Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

I tryed on NB shoes today and

Posted by Tammie on 6/28/01 at 21:50 (051801)

I tryed on several shoes today , while we waited for daughters retainer to be done. I went to pennys, the woman was very good , but she does not like the nb croddtrainers,for me? She was trying to get me to buy the walker NBBut they did not have my right size, I noticed tho that when the orthodic was put in it pushed against my foot causing pain, we took out the NB insole first, when we put it and orthodic in it was better. I was not convinced tho,right one, So I tryed on others but seemed to be out of sizes, I needed a 7.5 wide so she told me to wait and come back in 2 weeks as they will have more supply,What worried me is I had on my reebox dmx the white ones hmmmm and I remember allot saying they were not any good , she recomends them and said she went to a thing for them and says the squeaking and swishing sound is natural it is the air flow? I dont know she really felt that I should stick with what I have or come in and try the NB walker when they get some in! I dont know looking for more advice! I tryed some 801 I think seemed very heavy I think it was like a gray one, then some white with blue I think 400 something lol and some 500? 700? LOl and she tryed some mens on me but much to big but I do like the bigger toe box area! Any advice?I am not rushing to buy this time I am looking and trying first!She said there are some good reebox to? I dont know my kid hates reebox says if I buy I cannot go with her hehehe!

Re: I tryed on NB shoes today and

Nancy S. on 6/29/01 at 01:45 (051823)

Tammie, I don't know if your Pennys salesperson knows her stuff or not, but I want to tell you about some New Balance cross trainers that I'm probably about to purchase.
A couple of weeks ago I visited my sister, and she takes the same size shoe I do. She had just bought some New Balance walker cross trainers -- I THINK they're walkers -- but I do know the number is 608 and that they're cross trainers.. A lot of people post here in the 800s and I don't know about those, I've never tried them, but while visiting my sister I wore her NB 608s for several hours and they felt great -- I usually wear Birks but would still love to have a shoe that wraps around my foot more for some times. These 608s seemed excellent and did feel good, and they're lightweight -- I mean they're even advertised as lightweight, and that's how they felt. LL Bean, for one, sells them, and since I'm about a half-hour drive from the Bean store I'm going to drive up there and get myself a pair, if they still feel as good in the store as I remember at my sister's.
So I just wanted to put in a word for the cross trainers -- maybe you should try them, just in case they'd work for you. Good luck.
Nancy

gails on 6/29/01 at 11:13 (051861)

My pod said that 80% of his heel pain sufferers are from rebok wearers.(Something about the rigidity of the heel counter) I'd been wearing them all my life. I'm a pf sufferer and have bought NB walkers and can't tell if I feel better with or without my Birk inserts. I have 754's and they are wicked light.
I've had heel pain for 6 mos and have managed to have sciatic pain, too.
It's a real pain in the butt.

Re: Reeboks

Nancy N on 6/29/01 at 11:55 (051867)

You know, now that you mention it, I was going for evening walks in my Reebok DMXs when this problem struck in my left foot four years ago. Doesn't account for the current case in the right foot, since those shoes had worn out by then, but it is certainly an interesting connection.

Re: Re:Thanks for

Tammie on 6/29/01 at 21:06 (051909)

Hi and thanks to all for help! I have heard allot about the reebox mostly bad and that is what I have lol, I am in process of searching for the good shoe for me! I am taking my time as I want to find the one that feels the best! I have one to many store and bugged the foot sales clerk, Some are to pushy and makes me agitated as I dont want them trying to sell me everything! I say I want a good shoe a comfortable one I tell them what i do for work and tell them about my foot problems. But you know they all seem to have ideas to which is the best shoe, and naturally no two are alike one told me they do like the NB walking shoe she has wore hers for a few months and she said she would never trade them! I went to some sports shoe stores in the mall like footlocker and champs, but they tend to reach for the most expensive they have and try to tell me they are the best! That is why the cost is high,lol I whip out my orthodics to put in the shoe to try and when they dont fit right they look at me like lady you are a nut heheh. I dont let them bambozzal me into anything there lol! But I did decide I cannot take my daughter shoe shopping she goes for looks and me I am smart enough now to know how precious thease feet are and pooy on looks or names , I want fit and comfort and support! So will keep searching they say bad time right now as stock is low but will get new stock for back to school shoppers! They tell me to give a few weeks and will be plentiful everywhere! Thanks ladies for taking time to reply to me! Have a nice evening!

