Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

13 year old with an in-grown toenail

Posted by Nikki on 6/28/01 at 21:21 (051798)

Hi I am 13. You may remember me. I was 12 when I posted my last message. Well anyways, I have an in-grown toe nail ( well theat's what my mom says at least). My brother has had 2 already and haad to get them surgically removed. He said that they hurt really bad when you get them removed and the shots are one of the most horrible ones he has ever had. Now mine has just started like yesterday. My mom put peroxide and neosporin on it tonight and taped it after I had my foot in my chlorinated pool. What I want to know is, Is there anything else I can do for it? I reallyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy don't want to go to the doctor's. If there is any information you can give me please do because this thing is a pain in the butt! Oh and this may sound like a dumb question , but I wanted to paint my toe nails??? This is because I am going out to eat and to the movies and I am wearing white dress shoes and my feet aren't the prettiest things I guess you could say. Well this probably sounds like a typical teen girl, but I just am curious. Thank you for any of the info that you could give me.

Re: 13 year old with an in-grown toenail

Lori E. on 6/28/01 at 21:35 (051800)

Nikki,
I am not a doc, but I suggest you go to the doc. He may be able to take care of your toenail in his office. But if you wait, it could turn out like your brother's toenails. I had an ingrown toenail and the doc just took a special clipper and pried out the nail as he cut it. It didn't hurt a bit and felt alot better once he had finished treating it.
Part of growing up is gaining the wisdom to ask for help when you need it. I am pretty sure if this just started yesterday it probably isn't too bad.
As for the nail polish, don't do it. You toenail is already inflamed and there are alot of things in nail polish that can irritate your skin. I bet no one notices your toes when you go out as long as you don't call attention to them. Go ahead and see the doc before it gets worse.

wendyn on 6/28/01 at 23:47 (051804)

Nikki - I just finished dealing with my first real case of ingrown toenails (which by the way, started after an expensive pedicure...go figure).

For now, it sounds like your mom is doing the righ thing - soaking in warm water, the neosporin. Wear sandals if you can instead of shoes.

If it looks like it's getting infected - you must see a doctor.

Mine were red and inflamed looking on and off for several days or more - but it never got bad enough where I felt it was infected.

Don't ever cut your toe nails shorter than your toes. Take a good look at where it's digging in - and make sure that you never cut those corners back far enough to do that again. Also make sure your shoes aren't too tight.

From all the reading I did - it sounds like ingrown toe nails can often be treated without surgery. Just don't ever mess with them if you think it's infected.

wendyn on 6/28/01 at 23:47 (051805)

PS. I always wear toe nail polish but I have no idea if it's a good idea or not.

Laurie R on 6/29/01 at 00:49 (051816)

Hi Nikki,
I don't have the answers you are looking for ,but I did want to say hi. I remember you from you other posts. You are a very sweet 13 year old . My oldest daughter is 13 she is also wonderful just like you. I am sure one of out nice doctors will answer your qestion. Hang in there.
I jsut wanted to say hi to you . Laurie R

Nikki on 6/29/01 at 09:00 (051845)

Hi Everyone. Thank you for your help. My toe is actually feeling much better! It feels like it's not even there anymore. Which is good.I think I'm still going to keep it taped for a couple more days though. But right now it feels like it's heeling fast! Thank you so much everyone!!!!I am glad now that the chances of me having to go to the doctor are slimmer!For, I really don't like needles. Thanks again!!!!!

Re: Re:Hello and I see that you have found a good place huh?

Tammie on 6/29/01 at 12:00 (051869)

hello Nikki, hehe do you know who this is ? I am glad that you trust the people here they are wonderful!!!!! And I only wish that you would not fear shots so much ! They really are not ALL bad for what they can do for helping you! Someday you will think that a shot is nothing to worry about it is always the unknown that scares us!!!!!!!! Welcome back and I am so very happy that there are wonderful people here to help you! Hugs to you, and hope the toe continues to get better!

Lori E. on 6/28/01 at 21:35 (051800)

Nikki,
I am not a doc, but I suggest you go to the doc. He may be able to take care of your toenail in his office. But if you wait, it could turn out like your brother's toenails. I had an ingrown toenail and the doc just took a special clipper and pried out the nail as he cut it. It didn't hurt a bit and felt alot better once he had finished treating it.
Part of growing up is gaining the wisdom to ask for help when you need it. I am pretty sure if this just started yesterday it probably isn't too bad.
As for the nail polish, don't do it. You toenail is already inflamed and there are alot of things in nail polish that can irritate your skin. I bet no one notices your toes when you go out as long as you don't call attention to them. Go ahead and see the doc before it gets worse.

wendyn on 6/28/01 at 23:47 (051804)

Nikki - I just finished dealing with my first real case of ingrown toenails (which by the way, started after an expensive pedicure...go figure).

For now, it sounds like your mom is doing the righ thing - soaking in warm water, the neosporin. Wear sandals if you can instead of shoes.

If it looks like it's getting infected - you must see a doctor.

Mine were red and inflamed looking on and off for several days or more - but it never got bad enough where I felt it was infected.

Don't ever cut your toe nails shorter than your toes. Take a good look at where it's digging in - and make sure that you never cut those corners back far enough to do that again. Also make sure your shoes aren't too tight.

From all the reading I did - it sounds like ingrown toe nails can often be treated without surgery. Just don't ever mess with them if you think it's infected.

wendyn on 6/28/01 at 23:47 (051805)

PS. I always wear toe nail polish but I have no idea if it's a good idea or not.

Laurie R on 6/29/01 at 00:49 (051816)

Hi Nikki,
I don't have the answers you are looking for ,but I did want to say hi. I remember you from you other posts. You are a very sweet 13 year old . My oldest daughter is 13 she is also wonderful just like you. I am sure one of out nice doctors will answer your qestion. Hang in there.
I jsut wanted to say hi to you . Laurie R

Nikki on 6/29/01 at 09:00 (051845)

Hi Everyone. Thank you for your help. My toe is actually feeling much better! It feels like it's not even there anymore. Which is good.I think I'm still going to keep it taped for a couple more days though. But right now it feels like it's heeling fast! Thank you so much everyone!!!!I am glad now that the chances of me having to go to the doctor are slimmer!For, I really don't like needles. Thanks again!!!!!

Re: Re:Hello and I see that you have found a good place huh?

Tammie on 6/29/01 at 12:00 (051869)

hello Nikki, hehe do you know who this is ? I am glad that you trust the people here they are wonderful!!!!! And I only wish that you would not fear shots so much ! They really are not ALL bad for what they can do for helping you! Someday you will think that a shot is nothing to worry about it is always the unknown that scares us!!!!!!!! Welcome back and I am so very happy that there are wonderful people here to help you! Hugs to you, and hope the toe continues to get better!