Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Heelspur/PF

Posted by Tali S. on 7/04/01 at hrmin (052247)

My heel pain began about 7 years ago. Saw my surgeon, had x-rays done and a tear in the ligament, heel spur, and fallen arches were diagnosed. Wore a soft cast for several weeks; muscles atrophied in leg; did pt, then got custom fitted orthodics (with cutout at point of heel spur - relief at last). I only go barefoot in the house on carpet. The only street shoes I can wear (without ortho inserts) without pain returning are SAS tripad Comfort sandals.

Since the beginning of my heel pain, my right knee has been bothering me more and more. I'm wondering if having to wear the orthodics has aggravated my knee? I've put of surgery indefinitely so long as the shoe inserts work, but perhaps I should reconsider if my knee is geing drawn into the picture. An MRI of my right knee 10 years ago showed stretched tendons. The only treatment I got for that was PT. I'm looking for some general guidance so I can approach the doctors (which seem to change yearly under current health plans)with more questions/ammo. I'm hoping surgical procedures have made some leaps in technology since I last considered my options.

Re: Heelspur/PF

Julie on 7/05/01 at 04:30 (052260)

Tali, I'm not a doctor (I think most of the doctors were off celebrating the holiday yesterday) but I have an observation to make about your knee problem. It's likely that changing the way you walk to favour your bad foot is the cause. The fact that your MRI showed stretched tendons would seem to indicate that.

The orthotics - as long as they were properly casted and made - are more likely to have helped you to avoid the knee problem. How long have you had them? If they are as old as your 7-year problem, they may have worn down, or your feet may have changed, so you could look into that: ask your podiatrist to re-evaluate you.

I wonder what other treatments you have tried, if any, beside the orthotics and the cast? May I suggest that for full information you read the heel pain book (click on the link at the top of the page). You've had PF for a long time, but there are still lots of things you can do before considering surgery. And even if you really have got to the end of the conservative road, you should investigate ESWT (Electronic Shock Wave Treatment) before considering surgery. (There is an ESWT information page - link at the top of the home page - and also an ESWT message board where you'll find relevant posts.)

It sounds as though you've not been told never to go barefoot - not even on carpet! Your arches need support all the time, even when you get up in the night to go to the toilet. You might like to look into Birkenstocks, which many of us swear by - they don't suit everybody, but if they are right for you, they are very helpful.

Good luck in your search for relief.

Re: PS to Tali

Julie on 7/05/01 at 04:40 (052262)

Tali, please go to the 'Success/Horror Stories' message board and read the post by Foot Sore about never going barefoot, and Birks.

ellen w on 7/05/01 at 09:30 (052274)

Hi Tali,
The only thing I would add to what Julie has recommended is that you should have your knee evaluated by a sports medicine doctor or other expert. The knee problem may be related to your foot problems, but it could also be a separate condition -- or its possible that both could be being caused by a back problem. I've had knee as well as foot problems; what helped were strengthening exercises for the entire leg and taping the knee in a configuration called the McConnell wrap taught to me by my physical therapist.
ellen

Re: Heelspur/PF

Julie on 7/05/01 at 04:30 (052260)

Tali, I'm not a doctor (I think most of the doctors were off celebrating the holiday yesterday) but I have an observation to make about your knee problem. It's likely that changing the way you walk to favour your bad foot is the cause. The fact that your MRI showed stretched tendons would seem to indicate that.

The orthotics - as long as they were properly casted and made - are more likely to have helped you to avoid the knee problem. How long have you had them? If they are as old as your 7-year problem, they may have worn down, or your feet may have changed, so you could look into that: ask your podiatrist to re-evaluate you.

I wonder what other treatments you have tried, if any, beside the orthotics and the cast? May I suggest that for full information you read the heel pain book (click on the link at the top of the page). You've had PF for a long time, but there are still lots of things you can do before considering surgery. And even if you really have got to the end of the conservative road, you should investigate ESWT (Electronic Shock Wave Treatment) before considering surgery. (There is an ESWT information page - link at the top of the home page - and also an ESWT message board where you'll find relevant posts.)

It sounds as though you've not been told never to go barefoot - not even on carpet! Your arches need support all the time, even when you get up in the night to go to the toilet. You might like to look into Birkenstocks, which many of us swear by - they don't suit everybody, but if they are right for you, they are very helpful.

Good luck in your search for relief.

Julie on 7/05/01 at 04:40 (052262)

Tali, please go to the 'Success/Horror Stories' message board and read the post by Foot Sore about never going barefoot, and Birks.

ellen w on 7/05/01 at 09:30 (052274)

Hi Tali,
The only thing I would add to what Julie has recommended is that you should have your knee evaluated by a sports medicine doctor or other expert. The knee problem may be related to your foot problems, but it could also be a separate condition -- or its possible that both could be being caused by a back problem. I've had knee as well as foot problems; what helped were strengthening exercises for the entire leg and taping the knee in a configuration called the McConnell wrap taught to me by my physical therapist.
ellen