Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Dr.Z

Posted by Tammie on 6/28/01 at hrmin (051720)

Hello,
Tomoorw I return to my pod, please what should I expect? I am very nervous,I have really apreciated your help thru this I should be paying you not him! My foot feels better then before surgery, I can at least walk on it,but I know you explained waves to me, but I know I will not get much information from dr. tomorrow unless I can possibly have knowledge about myself! I told you about the electric feelings and I understand a part of healing , But instead of getting less frequent it is a almost constant thing anymore , right below ankle bone in fact right in area of incision and shoots thru the foot acrch area to toes sometimes back of leg. When I am walking sometimes I feel it but always the most is when I try to go to sleep or I wake . This is my biggest complaint, I do have throbbing still in arch but to me not so worried about that as figure healing? Under foot where he must have put something in foot as there is like a small area (healed now hole) it is numb in and around area I can stick a pin there with no feeling. It is 10 weeks now and I just would like to know what to expect? Do you think this is the healing ? I am hoping to return to work Mon? Am I getting ahead of myself? I am so sorry that i burden you with my questions, I am so sorry that I have not allowed myself time to find a pod who would have sat and told me what was happening, I proably have a good dr. but like you said he is a busy one,and most of time so overbooked not enough time to sit and talk with his patients! I am really worried about tomorrow as I know he will look and say all is well,bye,and I will be left still wondering about all of the questions in my head.It seems if I do get to say something hurts or whatever I get scolded and told overdid or yes normal but things are 70% and left at that.Well I have taken enough time from you! THANK YOU SO VERY MUCH!!!!! And I hope that you and your wife have a wonderful peaceful vacation ! I dont know how she puts up with all that you do she must be as wonderful as you as you seem to give so much here and from what i have gathered so much time to your patients!!!! So may the good lord watch and protect you and give you the time to find peace , and bring you back safe and well rested!!!!!!!!!!!!

Re: Tammie, some ideas for tomorrow

Julie on 6/28/01 at 11:38 (051736)

Tammie, almost everyone goes through this when a doctor visit is looming. I think you'd find it a help to write down all those questions that you have in your head. That way you won't 'freeze' when you see him and forget any of them. Do it on a BIG sheet (or sheets) of paper, with space in between the questions for you to take notes on the doctor's answers.

Use a clipboard so you have a firm surface to write on - and to impress him.

As soon as you get into the room with him, say 'I have three (or five,or ten) questions to ask you'. Get out your clipboard and pen, and start on Question One. Carry on, and don't stop until he has answered Question Ten.

I did this with my pod-in-a-hurry and it worked fine.

If he fidgets, or tries to make you feel guilty for taking up too much of his time, ignore it and don't let it rattle you(look down at your next question).

Never forget: you are paying him for his time.

Not all doctors are like our Dr Z. Lots of them try to get through their appointments as quickly as possible - they know perfectly well that some of their patients are going to be assertive and are not going to stop asking questions until they get answers. They DO have time to sit and talk with those, so you might as well be one of them!

Good luck tomorrow and let us know how you get on.

All the best, Julie

tammie on 6/28/01 at 21:15 (051797)

Hi Julie thank you for the suggestions, I am a whimp , heheh I know it to! I hate going and part of me would rather get whipped good (andd no I am not kinky lol) then have to go . There are several things I fear, one is I am frightened he might want to do a cortisone shot in ankle , he seems to love those things, although I dont even know if they do that for the tingling shocking thing, I see a swollen area there and I do not want any shot! And what if he tells me all is well and this is normal? It may be I have not a clue, but I cant understand why it has gotton worse and not better there, but heel is better to point I can walk on it! I am frightened as I really do want to return to work and I am worried that I will not know what is best for my foot. I am frightened I cannot do a whole day yet, I dont know I dont want to sound like a baby or wimp, if it is supposed to be healed and I am complaining,I really know how it feels but maybe that is the way it should , ok to have pain still. My hubby called me a big baby and said quit being a wimp. I begged him to go with me ,dont know if he will or not, and then he might tell the dr. I am a wimp!Why cant thease things be easy? 10weeks certainly should be time enough to be healed no? I know they say full in 6 to 12 months but surely not that long to return to work? I will be glad to be done with this lol! Please dont think me a hypo I figure dr. z must think it hehehe I am going to look at the pain scale again so I know how to say it right,he uses % like 50%60% to 100% I told him 70% last time and really I am thinking it is not mush better and maybe feels worse in some things. Well thanks for letting me blubber it makes me feel better getting it out! I will get my paper but if I get to use it will be interesting! Thanks so much!

Julie on 6/29/01 at 03:27 (051831)

Hi Tammie

I don't think you are a wimp. Or a hypochondriac. I don't think you think so either. You have a problem with your foot and you want help with it from the doctor. OK. So go there today and sit up straight and tell him so. If he wants to give you a shot, and you don't want one, say so.

Tell him the symptoms that are worrying you, in detail. If he tells you that they are normal for your stage of recovery, you have a choice. You can be reassured and let time and healing take their course. Or you decide you need to get another opinion. If you are convinced you are worse, and the doctor doesn't agree, the second option might be the one to go for.

No, I don't think 10 weeks is long enough for healing. Perhaps it is in some cases, but not in all, and as we know, everyone is different. And the surgeries are different, and the people doing them are different. Dr Z has said often enough, that it can take 6-12 months.

Whether one goes back to work before then or not has to depend on the kind of work it is. A sitting down job wouldn't present the same problems as a standing job. Your work does involve standing, and, even more demanding, lifting patients. Obviously it takes longer to get to the point where you can handle that.

