Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Suggestion for Dress Shoes

Posted by Valerie K S on 6/29/01 at 23:31 (051923)

I am hoping that there is someone out there similar to me. I had PF surgery on April 4th. I have flat feet and wear a size 10 shoe, totally cursed as I see it(lol). If there are any women who have purchased heeled dress shoes that are comfortable to wear with your orthotics, would you please write to me and tell me the brand name and style. I am thinking about a pair of aersoles, has anyone had good luck with that brand? Thanks for your help.

Re: I wish I new to lol

Tammie on 6/30/01 at 09:35 (051936)

I seen those in the store to Val some sales lady was telling a woman how wonderful they were, me I dont know I am looking for sneakers right now and having a fit lol, I was told I should try the easy spirits by a few at work but I think I may have read a post here that they were not good! Dont you get frustrated with shoes to? I have a 7.5 or sometimes 8 but I need a wide , and seems to be popular size as always out when I want to try something on! What do u wear for sneakers if u dont mind me asking?I had the pf and spur surgery apr,17 so we are close lol! Sorry I hope someone can help you! Me I have been fumbling forever looking I have several lists and numbers for sneaker shoes I have printed out here but finding has been hard for me as we live in the boondocks actually amish country lol! Take care and good luck!

Re: Suggestion for Dress Shoes

Denise D. on 7/02/01 at 02:30 (052031)

Hi Valerie,
Well, there's got to be hope for all us big-footed women!
I wear a size 10 also, and its horrible trying to find shoes that fit, feel good give support while being fashionable, but I'm still searching and when I find them I'll sure let you know.
Good Luck in your search,
Denise D.

Re: big-footed babes

Mary De on 7/03/01 at hrmin (052111)

A size 10, is that all?! I wear a size 11 extra-wide in women's, when I can find it. Very high arch makes fit even more difficult. Finding a comfy dress shoe, well-made, low-heeled, at a reasonable price? I'm dreaming. Last year, decided my feet 'were worth it' and bought a $120 pair of English maryjanes, which the salesman swore were excellent walkers. They're the ones I developed PF in.

Interested if anyone else in my shoe-size range has found good women's shoes -- I'd love to get the details.

Mary De

PS. I'm almost 6', so big feet comes with the territory, so to speak.

Beverly on 7/04/01 at 19:10 (052238)

Me too. Big feet. American size: 11W. Euro size 41-42. I've found Dansko's run big and wide. For around the house, I'm wearing 'Dr. Zen' with my orthodics. Very ugly, but they are made out of a stretchy material that conforms to the shape of your foot and the footbed was made to accomodate orthodics. I ordered it from Footsmart catalog. (Look for the on the web... can't remember web address.)

Last year, I switched to men's athletic shoes. They run wider... ect.
Weird thing is until PF and PTT, I only wore a 9-9.5!

Birks run wonderfully big and wide but they don't accomodate my orthodics and are bad for my recently developed achilles tendonitis. I miss them dearly.

Ambulators (some look like Rockports) and can be ordered from an orthodist come in many sizes and width. Are made with extra depth for orthodics. Softer than Drew (another orthopedic line) and less old ladyish looking.

I gave up on true dress shoes when I got PF. My Dansko sandals are as close to dress shoes as I get. I try not to wear them too often since I can't put orthodics in them. Some people put orthodics in their closed toe Dansko clogs. They took up too much room in the shoe on my wide feet.

I'm not even especially overweight... My feet just spread out like a duck... post PF.
Beverly

Kay S on 7/04/01 at 20:24 (052245)

Hail to the Shoe Queen!!!!!! Beverly, I am always SO impressed with all you know about shoes. I wish I could have you get mine for me, because I have a closet full of shoes I can't wear. The only ones I am sure of are the New Balance 990's that I reorder every six months. They don't look that great with a dress, but oh well.
We have three weddings to attend this summer, and I am already concerned about what shoes I can wear. I know I'll end up in Birk's but don't want to start out in them with my dressup clothes. I seem to do better if I change my shoes frequently throughout the day. Do you do that?
Kay

Re: Thanks for the response!

