Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Chatting / Chat Room

Posted by Stephanie S. on 7/01/01 at 20:08 (052009)

I've noticed a few times this coming up in conversation...just read it again on the heelspurs.com board...about maybe having a chat room. Another idea for 'just talking' for social / support...is signing on with the AIM service through aol.

I did it a while back and have really enjoyed it. It's free...you do not have to be signed with aol. I for instance am with AT&T cable..and am able to use this service.

It's nice to pop on line and see what friends are also on-line at the same time...no matter what time it is. ( Laurie R....you'd love it!). Late at night is the only time I can catch up with my college aged brother. Just a thought...

If anyone else has this service...the aim...my buddy name is BoogGU...drop in anytime to say 'hello'...hope everyone's doing well!

Steph

Re: Chatting / Chat Room

JudyS on 7/01/01 at 21:11 (052010)

A perfect idea, Stephanie! And I agree, Laurie, you'd LOVE it! I signed on just last week at the repeated urgings of some PF buddies and it's a gas.
Just go to aol.com - you don't have to be an AOL subscriber - and follow the directions for signing up for Instant Messaging. Here's a warning though - it took me a good 25 trys to come up with a user name that someone didn't already have! The premise is that your 'buddy' list of folks will be able to tell if you're on the 'net and can pop in on you to say hi in real time. My user name (to add to Steph's in your buddy list) is Judy1B. Now, Mr. John h, our resident sports dude, couldn't figure out the '1B'.....can ya'll? :)

Stephanie S. on 7/01/01 at 23:32 (052022)

Let me take a shot at it....it's 1B because you play first base!!! I'm right aren't I? Teeheheheh.... Hey Judy, we won the sub-district..are now in the final game for Division Champion's....if we win Tuesday nights game...were going to State!! Yippee!!

The great thing about the AIM service is..it's instant..no waiting for email replys..I think that's why I like it so much. Your not limited to having only 1 conversation going...you can have many at the same time or you can open a chat room for whomever you'd like to invite...say a few.

I'm telling ya Laurie R...you'd love this..especially all of you that are up late at night ( like me )...and just want to say 'hello'..give it a try...there's no charge. Any Judy, your right...it took me forever to get my buddy name...one of these days I'll tell you what it stands for....:)

Steph

Laurie R on 7/02/01 at 00:28 (052026)

Hello Stephanie and Judy , Check this out... I just got this a few days ago and used it last night for the first time.. It was wonderful until my computer went nuts.. I keep geeting kicked off line ...... So I am going to look into getting cable tomorrow . I have been waiting to talk to the very nice person I was talking to last night and I had to end due to this PC . I was so mad. It was so much fun while it lasted. You are so right Stephanie it is so cool. I added you and Judy to my buddy list. Of course you both are not on line right now . We will catch each other I am sure. Thank you again ... My screen name is Sicilanmamma1108 ..... You guys know I love to chat...

Laurie R

john h on 7/02/01 at 09:05 (052050)

BooGu i do know that you can chat with several people at the same time although the participants cannot see each others post. There is a new vesion of free Instant Messanger available at several download sites. For those who do not have it go get it. Once you know your friends handle you will be informed anytime they are on line and you can contact them if their Instant Messanger is on (you can control it). Communication with each other is Instant and it works with Netscape,Explorer,AOL,etc. Almost like a phone conversation.

john h on 7/02/01 at 09:15 (052052)

my screen name is JHolt17238. Very original. Had it for 8 years.

JudyS on 7/02/01 at 21:00 (052092)

So John, are you saying that the IM is basically just a two-way street? That is, that we couldn't all be in on the same 'conversation' screen?

Re: Oh please, don't leave us for the chat room!!!!!

Denise D. on 7/03/01 at 00:55 (052106)

Don't switch to the chat rooms and leave us all here just 'talkin' to ourselves and feelin' old.....sometimes I'd like to quit....nothin' ever seems to fit....hangin' around... nothin to do but frown...lazy days and Sundays always get me down'...........Remember that song??????Anyone out there?????????????????

