Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Newly diagnosed/concerned about weight gain

Posted by Carmen H on 7/07/01 at hrmin (052436)

This may be a long one...here goes. Two weeks and two days with this miserable pain. My life as I know it has stopped. I am a 30 year old ACTIVE woman. I was running on the treadmill on Saturday morning....all of a sudden sharp pain in my foot. Four days later I couldn't walk on it. The next day the other foot started to burn and hurt. Pod told me I had PF, taped up my feet and said to keep it on until the next Tuesday and come back and see him (it was Thursday). Friday morning the tape fell off and the pain was immense! By the next week I was totally Miserable. He had given me the advice only to rest them and ice them. No stretches or anything. Also gave me a script for the steroid pack which lowered my immune system (I NEVER get sick) and I caught a cold virus. I learned about icing, golfball rotating, frozen water bottle rolling, stretching etc. on the internet. I figured if the doc wasn't willing to educate me on his time then I was going to do it myself and be more informed for my next visit.
Next visit to POD...prescribes Orthotics ($350.00 in his office) $195.00 at a specialty foot store. I opt for the foot store as insurance doesn't cover these. I have VERY good insurance through my husbands work but they don't cover orthotics.
I went today and got orthotics ordered and have on a new pair of $113.00 Saucony's with inserts for the time being. I learned a lot at the foot place and the owner spent 2 hours with me going over stretches and icing techniques etc. Well I take very good care of myself, I eat well, exercise consistently 5-6 days a week 1 1/2 hours at a time, remain very active at all times when not exercising, sleep about 9 hours a night and take vitamins, I don't smoke and VERY rarely drink alcohol. I am healthy....but totally unable to do anything I used to do.
My questions are these: WHY hasn't anyone talked about Insurance and why they don't cover this? IS there anyone out there concerned about weight gain from not being able to exercise? We are supposed to maintain our weight and stay healthy but we can't move to do it! I can't even believe how bad this situation is!!!!!! I am 30 years old, 5 foot 7' and weigh about 136. I am by no means overweight but I am headed that way if this doesn't get better soon. What really doesn't make sense to me is that the health insurance companies want us to stay healthy, maintain our weight and keep our organs properly functioning....BUT they won't pay for the methods to keep us moving and active when we have a problem as common as this.
Hmmmm. 'Insurance company would you like me to have a $5,000 procedure you have to pay for to fix my feet? Or would you shell out $350.00 for my orthotics?'
I am so frustrated and I am starting to get very depressed with this whole thing.....which will end up costing them more money!!!!! Can anyone help me with some ideas that don't cost $500.00?? Give me some hope!
My mother in law got better but gained 30 pounds in the meantime. I can't do that......it will absolutely make me crazy to stay inactive.
Any help will be GREATLY appreciated!!!!! Send me emails I don't care...just anything.
Jade balm??

Re: Newly diagnosed/concerned about weight gain

Rebecca D on 7/07/01 at 22:41 (052439)

Carmen,
I think you have come to the right place for help. I got zero help from my doctors. Read through the PF Book on this site. Scott gives some excellent taping and stretching examples. I have used them, combined with Doctor Scholl's foam arch supports (about $12/pair) and have had much success. I walk a lot at work, and needed to be able to stay active. I found that by using elastic tape and stretching it across the arch of my foot (while the foot is flexed) it provided support while allowing the muscles and tissues of the foot to rest. I also us Young Living Essential oils (the 'RC' formula) mixed with unscented lotion, and massage my feet nightly. I have been suffering for just about a year now, and I am about 90% cured. x-rays do show spurs, but with proper care, I have been able to alleviate the pain and get on with life. I agree with the others, too. No more bare feet, try Birkenstocks...I don't have them yet, but I have notices that when I wear strapless sandals, my feet feel better. It is the gripping with the toes. I also pick up jacks with my toes. I suspect any small object would work. Stretching is good, and yoga. I stayed away from the custom orthotics because of the price. I find that insurance never covers the things I need. I decided I would try every kind of over-the-counter, mail order, less expensive than orthotics treatment there is before I gave up the money. Turns out, I don't need them.

What about riding a bike instead of walking?

Stay faithful to the site...you will get lots of support. Good luck, and good health!

Rebecca

Donna M on 7/07/01 at 23:56 (052440)

Hi Carmen, you have definitely come to the right place! Like Rebecca said, read the PF Book and you will get lots of good advice and answers.
I have had PF and a heelspur for a year now. I know what you mean about weight gain, as I have put on 15 lbs. and it is killing me! I am still active, but not able to walk long distances or use my treadmill! I am just on my feet a lot and moving around, but that doesn't really count!
I got Birkenstocks, as was suggested here, and they have really made a differece in me being able to get around better. I wear them most of the time, but it also helps to change shoes and wear my tennis shoes with the arch supports and heel pads in them that my orthopedic dr. gave me. It seems to let my feet rest by changing shoes.
Just hang in there and keep icing, taping and resting. Scott tells and shows ways to tape your feet and it really helps. Just be sure and read the PF Book!
I hope you get some relief and your PF disappears as quickly as it appeared!

