Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Night Splint ? & more

Posted by Lisa C on 6/30/01 at hrmin (051927)

I asked this before but don't remember getting an answer. Can you walk to the bathroom in the middle of the night wearing night splints? I would need 2 of them and would appreciate hearing any recent pros or cons before I actually spend over $180! Physical therapy suggested them today. I don't know if they really feel they help or if they don't have any other ideas. I asked if they would tape my knees, to see if a knee support would help. They told me they need a prescription before they can do anything to my knees. Red tape ugh! I am also trying the Jade Balm. I read a poster who said they used a 1/2 inch. I visualized a 1/2 of toothpaste. This stuff comes out of a pin hole. I can't beleive what a tiny amount a 1/2 inch is. I tried the German ibuprophen cream and figured it didn't work because it couldn't penetrate the thick hide of my heels. Hopefully the old saying is true and.. big surprizes come in little packages!

Re: Night Splint ? & more

Laurie R on 6/30/01 at 01:45 (051928)

Hi Lisa,
I used a night splint for a while ,sorry to say that it did not help my foot . My foot would always go numb in it and I could not sleep very well either. Now some people swear by night spints. I think it is like everything else it may work for some and not for others. As for walking in it ,no they are not for weight bearing . I think that most insurances will cover night splints ,if your doctor gives you a script for it . You may want to check with your doctor. My best to you . Laurie R

Lisa C on 6/30/01 at 02:06 (051929)

Thanks Laurie R. I am almost glad to hear your answer. I'm not thrilled about the idea of wearing ski boots to bed. GUARANTEE that it will make me pain free and I'd wear them in a second. Good advice about the insurance. It never occured to me. At the rate I'm going I will make my $2000. deductible this year! Did you have the night splint sold on this site, the one you can put ice in?

BrianG on 6/30/01 at 10:13 (051938)

Holy S*it, you have a $2,000 dedutable? And here I've been crying because mine just jumped to $750. What kind of messed up deal is our health care headed for.

I wore my ight splint for a couple years, on and off. Once I got used to it, I could finaly sleep through the night with it. If I had to go to the bathroom, I never bothered to take it off, but I really favored that leg. In the long run, I don't think it helped me too much.

I'm in the Jade balm trial also and haven't seen any improvement yet, but I haven't given up and I'll take it until the trial ends. For me, taping my feet has made the most difference lately. If I have a regular work day, I'll just use the 2 strips along the bottom of my foot. If I'm doing something bigger, like fishing, I'll use the full taping, as the Podiatrist taught me.

Good luck
BCG

Re: Don't walk in them.

Paula G. on 6/30/01 at 13:48 (051945)

Don't walk in them. As much of a pain as they are, you will notice a difference in the morning. It is very hard getting used to them and being comfortable in sleep. Use pillows, sometimes that helps.

Lisa C on 6/30/01 at 18:29 (051953)

You complain about $750.? We have almost always had a $2000. deductible. We are self employed & have been in the restaurant business for over 25 years. (concrete floors!) We figured that we have added a wing or two on our docter's houses. We have never had dental either and 2 kids who had braces.($3750. each) Did I make everyone grateful for what they have? It does kill me though when I am at the Dr.s or the pharmacy and I hear people say they have a $5 or $10 co-pay. It doesn't sound like the night splints would be good for me. I do get up at least 2x at night. Too much crystal lite late at night while on the computer. I have only used Jade Balm 2x but my feet felt a bit better each morn. I also started wearing new sneakers at the same time & took aleve. Before that I only wore sandals. I do hope I won't skew the stats. Perhaps heelspurs should start a giant swap meet/garage sale of sorts. We could all exchange products since it seems that what doesn't work for one person will work for another.

Lisa C on 6/30/01 at 18:30 (051954)

Thanks Paula! That is what I needed to know.

Re: night splint helped

Laura M. on 7/01/01 at 08:14 (051972)

I've actually found that my night splint helped quite a bit ... it really reduced soreness in the morning, and after a while the stretch on the fascia begins to feel really good. This is just my experience though ... sleeping with it is a bit annoying, since you have to adjust your body around it, and I've woken up with aches in strange places sometimes, but overall it's really not bad.

Bill E. on 7/05/01 at hrmin (052309)

As you noted....what works for some doesn't work for others. I have been off here for about a month due to moving but will throw in my two cents. My PF is almost completely cured (????) after about 8 months of working on the problem. I found that a night splint worked very well. I purchased one from my favorite online running store, partially because they told me that I could try it for up to a month and return it if it didn't work. (I am a long time customer with a special 'membership'.) It was about $50 and though not 'comfortable' it is quite adjustable and not too bad to wear. It took me about two days to be able to sleep through the night. Though if I was sleeping lightly and tried to turn over I would sometimes wake up. I only wore one on my right foot and I could walk in it, though I was walking on pretty thick carpet. I also found that ultrasound with cortisone cream (physical therapy) worked very well. I am also a strong believer in stretching though I think that you have to be careful to select the stretches that your body can handle with however severe your PF may be.