Probably you do need more time, Tammie. But I would suggest that before you do return to work, you negotiate a step-by-step return with your employers. Don't go straight into full-time. Start with one half day a week and see how that affects you. If it's ok, increase to two or three half days, with rest days in between. Make sure each stage is ok for you before going on to the next. Work gradually up to full time.

That's getting ahead of ourselves. Now you have the doctor visit to cope with today. Write down your questions and keep them in front of you and don't doubt your ability to open your mouth and ask them. Good luck!

All the best, Julie

Nikki on 6/29/01 at 10:39 (051859)

Don't worry I won't think your a wimp.

Re: Re:thank You!!!

Tammie on 6/29/01 at 12:04 (051870)

Nikki thank you as it sometimes is very hard to explain pain to people when they cannot see something there! And we can not seem to tell at how long this type of problems take to heal! Hugs to you Take care of the toe and keep it clean!!!!!!!! Advice of a mom hehehehe

Julie on 6/28/01 at 11:38 (051736)

Tammie, almost everyone goes through this when a doctor visit is looming. I think you'd find it a help to write down all those questions that you have in your head. That way you won't 'freeze' when you see him and forget any of them. Do it on a BIG sheet (or sheets) of paper, with space in between the questions for you to take notes on the doctor's answers.

Use a clipboard so you have a firm surface to write on - and to impress him.

As soon as you get into the room with him, say 'I have three (or five,or ten) questions to ask you'. Get out your clipboard and pen, and start on Question One. Carry on, and don't stop until he has answered Question Ten.

I did this with my pod-in-a-hurry and it worked fine.

If he fidgets, or tries to make you feel guilty for taking up too much of his time, ignore it and don't let it rattle you(look down at your next question).

Never forget: you are paying him for his time.

Not all doctors are like our Dr Z. Lots of them try to get through their appointments as quickly as possible - they know perfectly well that some of their patients are going to be assertive and are not going to stop asking questions until they get answers. They DO have time to sit and talk with those, so you might as well be one of them!

Good luck tomorrow and let us know how you get on.

All the best, Julie

tammie on 6/28/01 at 21:15 (051797)

Hi Julie thank you for the suggestions, I am a whimp , heheh I know it to! I hate going and part of me would rather get whipped good (andd no I am not kinky lol) then have to go . There are several things I fear, one is I am frightened he might want to do a cortisone shot in ankle , he seems to love those things, although I dont even know if they do that for the tingling shocking thing, I see a swollen area there and I do not want any shot! And what if he tells me all is well and this is normal? It may be I have not a clue, but I cant understand why it has gotton worse and not better there, but heel is better to point I can walk on it! I am frightened as I really do want to return to work and I am worried that I will not know what is best for my foot. I am frightened I cannot do a whole day yet, I dont know I dont want to sound like a baby or wimp, if it is supposed to be healed and I am complaining,I really know how it feels but maybe that is the way it should , ok to have pain still. My hubby called me a big baby and said quit being a wimp. I begged him to go with me ,dont know if he will or not, and then he might tell the dr. I am a wimp!Why cant thease things be easy? 10weeks certainly should be time enough to be healed no? I know they say full in 6 to 12 months but surely not that long to return to work? I will be glad to be done with this lol! Please dont think me a hypo I figure dr. z must think it hehehe I am going to look at the pain scale again so I know how to say it right,he uses % like 50%60% to 100% I told him 70% last time and really I am thinking it is not mush better and maybe feels worse in some things. Well thanks for letting me blubber it makes me feel better getting it out! I will get my paper but if I get to use it will be interesting! Thanks so much!

Julie on 6/29/01 at 03:27 (051831)

Hi Tammie

I don't think you are a wimp. Or a hypochondriac. I don't think you think so either. You have a problem with your foot and you want help with it from the doctor. OK. So go there today and sit up straight and tell him so. If he wants to give you a shot, and you don't want one, say so.

Tell him the symptoms that are worrying you, in detail. If he tells you that they are normal for your stage of recovery, you have a choice. You can be reassured and let time and healing take their course. Or you decide you need to get another opinion. If you are convinced you are worse, and the doctor doesn't agree, the second option might be the one to go for.

No, I don't think 10 weeks is long enough for healing. Perhaps it is in some cases, but not in all, and as we know, everyone is different. And the surgeries are different, and the people doing them are different. Dr Z has said often enough, that it can take 6-12 months.

Whether one goes back to work before then or not has to depend on the kind of work it is. A sitting down job wouldn't present the same problems as a standing job. Your work does involve standing, and, even more demanding, lifting patients. Obviously it takes longer to get to the point where you can handle that.

Probably you do need more time, Tammie. But I would suggest that before you do return to work, you negotiate a step-by-step return with your employers. Don't go straight into full-time. Start with one half day a week and see how that affects you. If it's ok, increase to two or three half days, with rest days in between. Make sure each stage is ok for you before going on to the next. Work gradually up to full time.

That's getting ahead of ourselves. Now you have the doctor visit to cope with today. Write down your questions and keep them in front of you and don't doubt your ability to open your mouth and ask them. Good luck!

All the best, Julie

Nikki on 6/29/01 at 10:39 (051859)

Don't worry I won't think your a wimp.

Re: Re:thank You!!!

Tammie on 6/29/01 at 12:04 (051870)

Nikki thank you as it sometimes is very hard to explain pain to people when they cannot see something there! And we can not seem to tell at how long this type of problems take to heal! Hugs to you Take care of the toe and keep it clean!!!!!!!! Advice of a mom hehehehe