Carmel M on 6/29/01 at hrmin (051914)

Hi Tammie,

I don't know if this helps, but I've tried some different New Balance shoes too. I previously wore Avia, but after wearing NB for a while now, the NB are better. Mine are walking shoes, number 655. I tried the NB 1121 running shoe with my orthotic, but after wearing them for only a few hours the non PF foot hurt on the bottom outside area. The 841's were almost the same, but not quite as painfull to wear. Finally after being at my wits end at the shoe store, I bought the NB 655's, and I have been very happy with these. I wear my 3/4 length custom made orthotics in these shoes, and they feel fine. A little sqeaky, but baby powder helps that!!

I hope this helps you. Good luck in your search!

Carmel

Tammie on 6/29/01 at 22:50 (051921)

Thank u for the information!!! I am always glad to hear what works for others as then I may try it to! The next few weeks I am going to be very good and do what i should be, at least i will try very hard, but I want to be finding really good shoes for my feet so when i go back to nursing my feet will be comfortable and safe!!!!!!I am supposed to have white shoes but I know they will let me wear whatever to help my feet! I to have the 3/4 orthodics so will look at thease shoes I may have tryed them on already hehe as I have tried so many but some did not have my size in so will try again soon!Thanks again!Continuing my search for healthy happy feet! Hugs friends

Lisa C. on 6/30/01 at 00:25 (051925)

Do you have a 'Fleet Feet' store near you? I went to 5 stores and ended up at Fleet Feet where the staff seemed very knowleable. The manager told me that Reebok has a tendency to bend in the middle. I've read here, thats not what you want.

Tammie on 6/30/01 at 09:28 (051935)

Lisa and all,
Thanks for commenting, hmmmm no in fact I have never heard of that store. I live kinda in the country setting we have to go about close to a hour to find a mall, and when we get to a mall they have the normal stores like your major ,pennys, dillards.sears,chmps footlocker ,neals, another type like footlocker cant rember name, there is a dunhams,a couple of other little shoe stores! Khols,kaufmanns.LOL I have been to a couple each time I go I try to pick a couple of stores to check, I dont like to go forever as I get tired and overwelmed then frustrated! I used to wear nursemate shoes at work I did like them but then the store that carried them disappeared and truthfully I dont know if they were good or not! I am a flatfooted person whos foot rolls inside I never had the orthodics till now tho ,I used to be the one who could or would just buy any shoe as dont laugh but seemed like the cheaper shoes felt better they wore out quicker, and now I have foot problems heeh but I never new how important shoes were! I tell everyone now like some authority lol , take care of your feet girls, get good shoes, I have taken a closer interest to my kids and hubbys footwear now also! And my mom who has foot and leg troubles she wears awful shoes, no support at all I tell her mom you are going to break a ankle ,she is a factory worker on her feet constantly, so if I find a good shoe I will convince her of it and or I will buy her a pair! LOL So really I do appreciate all of the help in my search!I seen some avia 332 walking shoes in a nursing uniform catalog , but they are the same catalog that says how wonderful the reebox dmx are so I am leary if you know what i mean, I am gathering quite a shoe supply here lol, and I am a person who hates shoes. I hear allot about the birks, I wonder if you wear your orthodics with them to? I wish for summer I could have a sandel, I have like thease adidas black plastic like slip ons for shower and pool wear but am not sure how much I should wear them? As they cannot acomidate the orthodics! Well will continue my searching ! Thanks for any advice always looking for more knowledge! I now have about hm 4 or 5 or hehe maybe more shoes that I am not fond of or have been told not to good for my foot problem !

