Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

how much pain?

Posted by Donna B on 7/05/01 at 22:01 (052318)

I would like to know how much pain some of you are in? Does it interfere with your personal life as well as your job or career? I only have pain after standing for 1 or 1/2 hrs. is that good or bad? Would you consider having a complete plantar cut for that?

Re: how much pain?

Mary J. on 7/06/01 at hrmin (052331)

Donna, I am scheduled for open plantar fasciotomy and nerve entrapment check on July 12. After 5 years of pain and trying all conservative treatments (except ART, since it is too far away). I even had two shock wave treatments. I have pain in my foot and leg with almost every step I take. If I rest a long time, the pain comes back after five minutes or so of walking. I use my ice pack for pain, and sometimes use ice to get to sleep at night. NSAIDS help a little, but I can't take them forever just for a little help. Did the ART help your pain until it doesn't start back until 1 hour after being on your feet? I didn't quite understand that. Like you, I have kind of high arches. Every orthotic has to be cut down, and sometimes they don't even work after that. Thanks for your help to all on the board. I think you are onto something. I hope you can get the orthotics for high arches soon, and that you continue to improve with your conservative treatments. Mary J.

wendyn on 7/06/01 at 08:01 (052332)

Donna I have significant structural problems with my feet. I have some PF/ mostly TTS and PTD and have also been told by two doctors that I have some form of RSD. I offer this for comparitive purposes.

When my condition was at it's worst, I could not sleep because the sheets hurt too much. I had trouble concentrating and at times the pain was bad enough to make me really nauseated. At that point - standing for more than just a few minutes was unbearable, I remember almost completely falling apart because I got stuck in a 5 minute line up at the drug store.

I sat in my bathroom sink to put on my make up in the morning (I'm not very big). I did my Christmas shopping in a wheelchair - and if I had to go to a store I used a cane.

Now I can walk reasonable distances without extreme pain, I always have some pain. I can go for a walk for exercise as long as I go at a moderate pace, for maybe 15 to 20 minutes. Yes it hurts when I'm done. I can cook without too much pain. I still have trouble if I get stopped in the hall at work for impromptu 'meetings'. Most of my coworkers understand my shuffling around and inability to stand in one place - they know it's not because I have to go potty.

In my opinion - if you can stand for 60 to 90 minutes before you have any pain - you're doing pretty good. Even people without foot problems probably get a little uncomfortable if they stand for a longer than an hour or two straight.

Does it interfere with my life? If I had anything other than a desk job - I would have been off work a long time ago. I walked through parts of my neighborhood last night for the first time in over 2 years because I haven't been able to go farther than a couple of blocks for so long. I've taken my son to the zoo twice in 3 years (and only in the last year). We live near some really nice parks and I haven't taken him to them in 2 years. When my pain was bad I had to turn down countless social invitations because of the possibility I might have to walk or stand too much.

GinaC on 7/06/01 at 11:57 (052353)

Before surgery, I was unable to be on my feet more than 5 minutes without pain. I would be in agony after an hour or so of walking. During the 5th year of PF and later TTS, I also started to have pain when at rest. At that point I opted for surgery. The fact that I had experienced increasing limitations over the years, to the point of total interference with my pre-PF lifestyle made me look seriously at surgery. I also expereinced greater pain as time went on. So, in considering surgery, I felt I had very little to lose, even if the procedure failed or introduced additional pain. No matter what happened after surgery, I felt I would not be that much worse off than I was pre-surgery.

I'm about 4 months post-op now and doing better every day. I can even walk the dog (without paying the price in pain). In some ways I'm now sorry I waited as long as I did to have surgery, but hindsight is always 20/20. Good luck with your decision. Gina

Dan L on 7/07/01 at hrmin (052423)

I'm approx 16 months post op bilateral partial release. As for me (unfortunately) things are now much worse. Pain Level (with ANY weight bearing) about an 8.
Limited ability to stand or walk. Use wheelchair usually. Lots of burning sensations and sharp shooting pains as well as cramping and the usual heel pain in both feet. Extreme pain also in arches. I'm at wits end.
Ortho Surgeon just recommended what's called a Galvanic Stimulator which is like a very strong tens unit. He says there's a 'sock' that can now be used with this. Do a web search for more info.
Best wishes for you!!