Laurie R on 7/03/01 at 01:18 (052109)

Hi Denise , I would never leave well unless Scott asked me too. This board is number 1 to me. Nothing can take the place of this board..... So don't worry ... How are you doing tonight Denise?? I hope well.Laurie R

Stephanie S. on 7/03/01 at 08:54 (052127)

Denise..don't fret...none of them will leave this board...it's just an extra way to talk...during the day or late at night. Judy, your question...hmm..you can use it both ways. You 'can' chat with several friends or family..seperate chats going on at the same time..and no, the other parties aren't aware of that. Or...you can open a chat room and invite your friends in for chat.

It's kind of neat..John H. and I were messin' around with it yesterday..wishing you, Laurie or some others were on-line ..to see if we could get it to work..but ya'll weren't there.

All of your friends here are way too addicted to heelspurs.com to leave...teeheehheee...don't worry...they'll be here!

Steph

JudyS on 7/03/01 at 10:12 (052131)

Karen Carpenter - I remember it well. What a great talent she was.
I couldn't possibly 'leave' this site...it's been my salvation and the source of, hopefully, lifelong friendships. The IM is just one more way to get a kick out of my computer and stay off my feet! However, I think my hubby is getting worried!

JudyS on 7/03/01 at 10:15 (052133)

Yes, I learned about the seperate window chats when I was on-line with John h the other day and suddenly a new window popped open with a hello from my neighbor! Now there's a whole new talent....holding two conversations at once! We'll have to try the chat room/group thing.

john h on 7/03/01 at 10:19 (052134)

i think there maybe a way to create a 'chat room' but i have never looked into it. will explore today.

john h on 7/03/01 at 10:22 (052135)

my wife has been worried about me for 10 years. before the computer it was golf,fishing,basketball,running, hanging out at the officers club with the guys. she probably prefers the computer.

Nancy N on 7/03/01 at 11:01 (052136)

John, Judy, and I are chatting on AIM, so it does work! But once we've created the chat room, we can't figure out how to invite other people into it. Anybody know?

Laurie R and Angel on 7/03/01 at 12:34 (052138)

Hi everyone this is Angel Laurie R's daughter!I noticed that you guys don't know how to add people to chat on AIM, I do what your trying to do all the time with my friends!What your going to do is when you first log on to AIM you have three buttons at the bottom.Send message,Invite Buddy chat,and connect to talk.Click the middle one 'Invite Buddy Chat' then a little box will pop up and all you have to do from there is enter the screen names you would like to come and chat with you.Then you put what room to go to.The people you select to chat with you will then get a seprate box that will say'So and So' is inviting you to chat in room let's just say 44.Then all they have to do is click the accept button and you'll enter the room in which they have selected.Then have fun and start chatting!
Quick Review:
1.Click 'Invite buddy Chat'
2.Invite your buddy's and type which room to go to
3.For those getting the invite click accept and start chatting!
Have fun and happy chatting!

Nancy n on 7/03/01 at 13:03 (052139)

Thanks, guys (Laurie, you have the most helpful daughter!!) We actually managed that part, but I couldn't figure out how to invite anyone else once the room was created. Judy had an option on her People menu that said 'Invite a buddy' or something like that, but I didn't see anything like that on my copy. I'm on a Mac, I hope that's not the problem, but I'll install it on my parents' PC tonight and see what it looks like on that end.

We had a great time chatting this morning. It's definitely not hard to do!!

janet c. on 7/03/01 at 17:35 (052147)

Hi folks!

I would love to talk with you on AOL's IM, please add my s/n to your Buddy List: janetsuzet. I've managed to get that nickname practically everywhere that I've signed up; Yahoo, ICQ, MSN Messenger, and AOL.

Hope to catch you online!
Best wishes to you all,

Janet

Re: Chatting --A New Discovery!

Nancy N on 7/03/01 at 17:36 (052148)

Hey guys, I am at my parents' place and was checking out the AIM stuff for their computer (though I guess I should be a good daughter before I download and install it!). Anyway, turns out there's a web-based version of AIM called AIM Express. If for some reason you can't (or would prefer not to) download and install the full version, you can access the web version at http://www.aol.com/aim/aimexpress.html and still chat with all the same people you could otherwise. (You can get to this page from AOL.com, too, with a few clicks)

Just thought it might be useful...