Valerie K S on 7/05/01 at 18:53 (052304)

You guys are terrific! Thanks so much for responding so quickly on my dress shoe inquiry. Today I went to 'The Avenue' because someone told me about some shoes called 'Cloudwalkers'. I tried on a pair that were so comfortable, they really live up to their name. My only difficulty was finding them in navy since I wear alot of that color. The style I loved were the 'Empire' style number is 4079. They are a 1 inch heeled, squared toed pump. They come in black, bone and burgundy. They cost $50.00. They also have an online store at cloudwalkers.com, but some styles are not on the website and you either need to call at (888) 647-4653 or order a catalog which they say has alot more to offer. I hope this helps someone.

Tammie,

I have two pairs of sneakers that I like and they are both reeboks. I have tried on the New Balance and they are really comfortable, those will be my next purchase.

Cheers Everyone,

Valerie

Re: To kay: Shoe Queen loses more often than wins

Beverly on 7/05/01 at 19:01 (052305)

Kay,

I've been obsessed with the notion that finding the 'right' shoe will take me a long way to health, that I've made it my mission to shoe shop. I've found more rejects than wins. About half the time, I figure this out in time to return the shoes. About the other half of the time, I pronounce them 'wonderful' and then a few weeks later, they land in the reject pile.
I have a good friend who wears my same size. I've practically outfitted her entire closet on my failed attempts. That makes me feel better than staring at them in the closet.

I've packed my Birks away. No way am I giving them to anyone. I hope that someday when I'm well past the Achilles Tendonitis, I can wear them again. In the meantime, I only get weak and wear them every once and awhile around the house.

I would hate to add up what I've spent on shoes. More since PF than I spent in my entire 41 year lifetime prior to PF.

My biggest amazement so far is how much better made men's shoes are. I'd never been in the men's shoe department until PF. No wonder women have more foot problems!

I was so determined to find shoes that would work with my orthodics (the 1st set to show promise) that I listened to self-confidence tapes at night visualizing myself finding a successful pair of shoes!

Like I said, it's been a bit of an obsession.
Beverly

Re: Thanks for the responseAnd how do people feel about those addias black like shower shoes for just wearing in home?>

Tammie on 7/05/01 at 19:05 (052306)

Well i am happy some are finding shoes lol, me I am a skeptic lol and whats that word lol I procastinate alot about finally BUYING more shoes hehe, so you tried the NB? what ones did you try?I was at sears Tues. night to pick up hubbies glasses and I was looking at there NB shoes to they have allot of the 500 ? seems like I did not have time to try on as I was in a hurry lol, Always the case hurry so much to do even when home! I had got a pair of thease addais black like shower shoe,sandle,I wear them in shower and stuff does anyone know if they are bad for feet for just wearing in house as my feet get so hot in shoes with orthodics and I just wonder as I hate to wreck my feet.I try to give feet a beak and put those on and it lets them get air! Well thanks and glad to hear that you found some shoes lol!

Re: To Beverly: Shoe Queen loses more often than wins

Julie on 7/06/01 at 05:10 (052323)

Bev, you've said a mouthful: 'no wonder women have more foot problems'. Indeed.

I've recently discovered North Face Targas: they're the most comfortable, supportive shoes I've ever worn. They run wide, which I too need, especially in the forefoot, and the toebox is deep, so my orthotics are easily accommodated. They are grey with black toes, and look just a little bit more like a shoe than like a sneaker, although they are fully-fledged walking shoes with a good tread and plenty of cushioning.

Just a thought - but maybe the Shoe Queen has probably already found and rejected them?

ellen w on 7/06/01 at 10:52 (052345)

Bev,
I can really relate to this post. I've taken to staring at people's shoes on the subway, thinking, 'Wow, those shoes look comfortable, wonder if they'd work.' Haven't yet started holding subway shoe conversations with strangers yet, though. Right now I'm wearing a pair of men's Saucony's, which have a wide toebox and a fairly narrow heel so they fit pretty well, though the sole is a little thicker than I'm used to, and that's been an adjustment.
ellen

Julie on 7/06/01 at 13:29 (052359)

Ellen, a few months ago while waiting for a train I saw a woman sitting on the station platform wearing a pair of shoes that looked absolutely wonderful. I finally got up the nerve to ask her where she bought them, and she said 'Belgium'. Oh. But I'm delighted with my North Face Targas.

Re: Julie, I've not seen that shoe. Where did you find it?

