Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Steroid injections- how many is safe?

Posted by Kim K. on 7/05/01 at 11:24 (052284)

I recently went to a Podiatrist who treats PF with Indocin and steriod injections, he says I can have up to 12 injections, so far I have had 2 with very little relief, I am concerned because I have heard that you can only get 2-3 shots in a year. And I have also been told that Indocin can ruin your stomach lining. Is my Dr. nuts? I am begining to think so. He is very cocky and talks down to you and says I should not belive what I read on the web.

Re: Steroid injections- how many is safe?

Dr. Biehler on 7/06/01 at 18:51 (052378)

He probably ment the Indocin, which is a NSAID, could effect your stomach linning. I personaly do not like to give a second steroid injection unless the first one did alot of help and we think a follow up one will help also. This web page has articles about the possible rupture that steroids can cause, if there use is not carefully considered. Dr. B.

Kim K. on 7/07/01 at 11:29 (052402)

Thanks for the info, I have decided not to have any more steriod shots. At this point i am looking into Surgery vs. ESWT.

Dr. Biehler on 7/07/01 at 14:29 (052409)

When possible, ESWT should be tried before surgery. Dr. B.

Dennis C on 7/08/01 at hrmin (052447)

In the past three months I have had three injections in the left foot and seven in the right. These were done by two different Doctors in one appointment each. The first gave only a few but the second gave seven total with full knowledge of the action of the first. Is this safe.

Julie on 7/08/01 at 06:41 (052448)

Dennis, see Dr Biehler's reply to Kim, above, and the information he refers to on this website. You might also be interested to read the discussion on the Treatments message board, under the same (or similar) heading. It's about two-thirds of the way down the page. It does sound as though you've had a lot of shots.

Dennis C on 7/08/01 at 07:04 (052449)

Thank you Julie. I might add that the first set of injections lasted only a day or so. My second POD said that the others might not have been given corectly or that some people are just not receotive to cortizone injections. Is the second case true?

Julie on 7/08/01 at 10:55 (052461)

Dennis, I don't know the answer to that, but if you're not receptive, I suppose there's not much point in having more of it. Perhaps one of the doctors will respond. But whether receptive or not, I'd say you've had enough cortisone so do be cautious from now on if more shots are suggested.

Dr. Biehler on 7/06/01 at 18:51 (052378)

He probably ment the Indocin, which is a NSAID, could effect your stomach linning. I personaly do not like to give a second steroid injection unless the first one did alot of help and we think a follow up one will help also. This web page has articles about the possible rupture that steroids can cause, if there use is not carefully considered. Dr. B.

Kim K. on 7/07/01 at 11:29 (052402)

Thanks for the info, I have decided not to have any more steriod shots. At this point i am looking into Surgery vs. ESWT.

Dr. Biehler on 7/07/01 at 14:29 (052409)

When possible, ESWT should be tried before surgery. Dr. B.

Dennis C on 7/08/01 at hrmin (052447)

In the past three months I have had three injections in the left foot and seven in the right. These were done by two different Doctors in one appointment each. The first gave only a few but the second gave seven total with full knowledge of the action of the first. Is this safe.

Julie on 7/08/01 at 06:41 (052448)

Dennis, see Dr Biehler's reply to Kim, above, and the information he refers to on this website. You might also be interested to read the discussion on the Treatments message board, under the same (or similar) heading. It's about two-thirds of the way down the page. It does sound as though you've had a lot of shots.

Dennis C on 7/08/01 at 07:04 (052449)

Thank you Julie. I might add that the first set of injections lasted only a day or so. My second POD said that the others might not have been given corectly or that some people are just not receotive to cortizone injections. Is the second case true?

Julie on 7/08/01 at 10:55 (052461)

Dennis, I don't know the answer to that, but if you're not receptive, I suppose there's not much point in having more of it. Perhaps one of the doctors will respond. But whether receptive or not, I'd say you've had enough cortisone so do be cautious from now on if more shots are suggested.