Re: AIM - Scott R is scott33AL

Scott R on 7/03/01 at 17:48 (052152)

john h on 7/03/01 at 18:35 (052156)

scott & janet you are now on my list.

john h on 7/03/01 at 18:36 (052157)

you got to be careful in the chat room that the girls do not get off on the girly subjects. i had to on occasion get them back on track.

john h on 7/03/01 at 18:37 (052158)

i get the sicilianmama but what is the 1108?

lenore r on 7/03/01 at 18:48 (052160)

i know i dont post very often but i do read boards daily. love the idea of chatting one to one or in a room my screen name is drlrtiger. i have put everyone on my buddy list under feet friends!! hope to see you all on line son,, lenore

Re: Thank You Angel!

janet c. on 7/03/01 at 19:11 (052161)

Dear Angel,

You really are a Godsend. Thank you so much for giving your time to explain to us how to set up a private chat room among friends. Your instructions are clear, distinct, well-written, and easy to comprehend. Thank you so much for helping your mother and her friends.

Bless your sweet heart,

Janet

Laurie R on 7/03/01 at 23:17 (052170)

Hi John, it is my wedding date.....

john h on 7/04/01 at 11:26 (052210)

yall got to remember to 'Sign On' when you start up your computer or we cannot contact you. Two years i was in a baseball chat room complaing about the coach of the Chicago Cubs. I became a little concerned when i noticed that one of the frequent participants had the same last name as the coach. Finally, one day i asked him if he was related and it was 'his brother'. a lot of you have these really cool names like sicilianmama so i guess i will have to find something more cool than JHOLT17238. By the way before you ask nen or judy1b the 17238 is meaningless it was assigned to me. no underlying currents here. julie we need someone from europe to participate so download IM.

Paula A on 7/04/01 at 15:07 (052226)

AIM is fun..I just signed up a little whole ago and already chatted
with Laurie R and Lenore..I am using the AIM express since I can't
download anything to this computer..

It's nice to have this option for chit chatting with each other..

Paula A

john h on 7/05/01 at 08:34 (052268)

my chat room buddy list is growing by leaps and bounds. problem is the screen name is sometimes not very close to the name on heelspurs so when i get a message from someone i feel like an idiot. i have yet to see the master computer Guru scott on line.

Richard, C.Ped on 7/05/01 at 12:51 (052292)

Good idea about AIM. I don't use AOL, but I downloaded AIM to 'talk' with my mother and others at times. My screen name is 'metatarsalgia'
Richard

Re: Chatting / Chat RoomI finally got it to!!! Sparklingeyesx2

Tammie on 7/07/01 at 08:55 (052397)

LOL the daughter helped her illiterate computer mom get aol to and a name lol she is so funny ! Hope to soon get to say hi to some friends here!

JudyS on 7/01/01 at 21:11 (052010)

A perfect idea, Stephanie! And I agree, Laurie, you'd LOVE it! I signed on just last week at the repeated urgings of some PF buddies and it's a gas.
Just go to aol.com - you don't have to be an AOL subscriber - and follow the directions for signing up for Instant Messaging. Here's a warning though - it took me a good 25 trys to come up with a user name that someone didn't already have! The premise is that your 'buddy' list of folks will be able to tell if you're on the 'net and can pop in on you to say hi in real time. My user name (to add to Steph's in your buddy list) is Judy1B. Now, Mr. John h, our resident sports dude, couldn't figure out the '1B'.....can ya'll? :)

Stephanie S. on 7/01/01 at 23:32 (052022)

Let me take a shot at it....it's 1B because you play first base!!! I'm right aren't I? Teeheheheh.... Hey Judy, we won the sub-district..are now in the final game for Division Champion's....if we win Tuesday nights game...were going to State!! Yippee!!

The great thing about the AIM service is..it's instant..no waiting for email replys..I think that's why I like it so much. Your not limited to having only 1 conversation going...you can have many at the same time or you can open a chat room for whomever you'd like to invite...say a few.

I'm telling ya Laurie R...you'd love this..especially all of you that are up late at night ( like me )...and just want to say 'hello'..give it a try...there's no charge. Any Judy, your right...it took me forever to get my buddy name...one of these days I'll tell you what it stands for....:)

Steph

Laurie R on 7/02/01 at 00:28 (052026)

Hello Stephanie and Judy , Check this out... I just got this a few days ago and used it last night for the first time.. It was wonderful until my computer went nuts.. I keep geeting kicked off line ...... So I am going to look into getting cable tomorrow . I have been waiting to talk to the very nice person I was talking to last night and I had to end due to this PC . I was so mad. It was so much fun while it lasted. You are so right Stephanie it is so cool. I added you and Judy to my buddy list. Of course you both are not on line right now . We will catch each other I am sure. Thank you again ... My screen name is Sicilanmamma1108 ..... You guys know I love to chat...

