Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

TO BRIAN: email is disabled... but curious about your EWST exp.

Posted by Bevelry on 7/01/01 at 12:32 (051996)

Brian,

You may have answered my email that you so thoughtfully offered to tell me about your experience with the EWST doc in Dallas. At the moment, I can't access my email. Earthlink has changed the startpage and my password is not working despite being walked through with their technical support on the phone.

So, would you mind telling me what it was like here? What was your post-EWST experience? How do you feel now and how long has it been? How much did it cost? Do you feel better, about the same, or worse? (On the phone, the office staff said about $2000.00 per foot when insurance does not pay, but I'm not sure if they were including the hospital cost or if that was just the doc's fee.) Did you get the impression that he'd done alot of these?
Thanks,
Beverly

Re: TO BRIAN: email is disabled... but curious about your EWST exp.

BrianJ on 7/01/01 at 13:59 (051999)

Hi Beverly --

I'm sorry you didn't receive my previous email, but I'll be glad to re-hash my thoughts:

CAVEAT -- I don't know whether your foot type, PF history and previous treatment are similar to mine, so it may be hard to compare apples to apples. I have moderately high arches, previously played a lot of sports, and have had bilateral PF for 3.5 years. I don't have terrible morning pain (prolonged standing in one place is the worst for me), and the focal point of my pain is the center(not medial side)of the heels just foreward of the calcaneous.

That being said, here are the answers to your questions:

1. Post ESWT -- Had first treatment on April 11th; anesthesia numbness wore off in less than 24 hours; almost no heel pain for first 2 days; pain gradually came back, and is same as before (but not worse); am scheduled for second treatment in early August.

2. Cost of ESWT -- Charge was $3,000 per foot for doctor's fee and Ossatron, plus another approx. $1,200 for anesthesia and outpatient surgery room. Dr.'s office said there would be a 20% discount for self-pay, but now says they will do the second treatment for free if I pay the full $6,000 for the first treatment (please do not quote me on this).

3. Dr. Cook is clearly the most experienced ESWT doctor in Dallas, but he probably has much less experience than others such as Dr. Z. I went to Dr. Cook because the Rangers baseball team send their players to him, and I figure they send their multi-million dollar athletes to the best doctors.

ESWT is kind of like paying a lot of money to join a dating service. If you meet the mate of your dreams, it's a tremendous bargain; if you don't meet anyone attractive or interesting, it's a big waste of time and money.

BOTTOM LINE -- If you've tried everything else except surgery, ESWT is worth a shot (or two, in my case).

Hope this helps.

Beverly on 7/02/01 at 12:34 (052067)

Brian,

Thanks so much for responding. Did you have both feet done at the same time? From what I've read here, it seems that doing one foot at a time is more common. Wow! This is expensive... more than Dr. Z. but maybe not that much difference after accounting for airfare, eating out, renting a car, and a few days in a motel.

I'm eagerly looking forward to trying this. I do think for this much money, a second treatment should be either free or deep discounted.

Thanks,
Beverly

BrianJ on 7/01/01 at 13:59 (051999)

Hi Beverly --

I'm sorry you didn't receive my previous email, but I'll be glad to re-hash my thoughts:

CAVEAT -- I don't know whether your foot type, PF history and previous treatment are similar to mine, so it may be hard to compare apples to apples. I have moderately high arches, previously played a lot of sports, and have had bilateral PF for 3.5 years. I don't have terrible morning pain (prolonged standing in one place is the worst for me), and the focal point of my pain is the center(not medial side)of the heels just foreward of the calcaneous.

That being said, here are the answers to your questions:

1. Post ESWT -- Had first treatment on April 11th; anesthesia numbness wore off in less than 24 hours; almost no heel pain for first 2 days; pain gradually came back, and is same as before (but not worse); am scheduled for second treatment in early August.

2. Cost of ESWT -- Charge was $3,000 per foot for doctor's fee and Ossatron, plus another approx. $1,200 for anesthesia and outpatient surgery room. Dr.'s office said there would be a 20% discount for self-pay, but now says they will do the second treatment for free if I pay the full $6,000 for the first treatment (please do not quote me on this).

3. Dr. Cook is clearly the most experienced ESWT doctor in Dallas, but he probably has much less experience than others such as Dr. Z. I went to Dr. Cook because the Rangers baseball team send their players to him, and I figure they send their multi-million dollar athletes to the best doctors.

ESWT is kind of like paying a lot of money to join a dating service. If you meet the mate of your dreams, it's a tremendous bargain; if you don't meet anyone attractive or interesting, it's a big waste of time and money.

BOTTOM LINE -- If you've tried everything else except surgery, ESWT is worth a shot (or two, in my case).

Hope this helps.

Beverly on 7/02/01 at 12:34 (052067)

Brian,

Thanks so much for responding. Did you have both feet done at the same time? From what I've read here, it seems that doing one foot at a time is more common. Wow! This is expensive... more than Dr. Z. but maybe not that much difference after accounting for airfare, eating out, renting a car, and a few days in a motel.

I'm eagerly looking forward to trying this. I do think for this much money, a second treatment should be either free or deep discounted.

Thanks,
Beverly