Rhea L. on 7/08/01 at 19:20 (052486)

Im 6 weeks post-op open PF. I no longer have the pain I use to have, now I have pain on top of the foot and in the arch. Started taking Celebrex about 5 days ago and it is better. Im a nurse and stand on my feet about 8 hours. I do fine for about 6. Doctor says it will take time. I try to swim everyday (FL.) for exercise. Pain scale about4 most of the time and about 9 after work. I do feel it is getting better with time.

Karen B. on 7/08/01 at 20:03 (052490)

I have had PF for three years now and feel like a wimp considering some of the postings I have read.....What has helped me in the last year is that I have purchased Magnet Insoles from Nikken, a Japanese company....I wear them in my shoes constantly and they cut the pain factor down by 50%....I have even taken to wearing them against my feet inside socks when I sleep and they allow me to rise in the am and make it to the bathroom without pain....yoga helps tremendously....the downward dog strech can stretch your entire leg...not only your calf, this allows me a pain free day....

I was considering having PF release surgery....now I wonder if I should possibly wait...as I have had some healing over the last year with the change in my exercise habits from aerobic step to just matwork with no standing exercises....

Any ideas on whether surgery is worth it?

thank you

JudyS on 7/08/01 at 20:24 (052495)

Karen, your question, to PF sufferers, is the one with no answer! Most here will advise you to check out ESWT before considering surgery as it is non-invasive. Lots of info about it here.
Like you I am at the 3-year mark with the last year being the most significant in terms of recovery. As I've considered surgery on and off this last year I keep coming 'round to this one thing - if the surgery isn't successful, one can be left with permanent problems. This board is full of surgical success stories and surgical horror stories. But the reality is that surgery is successful in the huge majority of cases. I'm just not willing to take a chance on being in that minority. I had ESWT about 3.5 weeks ago but it's too soon to tell if it was effective.

Re: how much pain?Rhea

Tammie on 7/08/01 at 20:51 (052496)

I am glad to read your post , I was thinking about you as I remember you posting before you returned to work! I worried that it was going to be very hard on you, how have you done?I am glad that you are feeling better it gives allot of people hope when they hear some positive notes ! Continued good luck in the healing! I dont know how you can stand for that long I cant believe you got to go back to work already! You seem to have a warning signal tho with the pain a 9 after work, hmmmm I am worried for you do you get anytime to sit or are you always on those poor feet?Ihope you dont over do !!! Take it easy and resttttttttttttt!

Re: how much pain?/Gina

Tammie on 7/08/01 at 20:55 (052497)

How wonderful !!!! Even walking the dog sounds great!!!!!!I am very glad things are going well for you ! Hope it continues! Thanks for giving positive reinforcement here. Surgery is a very hard decision and very controversial, but it is good to hear how everyone is doing! 5 Years WOW you must have had the patients of a saint!!!! Wishing you well and continued sucess!

Re: how much pain?/Dan

Tammie on 7/08/01 at 21:05 (052498)

Dan I am so sorry about the problems you are having!!! I hope that your patience and your Dr. will find something to give you the pain relief you need! Keep hanging in there and will pray for you! Good luck!

Paula on 7/10/01 at 20:20 (052716)

Actually, sounds like your pain is just beginning That was how I was..at first. I should have gotten treatment right then instead of waiting another 6 months or so when I could no longer even walk.
Please, get treatment right away.

Re: About the magnets.......

BrianG on 7/11/01 at 12:55 (052821)

Hi Karen,

I too tried the magnets, same brand. Nothing, ziltch! I'm wondering how you know it's the magnets that are helping you? I really haven't heard of them helping anyone else. I'm thinking your doing better because you changed your exercise program and do yoga. Can you actually tell me that you felt relief as soon as you started using the magnets, or could it be from the other changes, and you just happened to try the magnets at the same time? I'm interested, and curious, and just a bit skeptical too :*)

BCG

Julie on 7/11/01 at 14:58 (052845)

Brian, I'm inclined to agree with you about the reasons for Karen's improvement, but regarding the magnets, I remember Scott saying ages ago that he tried the magnets and that they helped. Perhaps if he's around he will confirm or deny my recollection.

