Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Saw Dr.--treating for staph

Posted by Mary S. on 6/28/01 at 19:01 (051785)

I took Tammie's advice and saw my family doctor today and thank goodness I did. He suspects a staph infection and said that Cipro is not the right drug for that. Said he wants to treat it aggressively with Levaquin and Clindamucin. Doing bloodwork in the morning. Wants me back in a week. Help me with this--he said he wants me to be ambulatory to avoid bloodclots--what does that mean other than up and walking? He said to elevate it too.
Another thing that happened today is that about 15 min. before I left for the doctor's office I heard a snap in that leg and experienced a horrible stinging pain. I had to sit down and pull myself together. It is still very sore there. The doctor said maybe it was an internal stitch popping. I didn't know I had internal stitches. Has anyone experienced that sort of thing?
Dr. Zuckerman hit the nail on the head about the anitbotics. I had even written down the names of the ones he suggested, and my dr. perscribed
one of them along with another. If DR. Z had not given me that info, I would not have been well informed. I appreciate him so much. You can't imagine how much I value your comments and advice, too. You folks have really helped me get this far. Thank you so much!!!!!!!

Re: Saw Dr.--treating for staph

JudyS on 6/28/01 at 20:40 (051792)

Well there you go, Mary! Now see, my whole 'mom' thing (with all due respect, docs!) might have been earning its pay this time!
Ambulatory, I suspect, just means to try to maintain a normal, physical routine as opposed to sitting a lot.
I'm SO glad you were able to see your doc today...I hope it's brought you piece of mind.

Tammie on 6/28/01 at 21:22 (051799)

I am so happy that you got that second dr. advice!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! And thankfully Dr. Z caught that antibiotic,We are very lucky to have Dr.s here! I truly appreciate him and others very much to take time from ther own busy life so as to give us advice and comfort those who need! Mary I hope this puts you on good road again!!!! Please let us know how it goes! Yes Judy moms have good tuition sometimes!!! Better for others lol then ourselves! Hugs ladies must movve on hehehe I have a ton of mail tonight! I should not get to bored!

Laurie R on 6/29/01 at 00:03 (051808)

Dear Mary ,
You know I have heard over and over again about asking a doctor on the internet a question. Meaning my mom for one always asks me ,how do you know that the person on the internet is really a doctor?? I always say read our board.... It jsut goes to show everyone what a woderful doctor Dr.Z is ... I too appreciate him so much . He has always been right on with me and my treatment .....

Mary I am so happy you did get in to see this other doctor . I hope now these new meds will clear up the infection and you will be feeling better real soon...

My very best to you .... Laurie R

wendyn on 6/29/01 at 00:06 (051809)

Mary - I don't know about the loud snap in your leg...if it doesn't settle down you better have it checked.

Whenever anyone is restricted from movement for very long - it can increase the possibility of blood clots. Bear with me, I'm not a doctor and I'm going on recall...but I believe that veins do not have a force pushing the blood back up to your heart - they work more on the basis of muscles moving when you walk and stand and this helps move the blood along. I think there are valves in the veins that slam shut in places so that the blood doesn't all fall back down to your feet.

If you are immobilized - that whole process is interfered with and thus the higher rate of clots forming in your legs. I don't know that A LOT of activity is necessary. I would think just making sure your up and moving around every once in a while. Maybe you can exercise your legs a bit while lying down. Didn't the doctor give you any idea of what he thought you needed to be doing?

Stephanie S. on 6/29/01 at 00:59 (051817)

I feel as if I must comment on this...and I'm sorry...but it's not really a pretty thing to discuss. The bloodclot ..the being ambulatory...you must walk to keep the circulation.

I'm going to share this horror story with you...that only happened a few weeks ago. My nieghbor came barging through my house..hysterical...saying she had gotten a phone call about her older sister..she had been in a terrible car accident and they didn't expect her to live. She needed me to care for the children while our other nieghbor took her to the hospital.

