Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Dressing, swimming and life

Posted by Rick on 7/03/01 at hrmin (052116)

Hi
I'm 5 weeks post TTS op with a wound that is healing slowly and still in need of a dressing. Can the 'experienced' among you recall how long it was before your wound was sufficiently healed for you to go dressing-less? And at what point were you able to freely engage in water-based sports such as showering and, if it yourinterest, swimming?
As for life ....
Thanks
Rick

Re: Dressing, swimming and life

Andrea R. on 7/03/01 at 08:06 (052120)

Rick,

Five weeks does seem like a long time. Do you do any foot massage? It helps improve the circulation which helps with healing.

For a bandage try the Band-Aid Advance Healing Bandages. You leave them on for a few days and they are suppose to work like a scab. The great thing is they are waterproof. You can shower or swim and they are really waterproof. I used them so I could get back in the hot tub before the incision was completely healed. If you are still using conventional bandages use antibiotic ointment which also seems to help with healing.

My wound was healed by four weeks. I just used a bandage as a cushion with shoes. Once it is healed, start using vitamin E oil and massaging the incision site.

Hope this helps,

Andrea

GinaC on 7/03/01 at 08:46 (052125)

I had stitches removed 2 weeks after surgery, wore a steri-strip on the incision for a few days after that. So, I was back to swimming the 3rd week after surgery, but I'll warn you: the incision hurt when kicking for the first few weeks. My doctor told me I could go back to swimming as soon as the stitches were out; the nurse advised a few days with the steri-strip bandage. Hope your incision is healed soon. Gina

Rick on 7/03/01 at 17:48 (052151)

Thank you for the information and suggestions.
Originally my stitches burst and had to be re-done two days later. But it is 5 weeks today since that date.
I'm using betadine swabs, left on the wound, covered by Hansaplast hypoallergenic adhesive dressings. These are not waterproof but I did once use, a few days back, a waterproof film over the dressing. This proved not to be as adhesive as I had anticipated and lifted in one corner allowing water in. Probably my fault in the way I placed it on in the first place.
The wound itself is still quite wide. When your scabs formed what sort of size were they please?
I can walk around OK but with a very stiff ankle. Tend to keep the weight on the whole flat section of the foot. There is no pain or throbbing when the foot is elevated but still some localised pain [not intense at all] around the would when my foot is not elevated or horizontal.
No, I haven't tried massage. I thought that others were doing this to the wound site after healig. I'll now get into whole foot massage as suggested. Will also see if I can get the Band-aid Advance Waterproof Dressing here in Australia. Is this the correct name for the product please? I did a quick web search and got a 'No results' outcome.
I gather it's not good to get an unhealed wound wet but I am anxious to get into some exercise. Any other suggestions welcome. May not, however, be able to manage the Perth Marathon this coming weekend!
With thanks
Rick

Re: scabs/massage

GinaC on 7/03/01 at 21:12 (052163)

Hi Rick,
I never did have any scabs form on my incision. From the time the bandages were removed two weeks after surgery, I had a closed incision line with some small dots (which disappeared) where the stitches were removed. Have you contacted your surgeon as to how long he thinks incision healing will take? If it were me, I would call the surgeon.
While I was told to massage my heel right after stitches/bandages were removed, I was cautioned NOT to massage the incision line until 2 weeks had passed from the time stitches were removed. Massaging the incision needs to wait until the line is really tightly together and fully healed.
I think that the problem with swimming with an open incision is that there could be bacteria in the water that could enter an incision opening and cause infection (in spite of chlorine in the water).
Take care. Gina

wendyn on 7/03/01 at 22:36 (052165)

Rick - I agree with the idea of not getting the wound wet - especially in pool water where you could pick up who knows what.

5 weeks sounds like a long time for the wound to heal...is your circulation to your foot impaired in any way (do you have any other health problems?)

Rick on 7/04/01 at 04:27 (052183)

Thank you all. When my wound was re-stitched [and I had a haematoma at that time] it was not possible to 'draw' the skin completely together. Hence there is a gap that perhaps is extending the healing time. Does 'everyone' end up with a nice neat scar line I wonder?
Healing is occurring however. The length of wound remaining to heal is about 2 inches.
I don't have any other health problems, such as diabetes, although I am overweight and probably put too much weight and stress on my foot too early in the recovery period.
The surgeon, experienced in TT surgery, seems happy with the progess. He probably needs a more patient patient.
With thanks
Rick

Andrea R. on 7/09/01 at 06:59 (052525)

Rick,

Sorry it took so long to get back to you. The name on the box is

Band-Aid Advance Healing Bandages. They are made by Johnson and Johnson. You might find them by searching the products of an online store that sells adhesive bandages.

I tried something called a 'Waterproof' Band-Aid and they weren't. Another idea is to check with a Pharmacist. There is a waterproof covering that my PT recommended so I could use the hot tub but I can't remember the name of it.