Laurie R

john h on 7/02/01 at 09:05 (052050)

BooGu i do know that you can chat with several people at the same time although the participants cannot see each others post. There is a new vesion of free Instant Messanger available at several download sites. For those who do not have it go get it. Once you know your friends handle you will be informed anytime they are on line and you can contact them if their Instant Messanger is on (you can control it). Communication with each other is Instant and it works with Netscape,Explorer,AOL,etc. Almost like a phone conversation.

john h on 7/02/01 at 09:15 (052052)

my screen name is JHolt17238. Very original. Had it for 8 years.

JudyS on 7/02/01 at 21:00 (052092)

So John, are you saying that the IM is basically just a two-way street? That is, that we couldn't all be in on the same 'conversation' screen?

Denise D. on 7/03/01 at 00:55 (052106)

Don't switch to the chat rooms and leave us all here just 'talkin' to ourselves and feelin' old.....sometimes I'd like to quit....nothin' ever seems to fit....hangin' around... nothin to do but frown...lazy days and Sundays always get me down'...........Remember that song??????Anyone out there?????????????????

Laurie R on 7/03/01 at 01:18 (052109)

Hi Denise , I would never leave well unless Scott asked me too. This board is number 1 to me. Nothing can take the place of this board..... So don't worry ... How are you doing tonight Denise?? I hope well.Laurie R

Stephanie S. on 7/03/01 at 08:54 (052127)

Denise..don't fret...none of them will leave this board...it's just an extra way to talk...during the day or late at night. Judy, your question...hmm..you can use it both ways. You 'can' chat with several friends or family..seperate chats going on at the same time..and no, the other parties aren't aware of that. Or...you can open a chat room and invite your friends in for chat.

It's kind of neat..John H. and I were messin' around with it yesterday..wishing you, Laurie or some others were on-line ..to see if we could get it to work..but ya'll weren't there.

All of your friends here are way too addicted to heelspurs.com to leave...teeheehheee...don't worry...they'll be here!

Steph

JudyS on 7/03/01 at 10:12 (052131)

Karen Carpenter - I remember it well. What a great talent she was.
I couldn't possibly 'leave' this site...it's been my salvation and the source of, hopefully, lifelong friendships. The IM is just one more way to get a kick out of my computer and stay off my feet! However, I think my hubby is getting worried!

JudyS on 7/03/01 at 10:15 (052133)

Yes, I learned about the seperate window chats when I was on-line with John h the other day and suddenly a new window popped open with a hello from my neighbor! Now there's a whole new talent....holding two conversations at once! We'll have to try the chat room/group thing.

john h on 7/03/01 at 10:19 (052134)

i think there maybe a way to create a 'chat room' but i have never looked into it. will explore today.

john h on 7/03/01 at 10:22 (052135)

my wife has been worried about me for 10 years. before the computer it was golf,fishing,basketball,running, hanging out at the officers club with the guys. she probably prefers the computer.

Nancy N on 7/03/01 at 11:01 (052136)

John, Judy, and I are chatting on AIM, so it does work! But once we've created the chat room, we can't figure out how to invite other people into it. Anybody know?

Laurie R and Angel on 7/03/01 at 12:34 (052138)

Hi everyone this is Angel Laurie R's daughter!I noticed that you guys don't know how to add people to chat on AIM, I do what your trying to do all the time with my friends!What your going to do is when you first log on to AIM you have three buttons at the bottom.Send message,Invite Buddy chat,and connect to talk.Click the middle one 'Invite Buddy Chat' then a little box will pop up and all you have to do from there is enter the screen names you would like to come and chat with you.Then you put what room to go to.The people you select to chat with you will then get a seprate box that will say'So and So' is inviting you to chat in room let's just say 44.Then all they have to do is click the accept button and you'll enter the room in which they have selected.Then have fun and start chatting!
Quick Review:
1.Click 'Invite buddy Chat'
2.Invite your buddy's and type which room to go to
3.For those getting the invite click accept and start chatting!
Have fun and happy chatting!