Come to find out...she was okay, the paramedics opened her breathing passageway..they said a collapsed larnyx...some broken bones...but would survive this accident. Right? You get the picture I'm planting here...

Frist she's told her sister is near death...gets to the hospital to find out she's okay..bruised up horribly but will live. They wanted to release her the night of the accident. My nieghbor insisted she stay for a day or two...scared of something not being caught.

I want you to know...that the first time she got up to use the restroom..she dropped dead of a bloodclot. Come to find out...her death could have been prevented. Her injuries were not that bad..she could have healed from the broken bones, etc. The nurses did NOT force her to walk..and because of her being inmobile...she formed a bloodclot...and dropped dead after 3 days of the accident.

Trust me on this one...if he says to be mobile...keep moving..be active. That was the wierdest thing to hear. She's fine, she's being released, she just died.

I think were all still in shock over it. Good luck...and sorry to scare you on this story...but it's so very important to keep walking.

It dawned on me...after this whole event...that no wonder after giving birth...the nurses MAKE you walk..doesn't matter if it's a c-section or not. I remember being made to walk that day...and you know what..it was for that reason...to prevent clotting.

Steph

Nancy S. on 6/29/01 at 02:27 (051826)

Wow, Stephanie -- Thank You for posting this. What a tragedy. But it's a very important lesson.
I find that since PF etc., and other things that genuinely need rest, it becomes too easy to let go and not do the basics, such as keeping the circulation going however you can. There are ways to do it even while getting needed rest. My mother developed a blood clot in her leg after brain (AVM) surgery a few years ago, and she did NOT want to go back to the hospital -- and even after I convinced her that we had to go, she wanted to wait until she'd had a taste of the cauliflower casserole I'd just finished making for her! I said, 'Hell, I'll freeze it for you and bring you some in the hospital -- come on, we're going.' Am I glad I raced her to the hospital despite her protests? You bet!
Stephanie, your neighbor's is a heartbreaker of a story, but you may just have saved a life or two here, who knows.
Nancy
p.s. Geez, is no one else up at 3:15 EST? I guess it's not in my head that I feel lonesome! Oh well -- sleep on if necessary. I envy you all, but am glad for you at the same time. As a friend of ours who is recently diagnosed with bipolar depression, and who is writing poems like crazy (and he calls us every time he finishes one), signed off on a phone-machine message late last night: 'Sleep well, lovers and dreamers.'

Re: Saw Dr.--treating for staph RE Nancy adn Staph

Laurie R on 6/29/01 at 02:32 (051827)

Yes this is very sad. You never know what could happen. Staph I bet you are still in shock. My very best to you and your friends. This has to be very hard ..

Nancy I am still up of course....Laurie R

Re: Saw Dr.--treating for staph RE Nancy -- hi Laurie!

Nancy S. on 6/29/01 at 03:26 (051830)

Oh by now you're probably asleep again, but I just came back on board and it was really nice to know you're out there, Laurie....
I do hope you're asleep by now, though. I don't wish these up-all-nights on anyone, no matter how long I'm up myself.
I am about to take a shower and go to the ER for the shoulder. Maybe it'll be timed just right and I'll hit the fresh-as-a-daisy residents just coming on for the early day shift!
I'm hearing some pretty birds just waking up as I sign off.
Nancy

Re: Possibility of blood clots

Julie on 6/29/01 at 03:47 (051833)

Mary, Wendy's description of venous blood return is accurate. You might like to read my response to Rudy about non-weight-bearing exercises, on the Treatments board. The three exercises I described there can be done sitting or lying down, and if you do them several times a day will help to keep the venous blood moving back to the heart through the veins. They are good - and possible! - to practise when travelling by plane.

