Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

just a note to say hello

Posted by ellen w on 7/02/01 at 09:18 (052053)

Thought I'd post a note on how I'm doing--the good news is that the foot that was giving me so much trouble when I found this board (it's the one with metal implants, on which I had AT and retrocalcaneal bursitis)is all but healed, just some residual stiffness in the mornings that I can work out with nonweight-bearing stretching exercises (thank you Julie!). The bad news is that on Friday my doctor officially diagnosed the problems I've been having on my right foot as PF. So far it's not too bad -- pains that come and go when I first attempt a strong walking stride, some days almost none at all though other days sharp and stabbing -- but it's frustrating, given all the work I've done to heal my left leg that the right has gone out. This seems to be my pattern, however. Everytime I've had a problem affecting my left leg and get it healed, my right leg follows suit, though usually not as terribly. My doc gave me a prescription for anti-inflammatories, a heel cup, and referred me to the in-house (I work for an academic medical center) physical therapist for a stretching routine. I thought, 'what the heck -- good to have a comparison to what the pt I've used throughout this process has recommended.' I was shown 3 stretches -- all of them weightbearing. 2 I knew, and the pt did help me with better technique, but one was the dreaded heels off the stair stretch. Thnks to this board, I know better than to do that one!, and will insist on a referral to my regular pt the next time I see my doc. The lesson from this is, not all physical therapists are the same, and you really have to find one that you like and trust. One other note that may be of interest -- I have now been off of carbonated sodas for 30 days. It hasn't been the answer to my heel pain, but I have noticed a marked decrease in swelling in my ankles and feet, and almost no incidents of throbbing pain at night because of inflammed, misshapen feet. So though difficult for my fellow diet coke addicts (I was downing close to a full 2 liter bottle a day), this is something I'd recommend.
ellen

Re: diet sodas

Julie on 7/02/01 at 10:10 (052061)

Ellen, congratulations on weaning yourself off diet sodas. It must bevery difficult! I've just read, in an extremely interesting book called 'Your Body's Many Cries for Water' by Dr. F. Batmanghelidj, that diet sodas are addictive because of the caffeine they contain. You - and others, especially those who use diet sodas as part of a weight-losing programme - may be interested in what he says:

'Caffeine, one of the main components of most sodas, is a drug. It has addictive properties because of its direct action on the brain. It also acts on the kidneys and causes increased urine production. Caffeine has diuretic properties. It is, physiologically, a dehydrating agent. This characteristic is the main reason a person is forced to drink so many cans of soda every day and never be satisfied. The water does not stay in the body long enough. At the same time, many people confuse their feelings of thirst for water: thinking they have consumed enough ''water' that is in the soda, they assume they are hungry and begin to eat more than their body's need for food. Thus, dehydration caused by caffeine-containing sodas will, in due time, cause a gradual gain in weight from overeating as a direct result of confusion of thirst and hunger sensations.'

I acquired the book to find out more about why it's important to drink enough water, something I have always found very difficult, and am finding it fascinating and illuminating.

ellen on 7/02/01 at 10:37 (052063)

Hi Julie -- it wasn't as difficult as I thought -- I just decided to do it 'cold turkey' which is easier for me than a gradual weaning off process. I do find that I need a cup of coffee or tea in morning to stave off a caffeine headache, and sometimes one in the afternoon. But the description from your book sounds like me -- plus to some degree, a habit. My apartment has views of the Hudson River, and I like to sit by the windows and read and watch the boats go by, while (formerly) sipping a soda. Now I sip water or the not quite as good option of Crystal Light, if i'm feeling like I need something with flavor.
ellen

Lori E. on 7/02/01 at 22:53 (052102)

I have a suggestion for something with more flavor than water. You could add a little lemon to you water, or you could drink decaf hot or iced tea.
I have weaned myself off of carbonated lemon water due to the possibility that the carbonation could be contributing to my PF problems. Diet definately have a role in recovering from PF. Good luck.

Julie on 7/03/01 at 03:19 (052119)

Ellen, where do you live? My parents had a 14th floor co-op apartment on 24th between 8th and 9th with a wonderful view of the Hudson - I used to love it when I visited them (they both died in the early 80s and my last visit was in 1983). It was especially lovely at sunset and your description reminded me of it - thanks.

ellen w on 7/03/01 at 08:53 (052126)

I live downtown, by City Hall on Duane Street, in a little studio in a big highrise, and I feel very fortunate -- I moved into this building in the early 90s, when rental prices were on the low side. I'm up high enough (31 floors up) that I have a great view and get wonderful sunsets -- Monday's was actually one of the best I've seen...fingers of red against low moving purple clouds. Sitting in my apartment with the lights/tv/radio off and watching the sunset has become one of life's simple but satisfying pleasures.
ellen

Re: Beautiful Sunsets

Denise D. on 7/04/01 at 02:00 (052179)

Hi Ellen,
Well if watching those beautiful sunsets doesn't heal the foot, it sure does wonders for the soul, doesn't it?
I have a farm in the country, it sits high on a hill overlooking the vast farm/ranch land in Texas, every evening I sit in my favorite rocking chair on the back porch and watch the sunset. That's my most favorite time of the day, when I can 'wind-down', the only sound comes from the cows in the pasture and the birds as they make their final dusk-time calls. Sometimes I sit out late at night, listening to the coyotes in the distance and stare at the sky, and my how the stars are big and bright! One night I counted 18 falling stars. Some think I'm a little crazy for sitting and looking at the nighttime sky, but it sure brings me peace and tranquility in this fast-paced world.
Who needs TV anyway, when the greatest show on earth is happening right outside your window!!!
All the best to you,
Denise D.