Nancy n on 7/03/01 at 13:03 (052139)

Thanks, guys (Laurie, you have the most helpful daughter!!) We actually managed that part, but I couldn't figure out how to invite anyone else once the room was created. Judy had an option on her People menu that said 'Invite a buddy' or something like that, but I didn't see anything like that on my copy. I'm on a Mac, I hope that's not the problem, but I'll install it on my parents' PC tonight and see what it looks like on that end.

We had a great time chatting this morning. It's definitely not hard to do!!

janet c. on 7/03/01 at 17:35 (052147)

Hi folks!

I would love to talk with you on AOL's IM, please add my s/n to your Buddy List: janetsuzet. I've managed to get that nickname practically everywhere that I've signed up; Yahoo, ICQ, MSN Messenger, and AOL.

Hope to catch you online!
Best wishes to you all,

Janet

Re: Chatting --A New Discovery!

Nancy N on 7/03/01 at 17:36 (052148)

Hey guys, I am at my parents' place and was checking out the AIM stuff for their computer (though I guess I should be a good daughter before I download and install it!). Anyway, turns out there's a web-based version of AIM called AIM Express. If for some reason you can't (or would prefer not to) download and install the full version, you can access the web version at http://www.aol.com/aim/aimexpress.html and still chat with all the same people you could otherwise. (You can get to this page from AOL.com, too, with a few clicks)

Just thought it might be useful...

Re: AIM - Scott R is scott33AL

Scott R on 7/03/01 at 17:48 (052152)

john h on 7/03/01 at 18:35 (052156)

scott & janet you are now on my list.

john h on 7/03/01 at 18:36 (052157)

you got to be careful in the chat room that the girls do not get off on the girly subjects. i had to on occasion get them back on track.

john h on 7/03/01 at 18:37 (052158)

i get the sicilianmama but what is the 1108?

lenore r on 7/03/01 at 18:48 (052160)

i know i dont post very often but i do read boards daily. love the idea of chatting one to one or in a room my screen name is drlrtiger. i have put everyone on my buddy list under feet friends!! hope to see you all on line son,, lenore

Re: Thank You Angel!

janet c. on 7/03/01 at 19:11 (052161)

Dear Angel,

You really are a Godsend. Thank you so much for giving your time to explain to us how to set up a private chat room among friends. Your instructions are clear, distinct, well-written, and easy to comprehend. Thank you so much for helping your mother and her friends.

Bless your sweet heart,

Janet

Laurie R on 7/03/01 at 23:17 (052170)

Hi John, it is my wedding date.....

john h on 7/04/01 at 11:26 (052210)

yall got to remember to 'Sign On' when you start up your computer or we cannot contact you. Two years i was in a baseball chat room complaing about the coach of the Chicago Cubs. I became a little concerned when i noticed that one of the frequent participants had the same last name as the coach. Finally, one day i asked him if he was related and it was 'his brother'. a lot of you have these really cool names like sicilianmama so i guess i will have to find something more cool than JHOLT17238. By the way before you ask nen or judy1b the 17238 is meaningless it was assigned to me. no underlying currents here. julie we need someone from europe to participate so download IM.

Paula A on 7/04/01 at 15:07 (052226)

AIM is fun..I just signed up a little whole ago and already chatted
with Laurie R and Lenore..I am using the AIM express since I can't
download anything to this computer..

It's nice to have this option for chit chatting with each other..

Paula A

john h on 7/05/01 at 08:34 (052268)

my chat room buddy list is growing by leaps and bounds. problem is the screen name is sometimes not very close to the name on heelspurs so when i get a message from someone i feel like an idiot. i have yet to see the master computer Guru scott on line.

Richard, C.Ped on 7/05/01 at 12:51 (052292)

Good idea about AIM. I don't use AOL, but I downloaded AIM to 'talk' with my mother and others at times. My screen name is 'metatarsalgia'
Richard

Re: Chatting / Chat RoomI finally got it to!!! Sparklingeyesx2

Tammie on 7/07/01 at 08:55 (052397)

LOL the daughter helped her illiterate computer mom get aol to and a name lol she is so funny ! Hope to soon get to say hi to some friends here!