Beverly on 7/07/01 at 13:43 (052407)

Julie,

In all my shoe hunting, I've not seen the North Targa. What is it like and where did you find it? I need a firm heel and plenty of arch support.
Thanks,
Beverly

Julie on 7/07/01 at 15:18 (052413)

Bev, North Face Targa a trekking shoe 'designed with the highest quality materials and craftsman ship to meet the needs of a range of trail users from day hikers to heavy-duty backpackers', according to the leaflet that came with the shoes. Definitely not a fashion shoe, but, as I said, it looks a little more like shoe than like a trainer/sneaker. I put them through their paces for ten days in Paris and found them very comfortable, very supportive. It's mainly light grey, with a black toe and heel, has good tread and a quite a thick sole. It doesn't have a great deal of arch support by itself, but I wear orthotics all the time with them. The main thing for me is that it has plenty of room in the toebox - both width and height.

I bought them here at a sports shop (Ellis Brigham in Southampton Street, Covent Garden) - it has the best stock of hiking shoes I've come across, in case anybody in London is listening. The price: ?50. The leaflet gives a US postal address (unfortunately no wbesite address)

The North Face, Inc.
2013 Farallon Drive
San Leandro
CA 94677

Re: Re:Bev: Targas ps

Julie on 7/07/01 at 15:20 (052414)

?50 means 50 UK pounds. I keep forgetting that my pound sign always turns into a question mark. Sorry for any confusion.

Re: Julie, North face web site

Donna SL on 7/08/01 at 12:37 (052468)

Hi Julie,

I found the North Face web site

http://www.thenorthface.com/index_flash.html

San Leandro isn't far from me, yet the Northface shoes are hard to find here in SF.

The shop you mentioned in Convent Gardens is helpful info. I'll know where to go when we move to the UK

Donna

Donna SL on 7/08/01 at 12:55 (052470)

Opps! Just found a Northface Flagship store listed on the web site around 10 blocks from where I live in San Francisco. Never realized it was there.

Julie on 7/08/01 at 16:31 (052477)

Thanks, Donna. I'm sure Beverly saw your post too.

Rick M on 7/29/01 at 09:03 (054684)

While I can't speak from experience, my wife also has large feet (ladies 8 wide was the right length but not wide enough). After trying every shoe store in our area, I noticed some men's shoes that were similar to the what she was looking for (mocasin toe dress shoe). She tried them on and loved them. About all she buys now is mens shoes, they fit her feet better. Not on the cutting edge of style, but comfortable.

Re: I wish I new to lol

Tammie on 6/30/01 at 09:35 (051936)

I seen those in the store to Val some sales lady was telling a woman how wonderful they were, me I dont know I am looking for sneakers right now and having a fit lol, I was told I should try the easy spirits by a few at work but I think I may have read a post here that they were not good! Dont you get frustrated with shoes to? I have a 7.5 or sometimes 8 but I need a wide , and seems to be popular size as always out when I want to try something on! What do u wear for sneakers if u dont mind me asking?I had the pf and spur surgery apr,17 so we are close lol! Sorry I hope someone can help you! Me I have been fumbling forever looking I have several lists and numbers for sneaker shoes I have printed out here but finding has been hard for me as we live in the boondocks actually amish country lol! Take care and good luck!

Denise D. on 7/02/01 at 02:30 (052031)

Hi Valerie,
Well, there's got to be hope for all us big-footed women!
I wear a size 10 also, and its horrible trying to find shoes that fit, feel good give support while being fashionable, but I'm still searching and when I find them I'll sure let you know.
Good Luck in your search,
Denise D.

Mary De on 7/03/01 at hrmin (052111)

A size 10, is that all?! I wear a size 11 extra-wide in women's, when I can find it. Very high arch makes fit even more difficult. Finding a comfy dress shoe, well-made, low-heeled, at a reasonable price? I'm dreaming. Last year, decided my feet 'were worth it' and bought a $120 pair of English maryjanes, which the salesman swore were excellent walkers. They're the ones I developed PF in.

Interested if anyone else in my shoe-size range has found good women's shoes -- I'd love to get the details.

Mary De

PS. I'm almost 6', so big feet comes with the territory, so to speak.