Avoiding thrombosis is certainly one of the reasons why we need to exercise, apart from the need to avoid muscle weakness and atrophy.

john h on 6/29/01 at 09:36 (051854)

mary: where did the 'snapping emit from'? where is the sore spot? when i tore a muscle in my calf there was a very distinctive pop and i thought i had been hit by a ball. it was sore at first and then really really sore and painful. took months to heal.

wendyn on 6/29/01 at 10:54 (051860)

Studies are being done to confirm that when people sit cramped and not moving on long plane trips - it can increase their chance of a blood clot. This should give you a good idea of how little time this could happen in.

When I had my first c-section 16 years ago, they left me in bed about 12 hours.

When I had my second one 8 years ago, they had me getting out of bed within an hour two out of the recovery room.

Re: Saw Dr.--treating for staph RE Nancy -- hi Laurie!RE Nancy

Laurie R on 6/29/01 at 11:15 (051862)

Hi Nancy , I have tried to send you an e-mail ,two times last night and once right now. It keeps coming back. Is the webtv sever out?? Just checking . When you get back from the ER let us know what the doctor said about your shoulder...Laurie R

Carlw on 6/29/01 at 13:06 (051876)

Hello Mary,

I can give you first hand advice on dealing with a blood clots. My doctor says that in order to reduce the possibility you should be on your feet moving around a minimum on 2 minutes for every 1.5 hours of sitting. I just got off of blood thinners after being on them for six weeks. The other reccomendation was to take one baby aspirin (80mg) per day for the rest of my days. ( That is going to be a lot of aspirin as I am only 33 years old)

Carl

nancy s. on 6/29/01 at 18:03 (051885)

went to ER and was examined by dr. kindness! i'm serious, that's his name. and he lived up to it
they said shoulder is very badly inflamed and injured and put it in this fancy sling to immobilize and give complete rest for 1 week (take off twice a day and move somne so not to get frozen shldr.
so i,m typing 1-handed and wont be typing much this week.
they gave me pain meds since was nearly beside myself with pain -- doc insisted.

laurie my email has been weird, but i did some cleanup and did finaklly get an email from my sister. pls try again! thanx!
bye for now

john h on 6/29/01 at 18:48 (051887)

saw my local Orthopedic Foot and Ankle surgeon on TV last night. She conducts Yoga classes on a regular basis.

john h on 6/29/01 at 18:50 (051888)

my wife and millions of others are on the daily low dose aspirin thearpy for prevention of heart attacks. otherwise healthy people included.

Mary S. on 6/29/01 at 21:11 (051912)

John-- the snapping came from the lower part of my calf. Even my husband heard it. It was a searing, stinging, pain that almost took my breath. It was very close to the area of the incision where the doctor released my gastroc muscle to take the pressure off of my achilles. It is still very sore and my achilles seems even tighter now. I feel if I really pushed off on that foot to take a step that a giant rubber band stretched to the limit would snap. I am going to call the doctor Monday to see if I have internal stitches and to ask about the snap and pain.
Did you feel as if you could not push off after your muscle tore? I know that was really painful.
Thank you so much for sharing with me. I value all the info that I get.

Mary S. on 6/29/01 at 21:19 (051913)

Carl--Thank you so much for being so specific about this. I have wondered and wondered how much is too much, or am I not doing enough.
I am also going to join you on the aspirin. John also mentioned aspirin.
I have learned so much from all of you great people, and appreciate your time and concern more than you know.
Hang in there with that aspirin. You are only 33--maybe it will help you to 103!!! Take care and thanks again!!