I do have a nice neat scar line with four dots on each side. I was not weight bearing for the first 2 1/2 weeks after surgery.

Best of luck,

Andrea

Andrea R. on 7/03/01 at 08:06 (052120)

Rick,

Five weeks does seem like a long time. Do you do any foot massage? It helps improve the circulation which helps with healing.

For a bandage try the Band-Aid Advance Healing Bandages. You leave them on for a few days and they are suppose to work like a scab. The great thing is they are waterproof. You can shower or swim and they are really waterproof. I used them so I could get back in the hot tub before the incision was completely healed. If you are still using conventional bandages use antibiotic ointment which also seems to help with healing.

My wound was healed by four weeks. I just used a bandage as a cushion with shoes. Once it is healed, start using vitamin E oil and massaging the incision site.

Hope this helps,

Andrea

GinaC on 7/03/01 at 08:46 (052125)

I had stitches removed 2 weeks after surgery, wore a steri-strip on the incision for a few days after that. So, I was back to swimming the 3rd week after surgery, but I'll warn you: the incision hurt when kicking for the first few weeks. My doctor told me I could go back to swimming as soon as the stitches were out; the nurse advised a few days with the steri-strip bandage. Hope your incision is healed soon. Gina

Rick on 7/03/01 at 17:48 (052151)

Thank you for the information and suggestions.
Originally my stitches burst and had to be re-done two days later. But it is 5 weeks today since that date.
I'm using betadine swabs, left on the wound, covered by Hansaplast hypoallergenic adhesive dressings. These are not waterproof but I did once use, a few days back, a waterproof film over the dressing. This proved not to be as adhesive as I had anticipated and lifted in one corner allowing water in. Probably my fault in the way I placed it on in the first place.
The wound itself is still quite wide. When your scabs formed what sort of size were they please?
I can walk around OK but with a very stiff ankle. Tend to keep the weight on the whole flat section of the foot. There is no pain or throbbing when the foot is elevated but still some localised pain [not intense at all] around the would when my foot is not elevated or horizontal.
No, I haven't tried massage. I thought that others were doing this to the wound site after healig. I'll now get into whole foot massage as suggested. Will also see if I can get the Band-aid Advance Waterproof Dressing here in Australia. Is this the correct name for the product please? I did a quick web search and got a 'No results' outcome.
I gather it's not good to get an unhealed wound wet but I am anxious to get into some exercise. Any other suggestions welcome. May not, however, be able to manage the Perth Marathon this coming weekend!
With thanks
Rick

Re: scabs/massage

GinaC on 7/03/01 at 21:12 (052163)

Hi Rick,
I never did have any scabs form on my incision. From the time the bandages were removed two weeks after surgery, I had a closed incision line with some small dots (which disappeared) where the stitches were removed. Have you contacted your surgeon as to how long he thinks incision healing will take? If it were me, I would call the surgeon.
While I was told to massage my heel right after stitches/bandages were removed, I was cautioned NOT to massage the incision line until 2 weeks had passed from the time stitches were removed. Massaging the incision needs to wait until the line is really tightly together and fully healed.
I think that the problem with swimming with an open incision is that there could be bacteria in the water that could enter an incision opening and cause infection (in spite of chlorine in the water).
Take care. Gina

wendyn on 7/03/01 at 22:36 (052165)

Rick - I agree with the idea of not getting the wound wet - especially in pool water where you could pick up who knows what.

5 weeks sounds like a long time for the wound to heal...is your circulation to your foot impaired in any way (do you have any other health problems?)

Rick on 7/04/01 at 04:27 (052183)

Thank you all. When my wound was re-stitched [and I had a haematoma at that time] it was not possible to 'draw' the skin completely together. Hence there is a gap that perhaps is extending the healing time. Does 'everyone' end up with a nice neat scar line I wonder?
Healing is occurring however. The length of wound remaining to heal is about 2 inches.
I don't have any other health problems, such as diabetes, although I am overweight and probably put too much weight and stress on my foot too early in the recovery period.
The surgeon, experienced in TT surgery, seems happy with the progess. He probably needs a more patient patient.
With thanks
Rick

Andrea R. on 7/09/01 at 06:59 (052525)

Rick,

Sorry it took so long to get back to you. The name on the box is

Band-Aid Advance Healing Bandages. They are made by Johnson and Johnson. You might find them by searching the products of an online store that sells adhesive bandages.

I tried something called a 'Waterproof' Band-Aid and they weren't. Another idea is to check with a Pharmacist. There is a waterproof covering that my PT recommended so I could use the hot tub but I can't remember the name of it.

I do have a nice neat scar line with four dots on each side. I was not weight bearing for the first 2 1/2 weeks after surgery.

Best of luck,

Andrea