Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Plantar Fasciitis and foot numbness - Are they related?

Posted by GizmoNF on 7/07/01 at hrmin (052386)

The ball of my feet and my big toe is numb and I have just recenlty been diagnosed with P.F. Is it possible that the two are related? I am not diabetic and I cannot seem to get an answer for the numbness. The neuroligist says there is no nerve damage. I did have Cushings which caused me to have weak proximal muscles and I thus developped an abnormal gait. Can any ofthis explain the numbness. If so what can I do to reverse this? Please advise.. Thank you

Re: Plantar Fasciitis and foot numbness - Are they related?

Dr. Biehler on 7/07/01 at 14:37 (052411)

The numbness might be being caused by the same thing that is causing the PF. Alot of times this is overpronation. The overpronating ( I don't know if you do or not ) could be causing pressure on the nerves as they pass the ankle. Dr. B.

Re: Plantar Fasciitis and foot numbness - DR.B

Lisa C on 7/07/01 at 21:13 (052438)

My toes fall asleep/get numb in my new sneakers. It doesn't seem to matter how loose I lace them. I have also tried thin socks. It is usually when I am standing still. Could this also be from over pronation and not the shoes? Even though it only notice it in these shoes?

Julie on 7/08/01 at 03:04 (052441)

Lisa, are the sneakers too tight? Are you sure they are the right size for you? Different manufacturers size differently: one's size 8 is not necessarily the same as another's. And our shoe size does change as we age, because the feet spread.

If you only notice the numbess in these new shoes, I'd guess that they are the problem.

Re: Plantar Fasciitis and foot numbness - Are they related?

Dr. Biehler on 7/07/01 at 14:37 (052411)

The numbness might be being caused by the same thing that is causing the PF. Alot of times this is overpronation. The overpronating ( I don't know if you do or not ) could be causing pressure on the nerves as they pass the ankle. Dr. B.

Lisa C on 7/07/01 at 21:13 (052438)

My toes fall asleep/get numb in my new sneakers. It doesn't seem to matter how loose I lace them. I have also tried thin socks. It is usually when I am standing still. Could this also be from over pronation and not the shoes? Even though it only notice it in these shoes?

Julie on 7/08/01 at 03:04 (052441)

Lisa, are the sneakers too tight? Are you sure they are the right size for you? Different manufacturers size differently: one's size 8 is not necessarily the same as another's. And our shoe size does change as we age, because the feet spread.

If you only notice the numbess in these new shoes, I'd guess that they are the problem.