Re: TO ALL THOSE WHO HAVE ANSWERED MY POSTS

Mary S. on 6/29/01 at 21:42 (051915)

I want to thank everyone who responded to this original message. You have helped me so much and will never know how much I appreciate your time and concern. Now that I look back on all of this from early May until now, I really don't know how I would have made it through the surgery, making decisions and choices related to recovery, hygiene tips, mental health tips, biking gloves tip, and now info on blood clots and infection. You have helped me to be prepared for everything from the surgery, to communicating effectively with my doctor even now. Thank you from my heart!!
I think I am on the right road with the new antibiotics that Dr. Z suggested--and some of you warned me that Cipro was not what I needed. you were a life saver. I just started them yesterday, so I don't see a difference yet, but I feel better mentally. The thought of staph and blood clots really had me going.
Now, thanks to Carl and John, I'm adding aspirin to my daily meds, and I'm educated on the time up and moving factor. My gosh, what more could a person need other than prayers. You can be sure that I count each of you as a blessing and remember my HeelSpurs.com friends in my prayers.
I am off to tqke an aspirin and elevate. Hugs to you all!!

JudyS on 6/28/01 at 20:40 (051792)

Well there you go, Mary! Now see, my whole 'mom' thing (with all due respect, docs!) might have been earning its pay this time!
Ambulatory, I suspect, just means to try to maintain a normal, physical routine as opposed to sitting a lot.
I'm SO glad you were able to see your doc today...I hope it's brought you piece of mind.

Tammie on 6/28/01 at 21:22 (051799)

I am so happy that you got that second dr. advice!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! And thankfully Dr. Z caught that antibiotic,We are very lucky to have Dr.s here! I truly appreciate him and others very much to take time from ther own busy life so as to give us advice and comfort those who need! Mary I hope this puts you on good road again!!!! Please let us know how it goes! Yes Judy moms have good tuition sometimes!!! Better for others lol then ourselves! Hugs ladies must movve on hehehe I have a ton of mail tonight! I should not get to bored!

Laurie R on 6/29/01 at 00:03 (051808)

Dear Mary ,
You know I have heard over and over again about asking a doctor on the internet a question. Meaning my mom for one always asks me ,how do you know that the person on the internet is really a doctor?? I always say read our board.... It jsut goes to show everyone what a woderful doctor Dr.Z is ... I too appreciate him so much . He has always been right on with me and my treatment .....

Mary I am so happy you did get in to see this other doctor . I hope now these new meds will clear up the infection and you will be feeling better real soon...

My very best to you .... Laurie R

wendyn on 6/29/01 at 00:06 (051809)

Mary - I don't know about the loud snap in your leg...if it doesn't settle down you better have it checked.

Whenever anyone is restricted from movement for very long - it can increase the possibility of blood clots. Bear with me, I'm not a doctor and I'm going on recall...but I believe that veins do not have a force pushing the blood back up to your heart - they work more on the basis of muscles moving when you walk and stand and this helps move the blood along. I think there are valves in the veins that slam shut in places so that the blood doesn't all fall back down to your feet.

If you are immobilized - that whole process is interfered with and thus the higher rate of clots forming in your legs. I don't know that A LOT of activity is necessary. I would think just making sure your up and moving around every once in a while. Maybe you can exercise your legs a bit while lying down. Didn't the doctor give you any idea of what he thought you needed to be doing?

Stephanie S. on 6/29/01 at 00:59 (051817)

I feel as if I must comment on this...and I'm sorry...but it's not really a pretty thing to discuss. The bloodclot ..the being ambulatory...you must walk to keep the circulation.

I'm going to share this horror story with you...that only happened a few weeks ago. My nieghbor came barging through my house..hysterical...saying she had gotten a phone call about her older sister..she had been in a terrible car accident and they didn't expect her to live. She needed me to care for the children while our other nieghbor took her to the hospital.

Come to find out...she was okay, the paramedics opened her breathing passageway..they said a collapsed larnyx...some broken bones...but would survive this accident. Right? You get the picture I'm planting here...

Frist she's told her sister is near death...gets to the hospital to find out she's okay..bruised up horribly but will live. They wanted to release her the night of the accident. My nieghbor insisted she stay for a day or two...scared of something not being caught.