Lisa C on 6/30/01 at 18:59 (051955)

Just for grins you could go to google search and type in Brooks shoe dog. There you answer ?'s about your size, feet and even recent injury, which has PF as a choice. Then the 'shoe dog' fetches the pair of shoes just right for you. Then click on the shoe and it will tell you all the attributes of the shoe. Mine came up as good for a heavier frame with a high arch who overpronates... One shoe I was going to buy was for the lighter frame & flat to low arches. I hate that the shoes in the store do not have anything written on the box that tells you what conditions they are good for. New balance website has all the info available on each shoe too. Maybe do alot of home research and then hit the stores with a list of the shoes you want to try on. Don't forget the flex test! I don't think we can do too much reasearch or ask too many questions. Especially if it saves you buying a pair of shoes to decorate the bottom of your closet with.

Re: To Tammie Re: New Balance

Denise D. on 7/02/01 at 02:19 (052030)

Hi Tammie,
Just thought I'd give you my two-cents worth of advice on the shoes.
I bought a pair of Reebox DMX shoes when I first started having foot problems, they seemed to cushion my foot really well, but since I wear a size 10!! They really didn't give me enough room in the toe box, and by the way they are noisy!! Every time I take a step I hear that 'SWISH-SWISH' sound which they say is normal, but it drives me crazy.
I've heard so much about New Balance that I thought I'd try a pair. I bought the SL-2 walking shoe. It's wide enough for my feet and gives me plenty of room, but I don't think there's enough support on the bottom. When I wear them for any length of time the ball of my foot feels tired, they just aren't cushiony like the Reebox. If I buy New Balance again I think I'll try their cross-trainers, I just need more thickness on the bottom.
I'm also curious about Birkenstocks. I've never worn a pair and wonder if they are worth the $$. Also since there are some many to choose from, which is best for heel spurs?!?
Hope my little bit of information helps you.
Best of Luck,
Denise D.

Re: I am not sure?

Tammie on 7/02/01 at 09:36 (052055)

thanks for the info.,I know it is so hard looking for the right shoe . I went to that search dog that was recomended(by the way thanks) And they said to try NB 1121 and NB841 I told them I need a white work shoe and a pair of sneakers for casual as work shes have to be left there, or at least supposed to be as they dont want us spreading germs hehehe! I know what u say about the noise from the reebox they are noisy! Evev the first day I wore them and for nursing that is not good lol!I have never wore the birks tho have heard plenty here about being wonderful,I could look into them wonder if they have a modle that is not sandle or maybe a nursing one I need to look on web site but I am sorry I am a awful when it comes to shoes I really just hate looking and then buying lol now the rest of family are shoe people lol but they have never interested me and I hate to decide the shoe I should buy and when you try them on it is different , I tryed NB one of ther walker ones and a crosstrainer I think the both were allot of white whith a bit of blue in them and felt good pretty much but the toe area on the one (but was wrong size were out of mine) seemed like a llot of extra room!I was worried to much room? I will do this lol but I am giving time as dont want to buy the wrong shoe again! Funds become limilted when you are home off of work lol cant afford to have all shoes laying in closet anymore hehehe ! So thanks all!

Re: To help you decide.

Andrea R. on 7/02/01 at 10:37 (052062)

Tammie,

Berkenstock does have a closed white shoe but it was over a hundred dollars. The toe area of the NB's do have a lot of room. As long as they fit well in the arch and heel, I find the extra toe room an asset. I wear an 8 or 8 1/2 wide but too many of the shoes slip in the heel. I guess that's why I like the NB's. I wear the 841's with custom orthotics.

If you buy a pair of 841's in 8W and they don't work out I'll buy them from you. I'm almost ready for a new pair and if I can help you out I'd love to.

