Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Plantar Faciitis and marathon training

Posted by LAC on 7/05/01 at hrmin (052279)

I just started training for a marathon and I started having heel pain. Is this something I can run through -- using arch supports, stretching exercises, etc. -- or am I further injuring my foot if I keep up with my training. Also, if I try to use 'rest' as a cure -- how long? Can use cross training for a month and then go back to marathon training? Thanks, LAC

Re: Plantar Faciitis and marathon training

Julie on 7/05/01 at 11:53 (052285)

I'm not a doctor. But I expect they'd agree with me: don't try to run through it because you will indeed be re-injuring your foot if you do.

Read the heel pain book (click on this link) for information about plantar fasciitis and treatments for it.

Go immediately to a doctor who specializes in feet and ankles. A podiatrist, or, if you have contact with one through your training a sports med doc.

Inform yourself and get a good treatment strategy in place. There's no way of telling how long - pf varies with the individual, but it's in your favour that you've started thinking about it quickly, and you've a good chance of healing quickly.

Good luck.

Dr. Biehler on 7/06/01 at 18:58 (052380)

Julie gave a good answer. Remember that when you are training for a marathon, the slight biomechanical problems in your feet are amplified. When dealing with long distance runners,slight postings in the running shoes made out of 1/8 inch thick felt is probably they best way to start. It would be good if you could find a podiatrist that deals these types of runners. There are plenty of us out there. Dr. B.

Julie on 7/05/01 at 11:53 (052285)

I'm not a doctor. But I expect they'd agree with me: don't try to run through it because you will indeed be re-injuring your foot if you do.

Read the heel pain book (click on this link) for information about plantar fasciitis and treatments for it.

Go immediately to a doctor who specializes in feet and ankles. A podiatrist, or, if you have contact with one through your training a sports med doc.

Inform yourself and get a good treatment strategy in place. There's no way of telling how long - pf varies with the individual, but it's in your favour that you've started thinking about it quickly, and you've a good chance of healing quickly.

Good luck.

Dr. Biehler on 7/06/01 at 18:58 (052380)

Julie gave a good answer. Remember that when you are training for a marathon, the slight biomechanical problems in your feet are amplified. When dealing with long distance runners,slight postings in the running shoes made out of 1/8 inch thick felt is probably they best way to start. It would be good if you could find a podiatrist that deals these types of runners. There are plenty of us out there. Dr. B.