JudyS on 7/11/01 at 18:28 (052867)

I tried the Nikken magnets too - early on. Paid $70.00 for them and had no relief from them. Now I don't even know where they are!

Mary J. on 7/06/01 at hrmin (052331)

Donna, I am scheduled for open plantar fasciotomy and nerve entrapment check on July 12. After 5 years of pain and trying all conservative treatments (except ART, since it is too far away). I even had two shock wave treatments. I have pain in my foot and leg with almost every step I take. If I rest a long time, the pain comes back after five minutes or so of walking. I use my ice pack for pain, and sometimes use ice to get to sleep at night. NSAIDS help a little, but I can't take them forever just for a little help. Did the ART help your pain until it doesn't start back until 1 hour after being on your feet? I didn't quite understand that. Like you, I have kind of high arches. Every orthotic has to be cut down, and sometimes they don't even work after that. Thanks for your help to all on the board. I think you are onto something. I hope you can get the orthotics for high arches soon, and that you continue to improve with your conservative treatments. Mary J.

wendyn on 7/06/01 at 08:01 (052332)

Donna I have significant structural problems with my feet. I have some PF/ mostly TTS and PTD and have also been told by two doctors that I have some form of RSD. I offer this for comparitive purposes.

When my condition was at it's worst, I could not sleep because the sheets hurt too much. I had trouble concentrating and at times the pain was bad enough to make me really nauseated. At that point - standing for more than just a few minutes was unbearable, I remember almost completely falling apart because I got stuck in a 5 minute line up at the drug store.

I sat in my bathroom sink to put on my make up in the morning (I'm not very big). I did my Christmas shopping in a wheelchair - and if I had to go to a store I used a cane.

Now I can walk reasonable distances without extreme pain, I always have some pain. I can go for a walk for exercise as long as I go at a moderate pace, for maybe 15 to 20 minutes. Yes it hurts when I'm done. I can cook without too much pain. I still have trouble if I get stopped in the hall at work for impromptu 'meetings'. Most of my coworkers understand my shuffling around and inability to stand in one place - they know it's not because I have to go potty.

In my opinion - if you can stand for 60 to 90 minutes before you have any pain - you're doing pretty good. Even people without foot problems probably get a little uncomfortable if they stand for a longer than an hour or two straight.

Does it interfere with my life? If I had anything other than a desk job - I would have been off work a long time ago. I walked through parts of my neighborhood last night for the first time in over 2 years because I haven't been able to go farther than a couple of blocks for so long. I've taken my son to the zoo twice in 3 years (and only in the last year). We live near some really nice parks and I haven't taken him to them in 2 years. When my pain was bad I had to turn down countless social invitations because of the possibility I might have to walk or stand too much.

GinaC on 7/06/01 at 11:57 (052353)

Before surgery, I was unable to be on my feet more than 5 minutes without pain. I would be in agony after an hour or so of walking. During the 5th year of PF and later TTS, I also started to have pain when at rest. At that point I opted for surgery. The fact that I had experienced increasing limitations over the years, to the point of total interference with my pre-PF lifestyle made me look seriously at surgery. I also expereinced greater pain as time went on. So, in considering surgery, I felt I had very little to lose, even if the procedure failed or introduced additional pain. No matter what happened after surgery, I felt I would not be that much worse off than I was pre-surgery.

I'm about 4 months post-op now and doing better every day. I can even walk the dog (without paying the price in pain). In some ways I'm now sorry I waited as long as I did to have surgery, but hindsight is always 20/20. Good luck with your decision. Gina

Dan L on 7/07/01 at hrmin (052423)

I'm approx 16 months post op bilateral partial release. As for me (unfortunately) things are now much worse. Pain Level (with ANY weight bearing) about an 8.
Limited ability to stand or walk. Use wheelchair usually. Lots of burning sensations and sharp shooting pains as well as cramping and the usual heel pain in both feet. Extreme pain also in arches. I'm at wits end.
Ortho Surgeon just recommended what's called a Galvanic Stimulator which is like a very strong tens unit. He says there's a 'sock' that can now be used with this. Do a web search for more info.
Best wishes for you!!