Andrea

Lisa C on 7/02/01 at 12:52 (052068)

Tammie,
A shoe that was recommended to me by bgcped (said if you like a more plain shoe this is a good shoe) is New Balance ww810. You can see it on the NB website. It is all white and attractive. It would have been my first choice but for me the 'wrinkle/crease' made across the top when walking pressed right on a sensitive spot on my toes. I am sure that no two people can have this same prob. I think that they were more reasonably priced then some of the more high tec running shoes. Buying shoes can be sooo frustrating! There is about a million choices, and it seems like alot of the 'help' in the shoe stores can look for your size and ring you up. I really appreciated the suggestions I got here as it narrowed down my search. My shoe dog only worked for Brooks. I've seen a shoe bird as well. (can't take it too seriously but could try the suggested shoes on?) Keep trying & good luck!

Nancy S. on 6/29/01 at 01:45 (051823)

Tammie, I don't know if your Pennys salesperson knows her stuff or not, but I want to tell you about some New Balance cross trainers that I'm probably about to purchase.
A couple of weeks ago I visited my sister, and she takes the same size shoe I do. She had just bought some New Balance walker cross trainers -- I THINK they're walkers -- but I do know the number is 608 and that they're cross trainers.. A lot of people post here in the 800s and I don't know about those, I've never tried them, but while visiting my sister I wore her NB 608s for several hours and they felt great -- I usually wear Birks but would still love to have a shoe that wraps around my foot more for some times. These 608s seemed excellent and did feel good, and they're lightweight -- I mean they're even advertised as lightweight, and that's how they felt. LL Bean, for one, sells them, and since I'm about a half-hour drive from the Bean store I'm going to drive up there and get myself a pair, if they still feel as good in the store as I remember at my sister's.
So I just wanted to put in a word for the cross trainers -- maybe you should try them, just in case they'd work for you. Good luck.
Nancy

gails on 6/29/01 at 11:13 (051861)

My pod said that 80% of his heel pain sufferers are from rebok wearers.(Something about the rigidity of the heel counter) I'd been wearing them all my life. I'm a pf sufferer and have bought NB walkers and can't tell if I feel better with or without my Birk inserts. I have 754's and they are wicked light.
I've had heel pain for 6 mos and have managed to have sciatic pain, too.
It's a real pain in the butt.

Re: Reeboks

Nancy N on 6/29/01 at 11:55 (051867)

You know, now that you mention it, I was going for evening walks in my Reebok DMXs when this problem struck in my left foot four years ago. Doesn't account for the current case in the right foot, since those shoes had worn out by then, but it is certainly an interesting connection.

Re: Re:Thanks for

Tammie on 6/29/01 at 21:06 (051909)

Hi and thanks to all for help! I have heard allot about the reebox mostly bad and that is what I have lol, I am in process of searching for the good shoe for me! I am taking my time as I want to find the one that feels the best! I have one to many store and bugged the foot sales clerk, Some are to pushy and makes me agitated as I dont want them trying to sell me everything! I say I want a good shoe a comfortable one I tell them what i do for work and tell them about my foot problems. But you know they all seem to have ideas to which is the best shoe, and naturally no two are alike one told me they do like the NB walking shoe she has wore hers for a few months and she said she would never trade them! I went to some sports shoe stores in the mall like footlocker and champs, but they tend to reach for the most expensive they have and try to tell me they are the best! That is why the cost is high,lol I whip out my orthodics to put in the shoe to try and when they dont fit right they look at me like lady you are a nut heheh. I dont let them bambozzal me into anything there lol! But I did decide I cannot take my daughter shoe shopping she goes for looks and me I am smart enough now to know how precious thease feet are and pooy on looks or names , I want fit and comfort and support! So will keep searching they say bad time right now as stock is low but will get new stock for back to school shoppers! They tell me to give a few weeks and will be plentiful everywhere! Thanks ladies for taking time to reply to me! Have a nice evening!