Beverly on 7/04/01 at 19:10 (052238)

Me too. Big feet. American size: 11W. Euro size 41-42. I've found Dansko's run big and wide. For around the house, I'm wearing 'Dr. Zen' with my orthodics. Very ugly, but they are made out of a stretchy material that conforms to the shape of your foot and the footbed was made to accomodate orthodics. I ordered it from Footsmart catalog. (Look for the on the web... can't remember web address.)

Last year, I switched to men's athletic shoes. They run wider... ect.
Weird thing is until PF and PTT, I only wore a 9-9.5!

Birks run wonderfully big and wide but they don't accomodate my orthodics and are bad for my recently developed achilles tendonitis. I miss them dearly.

Ambulators (some look like Rockports) and can be ordered from an orthodist come in many sizes and width. Are made with extra depth for orthodics. Softer than Drew (another orthopedic line) and less old ladyish looking.

I gave up on true dress shoes when I got PF. My Dansko sandals are as close to dress shoes as I get. I try not to wear them too often since I can't put orthodics in them. Some people put orthodics in their closed toe Dansko clogs. They took up too much room in the shoe on my wide feet.

I'm not even especially overweight... My feet just spread out like a duck... post PF.
Beverly

Kay S on 7/04/01 at 20:24 (052245)

Hail to the Shoe Queen!!!!!! Beverly, I am always SO impressed with all you know about shoes. I wish I could have you get mine for me, because I have a closet full of shoes I can't wear. The only ones I am sure of are the New Balance 990's that I reorder every six months. They don't look that great with a dress, but oh well.
We have three weddings to attend this summer, and I am already concerned about what shoes I can wear. I know I'll end up in Birk's but don't want to start out in them with my dressup clothes. I seem to do better if I change my shoes frequently throughout the day. Do you do that?
Kay

Re: Thanks for the response!

Valerie K S on 7/05/01 at 18:53 (052304)

You guys are terrific! Thanks so much for responding so quickly on my dress shoe inquiry. Today I went to 'The Avenue' because someone told me about some shoes called 'Cloudwalkers'. I tried on a pair that were so comfortable, they really live up to their name. My only difficulty was finding them in navy since I wear alot of that color. The style I loved were the 'Empire' style number is 4079. They are a 1 inch heeled, squared toed pump. They come in black, bone and burgundy. They cost $50.00. They also have an online store at cloudwalkers.com, but some styles are not on the website and you either need to call at (888) 647-4653 or order a catalog which they say has alot more to offer. I hope this helps someone.

Tammie,

I have two pairs of sneakers that I like and they are both reeboks. I have tried on the New Balance and they are really comfortable, those will be my next purchase.

Cheers Everyone,

Valerie

Re: To kay: Shoe Queen loses more often than wins

Beverly on 7/05/01 at 19:01 (052305)

Kay,

I've been obsessed with the notion that finding the 'right' shoe will take me a long way to health, that I've made it my mission to shoe shop. I've found more rejects than wins. About half the time, I figure this out in time to return the shoes. About the other half of the time, I pronounce them 'wonderful' and then a few weeks later, they land in the reject pile.
I have a good friend who wears my same size. I've practically outfitted her entire closet on my failed attempts. That makes me feel better than staring at them in the closet.

I've packed my Birks away. No way am I giving them to anyone. I hope that someday when I'm well past the Achilles Tendonitis, I can wear them again. In the meantime, I only get weak and wear them every once and awhile around the house.

I would hate to add up what I've spent on shoes. More since PF than I spent in my entire 41 year lifetime prior to PF.

My biggest amazement so far is how much better made men's shoes are. I'd never been in the men's shoe department until PF. No wonder women have more foot problems!

I was so determined to find shoes that would work with my orthodics (the 1st set to show promise) that I listened to self-confidence tapes at night visualizing myself finding a successful pair of shoes!

Like I said, it's been a bit of an obsession.
Beverly

Re: Thanks for the responseAnd how do people feel about those addias black like shower shoes for just wearing in home?>

Tammie on 7/05/01 at 19:05 (052306)

Well i am happy some are finding shoes lol, me I am a skeptic lol and whats that word lol I procastinate alot about finally BUYING more shoes hehe, so you tried the NB? what ones did you try?I was at sears Tues. night to pick up hubbies glasses and I was looking at there NB shoes to they have allot of the 500 ? seems like I did not have time to try on as I was in a hurry lol, Always the case hurry so much to do even when home! I had got a pair of thease addais black like shower shoe,sandle,I wear them in shower and stuff does anyone know if they are bad for feet for just wearing in house as my feet get so hot in shoes with orthodics and I just wonder as I hate to wreck my feet.I try to give feet a beak and put those on and it lets them get air! Well thanks and glad to hear that you found some shoes lol!