Take care,

Donna M

Julie on 7/08/01 at 03:24 (052442)

Carmen, Rebecca and Donna have given you good advice. There is a great deal you can do to help yourself, and a great deal of information and advice in the heel pain book. Do read it, and also read the message boards which, over a period of time,will give you a lot of practical information as well as support.

You sound like a 'do-er', and that's great, because it means you'll actively involve yourself in your healing, and you've a good chance of healing relatively quickly because you've started dealing with it quickly. But I do want to offer a caution: sometimes we can 'do' too much. With plantar fasciitis, rest is the key (your pod was right here, and I think he was right not to give you stretches now). It's an injury to the plantar fascia, which with excess tension can tear at the point where it inserts in the heelbone, and like any injury, it needs rest in order to heal.

Not TOTAL rest: obviously you need to keep moving. But non weight-bearing exercise is best. Be very careful with stretching. Many of us here, including myself, have found that the wall stretches do more harm than good: they can pull on the fascia and irritate the Achilles Tendon, and you don't want to end up with Achilles Tendonitis as well as pf due to over-enthusiastic exercising . Non-weight-bearing exercise is best.

Of course you want to keep active - but it should be non weight-bearing for now. Biking, as Rebecca (or Donna - I always lose what I've written if I leave it to check back!) suggested. Swimming is excellent all-round aerobic exercise, so if you can swim, and have a pool near you, go for that.

I've found taping very helpful - see the illustrations and instructions in Part 1 of the heel pain book. Taping gives the arch the support it should have from the fascia, but has lost, so it rests it and therefore contributes to healing as well as to pain relief. An elastic ankle support, such as the Futuro, is helpful in the same way.

Icing is helpful for inflammation and pain relief.

Did your pod watch you walk on a treadmill to evaluate your gait? If there are any biomechanical faults in the way you walk (over-pronation, for example) you probably should consider being casted for custom orthotics, despite the cost. Richard, our resident Certified Pedorthist, can be of help here - ask your questions on the Inserts. Orthotics, Shoes message board.

Please try not to add anxiety about weight to your problems. I know how you feel, but you are at the low end of the acceptable weight range for your height, and would still be well within it even if you put on a few pounds.

Best wishes for your healing. Be optimistic, and be patient.

Carmen H on 7/08/01 at 08:49 (052452)

Thank you for your reply. I have Birkenstocks and have been an avid wearer of them for about 10 years now but wearing bad shoes while waiting tables, bartending and managing a restaurant for 5 years (hard wood floors and concrete....14 hour shifts)really did a number on my feet. I have been out of that business for over three years now but I have to say this is the worst pain I have ever had with my feet.
I had Piriformus release surgery in December so sitting for too long is hard and biking is out of the question as I developed the Piriformus Syndrome (another PF problem) while taking Spin Class, Kickboxing and weight lifting. I am a mess huh?? :-(
I will look into the book you suggested and get some elastic tape. I will do anything at this point. Thanks for your response and I will be living on here until this is fexed and AFTER if I can manage to find something that will help others.

Carmen H on 7/08/01 at 09:09 (052454)

Thank you for your reply. I appreciate it very much! I actually didn't realize until a minute ago (when I went to the PF Book) that I read that last week. I printed it out for reference when I firt started really being active in the treatment of this thing. I tried taping but haven't found a tape that holds the pressure on the arch. I had my husband tape my feet and the minute I put them down on the floor the pressure was released and there was no support. The tape the doc used worked for the one day it stayed on.....do you have any recommendations for a good brand? I spent about $50 on tape the first day. I will ease up on the wall stretches for now and keep on with the seated Theraband stretches and picking up the golf ball with my toes and icing. I also got an arch band and that didn't really do anything either way.
I did get scanned for orthotics yesterday. I will have them back in a week and we'll see how they are. I am currently wearing he Saucony's I bought yesterday (should have come with a car for the price) and they provide some definite relief! Thank god. I put on a pair of FINN Comfort shoes and thought I was in HEAVEN. BUT they're $175.00. So those will have to wait and the Birks I am wearing will have to do for now.

I wish I could bike or do yoga.....I have Piriformus Syndrome (also called PF) and it came from a combination of things and SPIN class (excessive hard bike class) contributed to it. I have already had surgery on that and have a nice 7' scar for nothing. It didn't help. Stretching that muscle aggravates it and Yoga really put me in a twist of pain. SO....I will relax and rest for now as everyone recommends and maybe start doing some upper body and ab work again once I can walk for more than a few minutes. I will be on here a LOT and REALLY appreciate everyone's advice....I will keep reading and try not to worry about weight too much.
Thank you all so much for responding....it truly helps to not be alone with this. I will try to STOP crying over the pain and frustration and keep my chin up. I am being taught a lesson in everything that happens in my life....this one seems to be 'Take a break!!! Give your body rest.'
So I will.
Thanks again.

Carmen H on 7/08/01 at 09:11 (052455)

Thank you Donna! Please let me know how you progress. I know my firend has heel spurs and PF and she is wanting to get pregnant......but I just know this will hurt her worse.
I can't believe how stubborn this thing is!
Thank you again.....