Carmel M on 6/29/01 at hrmin (051914)

Hi Tammie,

I don't know if this helps, but I've tried some different New Balance shoes too. I previously wore Avia, but after wearing NB for a while now, the NB are better. Mine are walking shoes, number 655. I tried the NB 1121 running shoe with my orthotic, but after wearing them for only a few hours the non PF foot hurt on the bottom outside area. The 841's were almost the same, but not quite as painfull to wear. Finally after being at my wits end at the shoe store, I bought the NB 655's, and I have been very happy with these. I wear my 3/4 length custom made orthotics in these shoes, and they feel fine. A little sqeaky, but baby powder helps that!!

I hope this helps you. Good luck in your search!

Carmel

Tammie on 6/29/01 at 22:50 (051921)

Thank u for the information!!! I am always glad to hear what works for others as then I may try it to! The next few weeks I am going to be very good and do what i should be, at least i will try very hard, but I want to be finding really good shoes for my feet so when i go back to nursing my feet will be comfortable and safe!!!!!!I am supposed to have white shoes but I know they will let me wear whatever to help my feet! I to have the 3/4 orthodics so will look at thease shoes I may have tryed them on already hehe as I have tried so many but some did not have my size in so will try again soon!Thanks again!Continuing my search for healthy happy feet! Hugs friends

Lisa C. on 6/30/01 at 00:25 (051925)

Do you have a 'Fleet Feet' store near you? I went to 5 stores and ended up at Fleet Feet where the staff seemed very knowleable. The manager told me that Reebok has a tendency to bend in the middle. I've read here, thats not what you want.

Tammie on 6/30/01 at 09:28 (051935)

Lisa and all,
Thanks for commenting, hmmmm no in fact I have never heard of that store. I live kinda in the country setting we have to go about close to a hour to find a mall, and when we get to a mall they have the normal stores like your major ,pennys, dillards.sears,chmps footlocker ,neals, another type like footlocker cant rember name, there is a dunhams,a couple of other little shoe stores! Khols,kaufmanns.LOL I have been to a couple each time I go I try to pick a couple of stores to check, I dont like to go forever as I get tired and overwelmed then frustrated! I used to wear nursemate shoes at work I did like them but then the store that carried them disappeared and truthfully I dont know if they were good or not! I am a flatfooted person whos foot rolls inside I never had the orthodics till now tho ,I used to be the one who could or would just buy any shoe as dont laugh but seemed like the cheaper shoes felt better they wore out quicker, and now I have foot problems heeh but I never new how important shoes were! I tell everyone now like some authority lol , take care of your feet girls, get good shoes, I have taken a closer interest to my kids and hubbys footwear now also! And my mom who has foot and leg troubles she wears awful shoes, no support at all I tell her mom you are going to break a ankle ,she is a factory worker on her feet constantly, so if I find a good shoe I will convince her of it and or I will buy her a pair! LOL So really I do appreciate all of the help in my search!I seen some avia 332 walking shoes in a nursing uniform catalog , but they are the same catalog that says how wonderful the reebox dmx are so I am leary if you know what i mean, I am gathering quite a shoe supply here lol, and I am a person who hates shoes. I hear allot about the birks, I wonder if you wear your orthodics with them to? I wish for summer I could have a sandel, I have like thease adidas black plastic like slip ons for shower and pool wear but am not sure how much I should wear them? As they cannot acomidate the orthodics! Well will continue my searching ! Thanks for any advice always looking for more knowledge! I now have about hm 4 or 5 or hehe maybe more shoes that I am not fond of or have been told not to good for my foot problem !

Lisa C on 6/30/01 at 18:59 (051955)

Just for grins you could go to google search and type in Brooks shoe dog. There you answer ?'s about your size, feet and even recent injury, which has PF as a choice. Then the 'shoe dog' fetches the pair of shoes just right for you. Then click on the shoe and it will tell you all the attributes of the shoe. Mine came up as good for a heavier frame with a high arch who overpronates... One shoe I was going to buy was for the lighter frame & flat to low arches. I hate that the shoes in the store do not have anything written on the box that tells you what conditions they are good for. New balance website has all the info available on each shoe too. Maybe do alot of home research and then hit the stores with a list of the shoes you want to try on. Don't forget the flex test! I don't think we can do too much reasearch or ask too many questions. Especially if it saves you buying a pair of shoes to decorate the bottom of your closet with.