Re: More beautiful Sunsets

Julie on 7/04/01 at 05:41 (052189)

Denise and Ellen, I've so enjoyed your sunsets! What a contrast! The 31st floor of a NY apartment and a farm deep in the heart of Texas! What a wide-spread group this is.

We live in a house in Greenwich, SE London, high on a hill overlooking the Thames River, which we can see from our bedroom window. The sunsets, when there is sun, and particularly when there is sun AND clouds, are wonderful - the sky is huge, nothing between us and the whole of the London skyline miles away, and the colours that fill it as the sun sinks behind St Paul's Cathedral, are incredible.

More sunsets, folks?

ellen w on 7/05/01 at 09:12 (052271)

Hi Denise, Hi Julie, and all my other friends:
What a pleasure it was to read the posts today! I loved all the vignettes of where people live, and what they find special about it. Though I've traveled all through Central America and a bit of South America, I've done very little travel in this country -- Denise, your description of Texas made me want to hop on the next plane. And London -- only spent a few nights there, but loved it.
ellen

Julie on 7/02/01 at 10:10 (052061)

Ellen, congratulations on weaning yourself off diet sodas. It must bevery difficult! I've just read, in an extremely interesting book called 'Your Body's Many Cries for Water' by Dr. F. Batmanghelidj, that diet sodas are addictive because of the caffeine they contain. You - and others, especially those who use diet sodas as part of a weight-losing programme - may be interested in what he says:

'Caffeine, one of the main components of most sodas, is a drug. It has addictive properties because of its direct action on the brain. It also acts on the kidneys and causes increased urine production. Caffeine has diuretic properties. It is, physiologically, a dehydrating agent. This characteristic is the main reason a person is forced to drink so many cans of soda every day and never be satisfied. The water does not stay in the body long enough. At the same time, many people confuse their feelings of thirst for water: thinking they have consumed enough ''water' that is in the soda, they assume they are hungry and begin to eat more than their body's need for food. Thus, dehydration caused by caffeine-containing sodas will, in due time, cause a gradual gain in weight from overeating as a direct result of confusion of thirst and hunger sensations.'

I acquired the book to find out more about why it's important to drink enough water, something I have always found very difficult, and am finding it fascinating and illuminating.

ellen on 7/02/01 at 10:37 (052063)

Hi Julie -- it wasn't as difficult as I thought -- I just decided to do it 'cold turkey' which is easier for me than a gradual weaning off process. I do find that I need a cup of coffee or tea in morning to stave off a caffeine headache, and sometimes one in the afternoon. But the description from your book sounds like me -- plus to some degree, a habit. My apartment has views of the Hudson River, and I like to sit by the windows and read and watch the boats go by, while (formerly) sipping a soda. Now I sip water or the not quite as good option of Crystal Light, if i'm feeling like I need something with flavor.
ellen

Lori E. on 7/02/01 at 22:53 (052102)

I have a suggestion for something with more flavor than water. You could add a little lemon to you water, or you could drink decaf hot or iced tea.
I have weaned myself off of carbonated lemon water due to the possibility that the carbonation could be contributing to my PF problems. Diet definately have a role in recovering from PF. Good luck.

Julie on 7/03/01 at 03:19 (052119)

Ellen, where do you live? My parents had a 14th floor co-op apartment on 24th between 8th and 9th with a wonderful view of the Hudson - I used to love it when I visited them (they both died in the early 80s and my last visit was in 1983). It was especially lovely at sunset and your description reminded me of it - thanks.

ellen w on 7/03/01 at 08:53 (052126)

I live downtown, by City Hall on Duane Street, in a little studio in a big highrise, and I feel very fortunate -- I moved into this building in the early 90s, when rental prices were on the low side. I'm up high enough (31 floors up) that I have a great view and get wonderful sunsets -- Monday's was actually one of the best I've seen...fingers of red against low moving purple clouds. Sitting in my apartment with the lights/tv/radio off and watching the sunset has become one of life's simple but satisfying pleasures.
ellen

Re: Beautiful Sunsets

Denise D. on 7/04/01 at 02:00 (052179)

Hi Ellen,
Well if watching those beautiful sunsets doesn't heal the foot, it sure does wonders for the soul, doesn't it?
I have a farm in the country, it sits high on a hill overlooking the vast farm/ranch land in Texas, every evening I sit in my favorite rocking chair on the back porch and watch the sunset. That's my most favorite time of the day, when I can 'wind-down', the only sound comes from the cows in the pasture and the birds as they make their final dusk-time calls. Sometimes I sit out late at night, listening to the coyotes in the distance and stare at the sky, and my how the stars are big and bright! One night I counted 18 falling stars. Some think I'm a little crazy for sitting and looking at the nighttime sky, but it sure brings me peace and tranquility in this fast-paced world.
Who needs TV anyway, when the greatest show on earth is happening right outside your window!!!
All the best to you,
Denise D.

Julie on 7/04/01 at 05:41 (052189)

Denise and Ellen, I've so enjoyed your sunsets! What a contrast! The 31st floor of a NY apartment and a farm deep in the heart of Texas! What a wide-spread group this is.

We live in a house in Greenwich, SE London, high on a hill overlooking the Thames River, which we can see from our bedroom window. The sunsets, when there is sun, and particularly when there is sun AND clouds, are wonderful - the sky is huge, nothing between us and the whole of the London skyline miles away, and the colours that fill it as the sun sinks behind St Paul's Cathedral, are incredible.

More sunsets, folks?

ellen w on 7/05/01 at 09:12 (052271)

Hi Denise, Hi Julie, and all my other friends:
What a pleasure it was to read the posts today! I loved all the vignettes of where people live, and what they find special about it. Though I've traveled all through Central America and a bit of South America, I've done very little travel in this country -- Denise, your description of Texas made me want to hop on the next plane. And London -- only spent a few nights there, but loved it.
ellen