It seems that I tried everything and some things didn't work at all. My goal was to heal to the point where I could run again without significant pain. I am now up to about two miles on the treadmill about 5 times per week and some running outdoors (on the road). So...I think that there is hope but each case seems a bit different and there is a strong temptation to restart too fast.

Good luck and if you would like more information, send an email.
Bill

Laurie R on 6/30/01 at 01:45 (051928)

Hi Lisa,
I used a night splint for a while ,sorry to say that it did not help my foot . My foot would always go numb in it and I could not sleep very well either. Now some people swear by night spints. I think it is like everything else it may work for some and not for others. As for walking in it ,no they are not for weight bearing . I think that most insurances will cover night splints ,if your doctor gives you a script for it . You may want to check with your doctor. My best to you . Laurie R

Lisa C on 6/30/01 at 02:06 (051929)

Thanks Laurie R. I am almost glad to hear your answer. I'm not thrilled about the idea of wearing ski boots to bed. GUARANTEE that it will make me pain free and I'd wear them in a second. Good advice about the insurance. It never occured to me. At the rate I'm going I will make my $2000. deductible this year! Did you have the night splint sold on this site, the one you can put ice in?

BrianG on 6/30/01 at 10:13 (051938)

Holy S*it, you have a $2,000 dedutable? And here I've been crying because mine just jumped to $750. What kind of messed up deal is our health care headed for.

I wore my ight splint for a couple years, on and off. Once I got used to it, I could finaly sleep through the night with it. If I had to go to the bathroom, I never bothered to take it off, but I really favored that leg. In the long run, I don't think it helped me too much.

I'm in the Jade balm trial also and haven't seen any improvement yet, but I haven't given up and I'll take it until the trial ends. For me, taping my feet has made the most difference lately. If I have a regular work day, I'll just use the 2 strips along the bottom of my foot. If I'm doing something bigger, like fishing, I'll use the full taping, as the Podiatrist taught me.

Good luck
BCG

Paula G. on 6/30/01 at 13:48 (051945)

Don't walk in them. As much of a pain as they are, you will notice a difference in the morning. It is very hard getting used to them and being comfortable in sleep. Use pillows, sometimes that helps.

Lisa C on 6/30/01 at 18:29 (051953)

You complain about $750.? We have almost always had a $2000. deductible. We are self employed & have been in the restaurant business for over 25 years. (concrete floors!) We figured that we have added a wing or two on our docter's houses. We have never had dental either and 2 kids who had braces.($3750. each) Did I make everyone grateful for what they have? It does kill me though when I am at the Dr.s or the pharmacy and I hear people say they have a $5 or $10 co-pay. It doesn't sound like the night splints would be good for me. I do get up at least 2x at night. Too much crystal lite late at night while on the computer. I have only used Jade Balm 2x but my feet felt a bit better each morn. I also started wearing new sneakers at the same time & took aleve. Before that I only wore sandals. I do hope I won't skew the stats. Perhaps heelspurs should start a giant swap meet/garage sale of sorts. We could all exchange products since it seems that what doesn't work for one person will work for another.

Lisa C on 6/30/01 at 18:30 (051954)

Thanks Paula! That is what I needed to know.

Re: night splint helped

Laura M. on 7/01/01 at 08:14 (051972)

I've actually found that my night splint helped quite a bit ... it really reduced soreness in the morning, and after a while the stretch on the fascia begins to feel really good. This is just my experience though ... sleeping with it is a bit annoying, since you have to adjust your body around it, and I've woken up with aches in strange places sometimes, but overall it's really not bad.

Bill E. on 7/05/01 at hrmin (052309)

As you noted....what works for some doesn't work for others. I have been off here for about a month due to moving but will throw in my two cents. My PF is almost completely cured (????) after about 8 months of working on the problem. I found that a night splint worked very well. I purchased one from my favorite online running store, partially because they told me that I could try it for up to a month and return it if it didn't work. (I am a long time customer with a special 'membership'.) It was about $50 and though not 'comfortable' it is quite adjustable and not too bad to wear. It took me about two days to be able to sleep through the night. Though if I was sleeping lightly and tried to turn over I would sometimes wake up. I only wore one on my right foot and I could walk in it, though I was walking on pretty thick carpet. I also found that ultrasound with cortisone cream (physical therapy) worked very well. I am also a strong believer in stretching though I think that you have to be careful to select the stretches that your body can handle with however severe your PF may be.

It seems that I tried everything and some things didn't work at all. My goal was to heal to the point where I could run again without significant pain. I am now up to about two miles on the treadmill about 5 times per week and some running outdoors (on the road). So...I think that there is hope but each case seems a bit different and there is a strong temptation to restart too fast.

Good luck and if you would like more information, send an email.
Bill