I want you to know...that the first time she got up to use the restroom..she dropped dead of a bloodclot. Come to find out...her death could have been prevented. Her injuries were not that bad..she could have healed from the broken bones, etc. The nurses did NOT force her to walk..and because of her being inmobile...she formed a bloodclot...and dropped dead after 3 days of the accident.

Trust me on this one...if he says to be mobile...keep moving..be active. That was the wierdest thing to hear. She's fine, she's being released, she just died.

I think were all still in shock over it. Good luck...and sorry to scare you on this story...but it's so very important to keep walking.

It dawned on me...after this whole event...that no wonder after giving birth...the nurses MAKE you walk..doesn't matter if it's a c-section or not. I remember being made to walk that day...and you know what..it was for that reason...to prevent clotting.

Steph

Nancy S. on 6/29/01 at 02:27 (051826)

Wow, Stephanie -- Thank You for posting this. What a tragedy. But it's a very important lesson.
I find that since PF etc., and other things that genuinely need rest, it becomes too easy to let go and not do the basics, such as keeping the circulation going however you can. There are ways to do it even while getting needed rest. My mother developed a blood clot in her leg after brain (AVM) surgery a few years ago, and she did NOT want to go back to the hospital -- and even after I convinced her that we had to go, she wanted to wait until she'd had a taste of the cauliflower casserole I'd just finished making for her! I said, 'Hell, I'll freeze it for you and bring you some in the hospital -- come on, we're going.' Am I glad I raced her to the hospital despite her protests? You bet!
Stephanie, your neighbor's is a heartbreaker of a story, but you may just have saved a life or two here, who knows.
Nancy
p.s. Geez, is no one else up at 3:15 EST? I guess it's not in my head that I feel lonesome! Oh well -- sleep on if necessary. I envy you all, but am glad for you at the same time. As a friend of ours who is recently diagnosed with bipolar depression, and who is writing poems like crazy (and he calls us every time he finishes one), signed off on a phone-machine message late last night: 'Sleep well, lovers and dreamers.'

Re: Saw Dr.--treating for staph RE Nancy adn Staph

Laurie R on 6/29/01 at 02:32 (051827)

Yes this is very sad. You never know what could happen. Staph I bet you are still in shock. My very best to you and your friends. This has to be very hard ..

Nancy I am still up of course....Laurie R

Re: Saw Dr.--treating for staph RE Nancy -- hi Laurie!

Nancy S. on 6/29/01 at 03:26 (051830)

Oh by now you're probably asleep again, but I just came back on board and it was really nice to know you're out there, Laurie....
I do hope you're asleep by now, though. I don't wish these up-all-nights on anyone, no matter how long I'm up myself.
I am about to take a shower and go to the ER for the shoulder. Maybe it'll be timed just right and I'll hit the fresh-as-a-daisy residents just coming on for the early day shift!
I'm hearing some pretty birds just waking up as I sign off.
Nancy

Julie on 6/29/01 at 03:47 (051833)

Mary, Wendy's description of venous blood return is accurate. You might like to read my response to Rudy about non-weight-bearing exercises, on the Treatments board. The three exercises I described there can be done sitting or lying down, and if you do them several times a day will help to keep the venous blood moving back to the heart through the veins. They are good - and possible! - to practise when travelling by plane.

Avoiding thrombosis is certainly one of the reasons why we need to exercise, apart from the need to avoid muscle weakness and atrophy.

john h on 6/29/01 at 09:36 (051854)

mary: where did the 'snapping emit from'? where is the sore spot? when i tore a muscle in my calf there was a very distinctive pop and i thought i had been hit by a ball. it was sore at first and then really really sore and painful. took months to heal.

wendyn on 6/29/01 at 10:54 (051860)

Studies are being done to confirm that when people sit cramped and not moving on long plane trips - it can increase their chance of a blood clot. This should give you a good idea of how little time this could happen in.

When I had my first c-section 16 years ago, they left me in bed about 12 hours.

