Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Why not go straight to Ossatron or surgery?

Posted by Bryan P. on 7/05/01 at 08:47 (052269)

I have spurs in both feet. I had one shot to the right foot and taped it up. That gave some sort of relief for about 4 days. After that, the same conditions prevailed. The doctor said that I may need two more shots, but maybe I'm misunderstanding something here. How do these shots resolve my spurs? Are not these shots just to aleviate some pain? Why not just go for Ossatron or surgery right off while in the mean time I take personal measures to not injure myself again?

Re: Why not go straight to Ossatron or surgery?

Julie on 7/05/01 at 09:28 (052273)

Bryan, read the heel pain book (click on the link right here or at the top of the page) for information about conservative treatments for plantar fasciitis. It's not just a question of not injuring yourself again, but of actively dealing with your heel pain.

Most podiatrists would counsel conservative treatment before considering surgery, which is by no means always successful and can leave the patient worse off. And I believe you need to have tried conservative treatments for at least six months without success before ESWT.

Dr. Biehler on 7/06/01 at 19:01 (052381)

Bryan, It is important to deterimine what caused the problem to begin with. If you tried the ESWT and the heel healed, how long would it be before it was injurred again? You must first take care of the cause. Dr. B.

Julie on 7/05/01 at 09:28 (052273)

Bryan, read the heel pain book (click on the link right here or at the top of the page) for information about conservative treatments for plantar fasciitis. It's not just a question of not injuring yourself again, but of actively dealing with your heel pain.

Most podiatrists would counsel conservative treatment before considering surgery, which is by no means always successful and can leave the patient worse off. And I believe you need to have tried conservative treatments for at least six months without success before ESWT.

Dr. Biehler on 7/06/01 at 19:01 (052381)

Bryan, It is important to deterimine what caused the problem to begin with. If you tried the ESWT and the heel healed, how long would it be before it was injurred again? You must first take care of the cause. Dr. B.