Rhea L. on 7/08/01 at 19:20 (052486)

Im 6 weeks post-op open PF. I no longer have the pain I use to have, now I have pain on top of the foot and in the arch. Started taking Celebrex about 5 days ago and it is better. Im a nurse and stand on my feet about 8 hours. I do fine for about 6. Doctor says it will take time. I try to swim everyday (FL.) for exercise. Pain scale about4 most of the time and about 9 after work. I do feel it is getting better with time.

Karen B. on 7/08/01 at 20:03 (052490)

I have had PF for three years now and feel like a wimp considering some of the postings I have read.....What has helped me in the last year is that I have purchased Magnet Insoles from Nikken, a Japanese company....I wear them in my shoes constantly and they cut the pain factor down by 50%....I have even taken to wearing them against my feet inside socks when I sleep and they allow me to rise in the am and make it to the bathroom without pain....yoga helps tremendously....the downward dog strech can stretch your entire leg...not only your calf, this allows me a pain free day....

I was considering having PF release surgery....now I wonder if I should possibly wait...as I have had some healing over the last year with the change in my exercise habits from aerobic step to just matwork with no standing exercises....

Any ideas on whether surgery is worth it?

thank you

JudyS on 7/08/01 at 20:24 (052495)

Karen, your question, to PF sufferers, is the one with no answer! Most here will advise you to check out ESWT before considering surgery as it is non-invasive. Lots of info about it here.
Like you I am at the 3-year mark with the last year being the most significant in terms of recovery. As I've considered surgery on and off this last year I keep coming 'round to this one thing - if the surgery isn't successful, one can be left with permanent problems. This board is full of surgical success stories and surgical horror stories. But the reality is that surgery is successful in the huge majority of cases. I'm just not willing to take a chance on being in that minority. I had ESWT about 3.5 weeks ago but it's too soon to tell if it was effective.

Re: how much pain?Rhea

Tammie on 7/08/01 at 20:51 (052496)

I am glad to read your post , I was thinking about you as I remember you posting before you returned to work! I worried that it was going to be very hard on you, how have you done?I am glad that you are feeling better it gives allot of people hope when they hear some positive notes ! Continued good luck in the healing! I dont know how you can stand for that long I cant believe you got to go back to work already! You seem to have a warning signal tho with the pain a 9 after work, hmmmm I am worried for you do you get anytime to sit or are you always on those poor feet?Ihope you dont over do !!! Take it easy and resttttttttttttt!

Re: how much pain?/Gina

Tammie on 7/08/01 at 20:55 (052497)

How wonderful !!!! Even walking the dog sounds great!!!!!!I am very glad things are going well for you ! Hope it continues! Thanks for giving positive reinforcement here. Surgery is a very hard decision and very controversial, but it is good to hear how everyone is doing! 5 Years WOW you must have had the patients of a saint!!!! Wishing you well and continued sucess!

Re: how much pain?/Dan

Tammie on 7/08/01 at 21:05 (052498)

Dan I am so sorry about the problems you are having!!! I hope that your patience and your Dr. will find something to give you the pain relief you need! Keep hanging in there and will pray for you! Good luck!

Paula on 7/10/01 at 20:20 (052716)

Actually, sounds like your pain is just beginning That was how I was..at first. I should have gotten treatment right then instead of waiting another 6 months or so when I could no longer even walk.
Please, get treatment right away.

BrianG on 7/11/01 at 12:55 (052821)

Hi Karen,

I too tried the magnets, same brand. Nothing, ziltch! I'm wondering how you know it's the magnets that are helping you? I really haven't heard of them helping anyone else. I'm thinking your doing better because you changed your exercise program and do yoga. Can you actually tell me that you felt relief as soon as you started using the magnets, or could it be from the other changes, and you just happened to try the magnets at the same time? I'm interested, and curious, and just a bit skeptical too :*)

BCG

Julie on 7/11/01 at 14:58 (052845)

Brian, I'm inclined to agree with you about the reasons for Karen's improvement, but regarding the magnets, I remember Scott saying ages ago that he tried the magnets and that they helped. Perhaps if he's around he will confirm or deny my recollection.

JudyS on 7/11/01 at 18:28 (052867)

I tried the Nikken magnets too - early on. Paid $70.00 for them and had no relief from them. Now I don't even know where they are!