Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Looking forward to a lot of R & R!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Denise D. on 6/28/01 at 01:28 (051702)

Hi All,
Well, after Friday I'm going to be off work for the month of July!! It couldn't come at a better time, I need to rest my feet!! It sure would be nice to be able to take a trip and just enjoy things for a change, but that won't happen this summer.
I'm really hoping that if I work hard enough at getting rid of this heel pain I can go back to work in August. Any suggestions on how often I should ice my foot, should I try bed rest? And I wonder if the pain will return once I go back. I do know that I'm going to buy me a pair of Birks, I've never worn them, but the feedback from the message boards indicates to me that they are really good.
I just don't want this month off to be a total waste. Do I sound DESPERATE!!!!?????
Today I was off, and tried to stay off of me feet as much as possible, but between housework, getting groceries and going to the beauty shop (which by the way I learned that my hairdresser has heelspurs too!) She had on a comfortable looking pair of clogs (Doc Martins) and said that was the only shoe that didn't hurt her feet.
I sure didn't rest a whole lot, but my pain was tolerable today, just like that Ricky Skaggs song, 'Somebodys prayin', I can feel it'.
Well it's getting rather late here in Texas, I better sign off for now, but, I WILL be back.
Thoughts and prayers to you all,
Denise D.

Re: Looking forward to a lot of R & R!!!!!!!!!!

Laurie R on 6/28/01 at 02:32 (051705)

Hi Denise , I hope by the time the month of July is over you are pain free. How long have you had PF for ?? What is your pain level ?? I wish you the best ,try to enjoy your time off and rest as much as you can. Laurie R

Beverly on 6/28/01 at 12:31 (051750)

Hi Denise,

Have a great rest!
I've found that naps, icing, hot soaks are all benefial for temporary relief and to help ease a setback. My own personal discovery after dealing with this for 1.5 years is that if I stay sequestered in the house and off my feet for a long weekend, this is helpful, but more than three days and I go bonkers.

I don't have kids and so this makes it easier. For those of you with small children, I don't know how you ever get proper rest.
Have a good rest,
Beverly

Beverly on 6/28/01 at 12:35 (051752)

Denise,

One thing that has helped me tremendously is using the handicap scooter at the grocery store and Walmart. I don't think I'd get through either of them without it. But the other thing that scooter does is get me out of the house and doing something. Yes, at first to be 41 and on the thing made me feel self-conscious, but after awhile I got to where I didn't care.

And movies... Go to the matinee. Lines are not bad then. I take a friend and get her to stand in the line if it's long.

And Barnes and Noble is a good outing because they have chairs everywhere.

These kind of 'little trips' help me keep my sanity without hurting my feet and also create a sense of independence.

What do you do for a living? That makes a big difference on how people recover. Are you on your feet alot?
Beverly

Re: To Beverly Re: Looking forward to a lot of R & R!!!!!!!!!!

Denise D. on 6/29/01 at 08:05 (051842)

Hi Beverly,
Thanks for the well wishes, and great get away ideas, I will use them.
I'm 46 and the thought of having to use the scooters in the store is tuff.
I'm the manager at an Antiques auction gallery, which requires me being on my feet a lot.
Like you, I don't have children and it amazes me how these moms do it!!!
All the best to you,
Denise D.

Re: TO Laurie Re: Looking forward to a lot of R & R!!!!!!!!!!

Denise D. on 6/29/01 at 08:10 (051843)

Hi Laurie,
Thanks for your time in responding to me.
I was diagnosed with a heel spur about 3 months ago, which is how long I've had pain, sure hope it doesn't become chronic!!
My pain level is about a 4 on a good day, its about an 8 when I'm on my feet a lot.
Thanks for your support and good wishes,
Hope you have a great weekend, and I'll be back in cyber space next week.
All the best,
Denise D.

Laurie R on 6/28/01 at 02:32 (051705)

Hi Denise , I hope by the time the month of July is over you are pain free. How long have you had PF for ?? What is your pain level ?? I wish you the best ,try to enjoy your time off and rest as much as you can. Laurie R

Beverly on 6/28/01 at 12:31 (051750)

Hi Denise,

Have a great rest!
I've found that naps, icing, hot soaks are all benefial for temporary relief and to help ease a setback. My own personal discovery after dealing with this for 1.5 years is that if I stay sequestered in the house and off my feet for a long weekend, this is helpful, but more than three days and I go bonkers.

I don't have kids and so this makes it easier. For those of you with small children, I don't know how you ever get proper rest.
Have a good rest,
Beverly

Beverly on 6/28/01 at 12:35 (051752)

Denise,

One thing that has helped me tremendously is using the handicap scooter at the grocery store and Walmart. I don't think I'd get through either of them without it. But the other thing that scooter does is get me out of the house and doing something. Yes, at first to be 41 and on the thing made me feel self-conscious, but after awhile I got to where I didn't care.

And movies... Go to the matinee. Lines are not bad then. I take a friend and get her to stand in the line if it's long.

And Barnes and Noble is a good outing because they have chairs everywhere.

These kind of 'little trips' help me keep my sanity without hurting my feet and also create a sense of independence.

What do you do for a living? That makes a big difference on how people recover. Are you on your feet alot?
Beverly

Re: To Beverly Re: Looking forward to a lot of R & R!!!!!!!!!!

Denise D. on 6/29/01 at 08:05 (051842)

Hi Beverly,
Thanks for the well wishes, and great get away ideas, I will use them.
I'm 46 and the thought of having to use the scooters in the store is tuff.
I'm the manager at an Antiques auction gallery, which requires me being on my feet a lot.
Like you, I don't have children and it amazes me how these moms do it!!!
All the best to you,
Denise D.

Re: TO Laurie Re: Looking forward to a lot of R & R!!!!!!!!!!

Denise D. on 6/29/01 at 08:10 (051843)

Hi Laurie,
Thanks for your time in responding to me.
I was diagnosed with a heel spur about 3 months ago, which is how long I've had pain, sure hope it doesn't become chronic!!
My pain level is about a 4 on a good day, its about an 8 when I'm on my feet a lot.
Thanks for your support and good wishes,
Hope you have a great weekend, and I'll be back in cyber space next week.
All the best,
Denise D.