When I had my second one 8 years ago, they had me getting out of bed within an hour two out of the recovery room.

Laurie R on 6/29/01 at 11:15 (051862)

Hi Nancy , I have tried to send you an e-mail ,two times last night and once right now. It keeps coming back. Is the webtv sever out?? Just checking . When you get back from the ER let us know what the doctor said about your shoulder...Laurie R

Carlw on 6/29/01 at 13:06 (051876)

Hello Mary,

I can give you first hand advice on dealing with a blood clots. My doctor says that in order to reduce the possibility you should be on your feet moving around a minimum on 2 minutes for every 1.5 hours of sitting. I just got off of blood thinners after being on them for six weeks. The other reccomendation was to take one baby aspirin (80mg) per day for the rest of my days. ( That is going to be a lot of aspirin as I am only 33 years old)

Carl

nancy s. on 6/29/01 at 18:03 (051885)

went to ER and was examined by dr. kindness! i'm serious, that's his name. and he lived up to it
they said shoulder is very badly inflamed and injured and put it in this fancy sling to immobilize and give complete rest for 1 week (take off twice a day and move somne so not to get frozen shldr.
so i,m typing 1-handed and wont be typing much this week.
they gave me pain meds since was nearly beside myself with pain -- doc insisted.

laurie my email has been weird, but i did some cleanup and did finaklly get an email from my sister. pls try again! thanx!
bye for now

john h on 6/29/01 at 18:48 (051887)

saw my local Orthopedic Foot and Ankle surgeon on TV last night. She conducts Yoga classes on a regular basis.

john h on 6/29/01 at 18:50 (051888)

my wife and millions of others are on the daily low dose aspirin thearpy for prevention of heart attacks. otherwise healthy people included.

Mary S. on 6/29/01 at 21:11 (051912)

John-- the snapping came from the lower part of my calf. Even my husband heard it. It was a searing, stinging, pain that almost took my breath. It was very close to the area of the incision where the doctor released my gastroc muscle to take the pressure off of my achilles. It is still very sore and my achilles seems even tighter now. I feel if I really pushed off on that foot to take a step that a giant rubber band stretched to the limit would snap. I am going to call the doctor Monday to see if I have internal stitches and to ask about the snap and pain.
Did you feel as if you could not push off after your muscle tore? I know that was really painful.
Thank you so much for sharing with me. I value all the info that I get.

Mary S. on 6/29/01 at 21:19 (051913)

Carl--Thank you so much for being so specific about this. I have wondered and wondered how much is too much, or am I not doing enough.
I am also going to join you on the aspirin. John also mentioned aspirin.
I have learned so much from all of you great people, and appreciate your time and concern more than you know.
Hang in there with that aspirin. You are only 33--maybe it will help you to 103!!! Take care and thanks again!!

Re: TO ALL THOSE WHO HAVE ANSWERED MY POSTS

Mary S. on 6/29/01 at 21:42 (051915)

I want to thank everyone who responded to this original message. You have helped me so much and will never know how much I appreciate your time and concern. Now that I look back on all of this from early May until now, I really don't know how I would have made it through the surgery, making decisions and choices related to recovery, hygiene tips, mental health tips, biking gloves tip, and now info on blood clots and infection. You have helped me to be prepared for everything from the surgery, to communicating effectively with my doctor even now. Thank you from my heart!!
I think I am on the right road with the new antibiotics that Dr. Z suggested--and some of you warned me that Cipro was not what I needed. you were a life saver. I just started them yesterday, so I don't see a difference yet, but I feel better mentally. The thought of staph and blood clots really had me going.
Now, thanks to Carl and John, I'm adding aspirin to my daily meds, and I'm educated on the time up and moving factor. My gosh, what more could a person need other than prayers. You can be sure that I count each of you as a blessing and remember my HeelSpurs.com friends in my prayers.
I am off to tqke an aspirin and elevate. Hugs to you all!!