Re: To Tammie Re: New Balance

Denise D. on 7/02/01 at 02:19 (052030)

Hi Tammie,
Just thought I'd give you my two-cents worth of advice on the shoes.
I bought a pair of Reebox DMX shoes when I first started having foot problems, they seemed to cushion my foot really well, but since I wear a size 10!! They really didn't give me enough room in the toe box, and by the way they are noisy!! Every time I take a step I hear that 'SWISH-SWISH' sound which they say is normal, but it drives me crazy.
I've heard so much about New Balance that I thought I'd try a pair. I bought the SL-2 walking shoe. It's wide enough for my feet and gives me plenty of room, but I don't think there's enough support on the bottom. When I wear them for any length of time the ball of my foot feels tired, they just aren't cushiony like the Reebox. If I buy New Balance again I think I'll try their cross-trainers, I just need more thickness on the bottom.
I'm also curious about Birkenstocks. I've never worn a pair and wonder if they are worth the $$. Also since there are some many to choose from, which is best for heel spurs?!?
Hope my little bit of information helps you.
Best of Luck,
Denise D.

Tammie on 7/02/01 at 09:36 (052055)

thanks for the info.,I know it is so hard looking for the right shoe . I went to that search dog that was recomended(by the way thanks) And they said to try NB 1121 and NB841 I told them I need a white work shoe and a pair of sneakers for casual as work shes have to be left there, or at least supposed to be as they dont want us spreading germs hehehe! I know what u say about the noise from the reebox they are noisy! Evev the first day I wore them and for nursing that is not good lol!I have never wore the birks tho have heard plenty here about being wonderful,I could look into them wonder if they have a modle that is not sandle or maybe a nursing one I need to look on web site but I am sorry I am a awful when it comes to shoes I really just hate looking and then buying lol now the rest of family are shoe people lol but they have never interested me and I hate to decide the shoe I should buy and when you try them on it is different , I tryed NB one of ther walker ones and a crosstrainer I think the both were allot of white whith a bit of blue in them and felt good pretty much but the toe area on the one (but was wrong size were out of mine) seemed like a llot of extra room!I was worried to much room? I will do this lol but I am giving time as dont want to buy the wrong shoe again! Funds become limilted when you are home off of work lol cant afford to have all shoes laying in closet anymore hehehe ! So thanks all!

Re: To help you decide.

Andrea R. on 7/02/01 at 10:37 (052062)

Tammie,

Berkenstock does have a closed white shoe but it was over a hundred dollars. The toe area of the NB's do have a lot of room. As long as they fit well in the arch and heel, I find the extra toe room an asset. I wear an 8 or 8 1/2 wide but too many of the shoes slip in the heel. I guess that's why I like the NB's. I wear the 841's with custom orthotics.

If you buy a pair of 841's in 8W and they don't work out I'll buy them from you. I'm almost ready for a new pair and if I can help you out I'd love to.

Andrea

Lisa C on 7/02/01 at 12:52 (052068)

Tammie,
A shoe that was recommended to me by bgcped (said if you like a more plain shoe this is a good shoe) is New Balance ww810. You can see it on the NB website. It is all white and attractive. It would have been my first choice but for me the 'wrinkle/crease' made across the top when walking pressed right on a sensitive spot on my toes. I am sure that no two people can have this same prob. I think that they were more reasonably priced then some of the more high tec running shoes. Buying shoes can be sooo frustrating! There is about a million choices, and it seems like alot of the 'help' in the shoe stores can look for your size and ring you up. I really appreciated the suggestions I got here as it narrowed down my search. My shoe dog only worked for Brooks. I've seen a shoe bird as well. (can't take it too seriously but could try the suggested shoes on?) Keep trying & good luck!