Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Diabetic-special treatments

Posted by Megan A on 7/03/01 at 22:53 (052169)

Dear Doctors,

Are there special precausions to take with you do foot surgery? I ask because I am planning on partial planter release in 2 weeks. My doctor has not said anything about me being diabetic nor have they done any pre-op tests. Isn't it true that when you are diabetic taking care of your feet very important. I heard that diabetics should never cut their own toe nails. I need as much info as possible because I may not have the surgery if there is a possibility of trouble. Thank-you

Re: Diabetic-special treatments

wendyn on 7/04/01 at 13:59 (052223)

Meagan (I am not a doctor, just a patient) - do be very careful. It is true the diabetic's have to be espcially careful with their feet - they can have impaired circulation which may mean a slower healing rate, less feeling etc. Have you had diabetes for a long time?

I'm very surprised your doctor hasn't talked to you about this. Does he know you're diabetic?

I would also suggest you may want to have nerve conduction testing done.

Sometimes diabetics can get neuropathy which can cause foot pain. Neuropathy can't be fixed by a PF release - so I'd definately want that ruled out before going under the knife.

Have you had a second opinion? A second opinion before surgery is always a good idea.

Please let us know how you do!

Megan on 7/04/01 at 17:55 (052232)

Wendyn,
Just found out 1 month ago. I know you must be careful when you have foot surgery. I know some one who had foot surgery partial PF and she did'nt know she was diabetic and she had 2 surgeries by different doctors and they never did blood work or any tests before surgery and she is still not better and it's been 13 months from the first surgery. She just found out she is type 2 diabetic too. She is looking into a lawsuit. What is your input? Should I have surgery?

wendyn on 7/04/01 at 19:49 (052239)

Megan that's really not a question I can answer for you - that's why a second opinion from another doctor is so important. I can tell you there's no rush - and I would take my time to make sure I made the right decision.

When you were diagnosed - did they send you anywhere for education on handling your diabetes? Maybe someone there can give some advice.

With it being an American holiday - I think all the doctors are away - I will be interested to see how they respond to your question.

Fred S on 7/14/01 at hrmin (053103)

I was diagnosed with diabetes last August. (I'm 62 years old.) The first thing my doctor did was send me to a class at our local hospital which instructs diabetics on proper diet and exercise. As a result of following their advice, I have been able to lose over 25 lbs, (I'm 5'10' and weigh 169 now.) and control my diabetes without medication. A vital element of controlling diabetes is monitoring your blood glucose level frequently and adjusting your diet accordingly.

I mention the above because I am astonished that your doctor apparently has done nothing to help deal with your diabetes yet. If you are going to have an operation you must inform the medical staff that you have diabetes. They will likely ask you if you have diabetes during the workup, as it will affect your treatment. For one thing, you won't get glucose via an IV, which is the last thing a diabetic needs. They will also monitor your blood glucose level as trauma and illnesses often raise your blood glucose level to unacceptable levels and provide you with a good diet.

If you have any specific questions, feel free to e-mail me. In the meantime, I hope you get educated and perhaps join a diabetes support group. Diabetes can be controlled once you understand it. I highly recommend the American Diabetic Association web site. It's full of excellent information.

wendyn on 7/04/01 at 13:59 (052223)

Meagan (I am not a doctor, just a patient) - do be very careful. It is true the diabetic's have to be espcially careful with their feet - they can have impaired circulation which may mean a slower healing rate, less feeling etc. Have you had diabetes for a long time?

I'm very surprised your doctor hasn't talked to you about this. Does he know you're diabetic?

I would also suggest you may want to have nerve conduction testing done.

Sometimes diabetics can get neuropathy which can cause foot pain. Neuropathy can't be fixed by a PF release - so I'd definately want that ruled out before going under the knife.

Have you had a second opinion? A second opinion before surgery is always a good idea.

Please let us know how you do!

Megan on 7/04/01 at 17:55 (052232)

Wendyn,
Just found out 1 month ago. I know you must be careful when you have foot surgery. I know some one who had foot surgery partial PF and she did'nt know she was diabetic and she had 2 surgeries by different doctors and they never did blood work or any tests before surgery and she is still not better and it's been 13 months from the first surgery. She just found out she is type 2 diabetic too. She is looking into a lawsuit. What is your input? Should I have surgery?

wendyn on 7/04/01 at 19:49 (052239)

Megan that's really not a question I can answer for you - that's why a second opinion from another doctor is so important. I can tell you there's no rush - and I would take my time to make sure I made the right decision.

When you were diagnosed - did they send you anywhere for education on handling your diabetes? Maybe someone there can give some advice.

With it being an American holiday - I think all the doctors are away - I will be interested to see how they respond to your question.

Fred S on 7/14/01 at hrmin (053103)

I was diagnosed with diabetes last August. (I'm 62 years old.) The first thing my doctor did was send me to a class at our local hospital which instructs diabetics on proper diet and exercise. As a result of following their advice, I have been able to lose over 25 lbs, (I'm 5'10' and weigh 169 now.) and control my diabetes without medication. A vital element of controlling diabetes is monitoring your blood glucose level frequently and adjusting your diet accordingly.

I mention the above because I am astonished that your doctor apparently has done nothing to help deal with your diabetes yet. If you are going to have an operation you must inform the medical staff that you have diabetes. They will likely ask you if you have diabetes during the workup, as it will affect your treatment. For one thing, you won't get glucose via an IV, which is the last thing a diabetic needs. They will also monitor your blood glucose level as trauma and illnesses often raise your blood glucose level to unacceptable levels and provide you with a good diet.

If you have any specific questions, feel free to e-mail me. In the meantime, I hope you get educated and perhaps join a diabetes support group. Diabetes can be controlled once you understand it. I highly recommend the American Diabetic Association web site. It's full of excellent information.