Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

chronic plantar fasciitis

Posted by Lori S on 7/01/01 at hrmin (051979)

I have had plantar fasciitis since December of '99. I've tried traditional therapies including physical therapy, deep tissue massage, ice, cortisone shots, nightsplint, a 'boot' during the day, stretches, etc.; and alternative therapies such as acupuncture. The condition was about 75% healed when I developed a stress fracture in the same foot. Unfortunately it was right before our European vacation and the tickets were non-refundable so we went and I hobbled along. After the vacation I decided I need to just take some time to rest. So I took almost 2 months off from work and did NOTHING except lay around and gain 10 pounds. After my leave I went back into PT and purchased the outrageously expensive custom orthotics which insurance does not cover. I did ok for a couple months and then the plantar fascitiis came back again in full force. I am back in PT with litle results. I spoke with a fellow at the clinic one day who said he had 'the surgery' (traditional) about 10 years ago and he's been fine ever since. Since he is a police officer and on his feet all day he said they still get sore but not from the plantar fasciitis. I was considering surgery to remove the scar tissue that has built up in th eheel (since that's where the pain is centered) but after reading some of these messages it sounds like its not that great an alternative. One more little problem - I can't use crutches so if I have surgery I will need to be totally of my feet again. Any suggestions?

Re: chronic plantar fasciitis

BrianJ on 7/01/01 at 11:19 (051990)

Hi Lori --

I can understand your frustration, as I've had PF since '97. I would definitely look into ESWT (shock wave therapy) before I considered surgery. Surgery for PF has a relatively low success rate, and quite a few people think it has made them worse.

Your chances of success with either treatment are better if your pain is confined to a small, easily identified area on your foot. If this is the case, the doctor can inject you with cortisone in that area, and it should make the pain go away temporarily. This process is a good way to confirm the source of pain.

Regardless of how painful and frustrating PF is, try to educate yourself thoroughly and perform a sound objective analysis before deciding on any major treatment option.

Good luck.

Susan U on 7/01/01 at 19:20 (052005)

I had the surgery (pf release) on April 11 and I'm doing great. I used a walker and went to a quadcane after only 10 days. I still have some pain when I first get up in the morning, but it goes away after about 8 or so steps. Also, I get a sharp pain if I stand on my feet for a long period of time, but it's 1000 times better than it was! Just thought you'd like to hear a success story. By the way, my dr. had me walking on it right away--non-weight bearing for only one day and then I could do what I wanted to. I had NO cast or brace or anything. Hope this helps.

BrianJ on 7/01/01 at 11:19 (051990)

Hi Lori --

I can understand your frustration, as I've had PF since '97. I would definitely look into ESWT (shock wave therapy) before I considered surgery. Surgery for PF has a relatively low success rate, and quite a few people think it has made them worse.

Your chances of success with either treatment are better if your pain is confined to a small, easily identified area on your foot. If this is the case, the doctor can inject you with cortisone in that area, and it should make the pain go away temporarily. This process is a good way to confirm the source of pain.

Regardless of how painful and frustrating PF is, try to educate yourself thoroughly and perform a sound objective analysis before deciding on any major treatment option.

Good luck.

Susan U on 7/01/01 at 19:20 (052005)

I had the surgery (pf release) on April 11 and I'm doing great. I used a walker and went to a quadcane after only 10 days. I still have some pain when I first get up in the morning, but it goes away after about 8 or so steps. Also, I get a sharp pain if I stand on my feet for a long period of time, but it's 1000 times better than it was! Just thought you'd like to hear a success story. By the way, my dr. had me walking on it right away--non-weight bearing for only one day and then I could do what I wanted to. I had NO cast or brace or anything. Hope this helps.