Julie on 7/06/01 at 05:10 (052323)

Bev, you've said a mouthful: 'no wonder women have more foot problems'. Indeed.

I've recently discovered North Face Targas: they're the most comfortable, supportive shoes I've ever worn. They run wide, which I too need, especially in the forefoot, and the toebox is deep, so my orthotics are easily accommodated. They are grey with black toes, and look just a little bit more like a shoe than like a sneaker, although they are fully-fledged walking shoes with a good tread and plenty of cushioning.

Just a thought - but maybe the Shoe Queen has probably already found and rejected them?

ellen w on 7/06/01 at 10:52 (052345)

Bev,
I can really relate to this post. I've taken to staring at people's shoes on the subway, thinking, 'Wow, those shoes look comfortable, wonder if they'd work.' Haven't yet started holding subway shoe conversations with strangers yet, though. Right now I'm wearing a pair of men's Saucony's, which have a wide toebox and a fairly narrow heel so they fit pretty well, though the sole is a little thicker than I'm used to, and that's been an adjustment.
ellen

Julie on 7/06/01 at 13:29 (052359)

Ellen, a few months ago while waiting for a train I saw a woman sitting on the station platform wearing a pair of shoes that looked absolutely wonderful. I finally got up the nerve to ask her where she bought them, and she said 'Belgium'. Oh. But I'm delighted with my North Face Targas.

Beverly on 7/07/01 at 13:43 (052407)

Julie,

In all my shoe hunting, I've not seen the North Targa. What is it like and where did you find it? I need a firm heel and plenty of arch support.
Thanks,
Beverly

Julie on 7/07/01 at 15:18 (052413)

Bev, North Face Targa a trekking shoe 'designed with the highest quality materials and craftsman ship to meet the needs of a range of trail users from day hikers to heavy-duty backpackers', according to the leaflet that came with the shoes. Definitely not a fashion shoe, but, as I said, it looks a little more like shoe than like a trainer/sneaker. I put them through their paces for ten days in Paris and found them very comfortable, very supportive. It's mainly light grey, with a black toe and heel, has good tread and a quite a thick sole. It doesn't have a great deal of arch support by itself, but I wear orthotics all the time with them. The main thing for me is that it has plenty of room in the toebox - both width and height.

I bought them here at a sports shop (Ellis Brigham in Southampton Street, Covent Garden) - it has the best stock of hiking shoes I've come across, in case anybody in London is listening. The price: ?50. The leaflet gives a US postal address (unfortunately no wbesite address)

The North Face, Inc.
2013 Farallon Drive
San Leandro
CA 94677

Re: Re:Bev: Targas ps

Julie on 7/07/01 at 15:20 (052414)

?50 means 50 UK pounds. I keep forgetting that my pound sign always turns into a question mark. Sorry for any confusion.

Donna SL on 7/08/01 at 12:37 (052468)

Hi Julie,

I found the North Face web site

http://www.thenorthface.com/index_flash.html

San Leandro isn't far from me, yet the Northface shoes are hard to find here in SF.

The shop you mentioned in Convent Gardens is helpful info. I'll know where to go when we move to the UK

Donna

Donna SL on 7/08/01 at 12:55 (052470)

Opps! Just found a Northface Flagship store listed on the web site around 10 blocks from where I live in San Francisco. Never realized it was there.

Julie on 7/08/01 at 16:31 (052477)

Thanks, Donna. I'm sure Beverly saw your post too.

Rick M on 7/29/01 at 09:03 (054684)

While I can't speak from experience, my wife also has large feet (ladies 8 wide was the right length but not wide enough). After trying every shoe store in our area, I noticed some men's shoes that were similar to the what she was looking for (mocasin toe dress shoe). She tried them on and loved them. About all she buys now is mens shoes, they fit her feet better. Not on the cutting edge of style, but comfortable.