15:20 (051764)

Thanks from me, also. I've also looked at the scale (as on Scott's Jade Trials list) and wondered, '7 compared to what?' Very useful -- in fact would suggest to Scott that it be posted permanently where ever ratings are surveyed.

A question in rating one's pain: mine varies a lot. Somedays it's a 7 to 8, somedays a mere 1 or 2. When asked for just one number, is it fairest to average it? Or put how I feel at that moment? Any thoughts from others?

--Mary De

janet c. on 6/28/01 at 15:27 (051767)

I'm honest, when asked how I feel. I tell them, if I feel like I'm between a 6 and a 7, I'll say it's a 6.5. And if I had level 9 pain the night before, I'll let them know about that, too.

Re: Dr. Reynolds, a question, please

Mary De on 6/28/01 at 15:49 (051769)

Dr Reynolds, in your case study above, why would speed of the patient's response indicate an immunological condition?

Sorry to be so ignorant, but I'm missing something basic here. If the body's immune system mistakes a body part as 'foreign' and attacks it, causing pain and inflammation, then there is some sort of 'switch' that turns off the attack? And this is different than a mechanically-based problem, where the injured body part must repair itself slowly over time?

Thanks for your patience!

best, Mary De

Dr. Chris Reynolds on 6/29/01 at 06:41 (051836)

Mary, that example I gave I think shows just how potent the Jade is. How it actually happens though, I don't know, but it is something that anyone treating reflex sympathetic dystrophy patients might be interested in investigating. A similar phenomenon of rapid blood vessel dilatation I have also seen in Raynaud's disease. This belongs more to the world of medical research and physiology than day to day family practice. But it is the fact that such a phenomenon OCCURS at all (even though not always), that I think someone involved in this area of medicine might look at it and say, 'Why is it so.?' For my part, I have no doubt there is an immunomodulatory process going on here, one that could perhaps revolutionise not the treatment of Raynaud's so much as the UNDERSTANDING of the condition. Why for instance if you apply a tiny amount of Jade to one finger of one hand, do BOTH hands turn from blue and cold to warm and pink in a matter of half a minute or so? Using the Jade to help understand this phenomenon would then hopefully lead to better management of what can be a quite disabling problem. Hope that answers at least part of your question.

wendyn on 6/27/01 at 23:28 (051696)

Wow Janet - that is really interesting. I must say that when my TTS was very bad - 8 was the norm for me.

What else does your pamphlet say about RSD?

Dr. Chris Reynolds on 6/28/01 at 00:10 (051698)

Janet, thanks for the very interesting information. I'd like to keep it for future reference. You might not believe this, but I once had a small miracle with an elderly lady with reflex sympathetic dystrophy who had severe pain and a very blue, cold, useless hand for a year. I used the Jade and the result astounded me because I certainly was not expecting it. However, it is the only patient with this problem I have ever tried this on. I wrote the story thus:-

Reflex sympathetic dystrophy
An 83 year old woman suffered causalgia of her right hand following ulnar nerve disentrapment. Her hand was completely dysfunctional for 12 months. On examination, there was deep cyanosis of the entire hand, absent sensation and movement. The Jade cream was applied resulting in instantaneous vasoconstriction and pallor of the hand. About one minute later, the hand began to turn pink becoming as warm as the other hand within about three minutes. Over the next five minutes, her sensation returned, the shooting pains disappeared, and a small amount of finger movement returned. After approximately ten minutes, she was able to lift a light plastic cylinder off the table, claiming this was 'a miracle'. Her symptoms were only relieved for two or three hours, after which her pain returned. She was not prepared to try the cream again. However, she did accept topical application over her ulnar nerve at the elbow and enjoyed almost immediate relief of causalgia in her forearm and hand and an increased range of movement at the elbow. This was shortlived however, and within a minute her range of movement reduced, and the causalgia ('painful pins and needles') increased.

The reason I put this here is to give you some idea as to the speed at which Jade penetrates the skin (seconds), and the quite dramatic changes it can bring about in the surrounding tissues. If we can apply this to the sole of the foot then it is easier to understand why I say there is an immunological response to Jade application. It follows then, that if Jade works in PF (and there's no doubt that it does wonders in some patients), then it must be an immunolgical problem that it is repairing.
More of this at http://www.wire.net.au/~jastmi/default.com

Laurie R on 6/28/01 at 00:24 (051701)

Hi Janet,
Thank you so much for sharing this with us. I guess I can say I am about a 5 to 7 everyday then sometimes it goes to a 8 or 9 . I have been at a 10 more than I like to remember . This is good to follow very interesting.

I hope you are doing well tonight Janet. Thanks again ... Your friend ,Laurie R

Julie on 6/28/01 at 02:59 (051710)

Janet, thanks. I've been wondering for a long time what the 1-10 pain level scale really means, and I've found this very helpful. And yes, it would be good, if you have time, to have more of the contents of the Ten Steps to Healing pamphlet. (Or, if it's on line, perhaps you can give us the link?)

Mary De on 6/28/01 at 15:20 (051764)

Thanks from me, also. I've also looked at the scale (as on Scott's Jade Trials list) and wondered, '7 compared to what?' Very useful -- in fact would suggest to Scott that it be posted permanently where ever ratings are surveyed.

A question in rating one's pain: mine varies a lot. Somedays it's a 7 to 8, somedays a mere 1 or 2. When asked for just one number, is it fairest to average it? Or put how I feel at that moment? Any thoughts from others?

--Mary De

janet c. on 6/28/01 at 15:27 (051767)

I'm honest, when asked how I feel. I tell them, if I feel like I'm between a 6 and a 7, I'll say it's a 6.5. And if I had level 9 pain the night before, I'll let them know about that, too.

Mary De on 6/28/01 at 15:49 (051769)

Dr Reynolds, in your case study above, why would speed of the patient's response indicate an immunological condition?

Sorry to be so ignorant, but I'm missing something basic here. If the body's immune system mistakes a body part as 'foreign' and attacks it, causing pain and inflammation, then there is some sort of 'switch' that turns off the attack? And this is different than a mechanically-based problem, where the injured body part must repair itself slowly over time?

Thanks for your patience!

best, Mary De

Dr. Chris Reynolds on 6/29/01 at 06:41 (051836)

Mary, that example I gave I think shows just how potent the Jade is. How it actually happens though, I don't know, but it is something that anyone treating reflex sympathetic dystrophy patients might be interested in investigating. A similar phenomenon of rapid blood vessel dilatation I have also seen in Raynaud's disease. This belongs more to the world of medical research and physiology than day to day family practice. But it is the fact that such a phenomenon OCCURS at all (even though not always), that I think someone involved in this area of medicine might look at it and say, 'Why is it so.?' For my part, I have no doubt there is an immunomodulatory process going on here, one that could perhaps revolutionise not the treatment of Raynaud's so much as the UNDERSTANDING of the condition. Why for instance if you apply a tiny amount of Jade to one finger of one hand, do BOTH hands turn from blue and cold to warm and pink in a matter of half a minute or so? Using the Jade to help understand this phenomenon would then hopefully lead to better management of what can be a quite disabling problem. Hope that answers at least part of your question.