Rebecca D on 7/08/01 at 10:56 (052462)

Carmen,
I use an elastic tape called 'Elastoplast' or 'ACE' I purchaseit from a home care service called Delcrest. I don't know if they are in your area or not. It costs me about $17 for four rolls, but they last a while.

Good luck!

Julie on 7/08/01 at 11:07 (052464)

Carmen, you're really working on this thing. I'm sure you'll be fine!

Re taping. I use Leuko tape, made by Beiersdorf, and the technique I've followed successfully for several months is the simplest of the methods in the PF Book: two strips of tape connecting the ball and the heel. For good support you need to pull it tight, and when you apply it your foot should be in neutral, neither dorsiflexed nor plantarflexed. You will need to experiment a bit to get the right tension: too loose and it won't be supportive, too tight and it will pull painfully. It should feel tight when you stand, but not too tight. It's worth persevering with.

It sounds as though you didn't find a good yoga class. If it left you in pain, it wasn't the right class for you. But (I am a yoga teacher) there are many different styles of yoga, and if it interests you, it's worth looking around for the right teacher. You need a fairly gentle class that doesn't emphasize standing work to the exclusion of everything else (as Ashtanga and Iyengar Yoga tend to do).

The theraband stretches will be better for you: back off the wall stretches completely for now.

Yes, every experience contains a lesson, and my theory is that if we can figure out what the lesson is, and learn it, we won't need to repeat the experience. It sounds as though you've cracked this one!

Good luck, and keep with heelspurs.com. You will be able to help others here through your experience - that's what it's all about.

GinaC on 7/08/01 at 12:35 (052467)

I was very inactive following PF surgery four months ago. My doctor encouraged me to go back to swimming right after my stitches were removed. I did that and weigh exactly what I did at the time of surgery; sure surprised me. Gina

CarmenH on 7/08/01 at 16:48 (052480)

I wish I had a pool in my area!!! It would really be good for my Piriformus problem as well. Boy sounds like I am a mess!
You're lucky your weight stayed the same....I am hoping I can maintain as well.
Thank you!!

Carmen H on 7/08/01 at 16:51 (052481)

Julie~

I actually felt pain in the Piriformus muscle from the Yoga. It was a beginners class at my gym....no longer offered. That's a good suggestion though to seek a class outside of the gym and find a TRUE professional like yourself. As soon as I get some relief I will do that.
I got some tape today and am headed to tape up right now. If this doesn't work I am going to get the tape you suggested. Where do you get it? Health and Herb stores or just general Drugstores?
The Saucony's are helping me be able to at least leave the house.....but rest helps me the most.
Keep on keeping on I always say.....
Keep writing I appreciate the input!
Off to tape! My husband and my big 'date' tonight....
ha ha

Julie on 7/08/01 at 17:14 (052483)

Carmen, I'm in England, and I don't know where you can get the Leuko tape in the States. But in a recent discussion on the board about it, John posted the details of a website that sells it. You could try:

http://ptcatalog.com/misc.shtml

Enjoy your big date!

JudyS on 7/08/01 at 20:17 (052491)

Carmen, keeping in mind that I'm not a doctor I wanted to share an observation with you; you said that you felt a sharp pain while running on the treadmill and that your other foot also started hurting a few days later. We're you wearing brand-new shoes during that jog? The reason I ask is that PF is more likely to start suddenly due to injury and it sounds like you may have actually injured the one foot during the run. However, having both suddenly hurt is more indicative of new shoes or a change in exercise patterns. In a way I'm surprised that, given the sudden, sharp pain and ensuing intensity, that your doc didn't investigate further given the possibility of a tear. Perhaps because heel pain is heel pain no matter its origin. I ditto Julie in that the smartest thing you can do is follow conservative treatments you'll find here in Scott's PF Book - religiously, and be very pro-active in your recovery. The fact that it's recent is your best shot in getting it under control soon - just be patient.

Carmen H on 7/09/01 at 07:13 (052526)

No the shoes weren't new. I actually went out and got new shoes the day after it happened thinking it was my shoes....even though they were only three months old at the MOST. So the new shoes didn't help....obviously it probably hurt more then anything. I have had more walking comfort with the Saucony's and the insertts in the past three days but taking off my shoes and laying down last night killed me. My feet feel like they are filled with cellophane. I have religiously been following the suggestions since this happened to me. I am the kind of person that if something hurts I look it up on the internet...I don't waste time. Then I go to the doc.
Everyone says have patience.......for how long? :-)
thanks for your advice and input.

Re: Thanks Julie

Carmen H on 7/10/01 at 19:46 (052712)

You're very helpful and motivating...thank you!!!

Julie on 7/11/01 at 03:20 (052766)

Hi Carmen, and thanks for the thanks.

Rebecca D on 7/19/01 at 18:33 (053761)

Carmen,
Regarding how long to wait, and be patient...I have had my pain and have been slowly healing for 1 year now. (Just this month) I also had a life threatening illness, and was on medication that had a side effect of 'pain'. The patient guide for the medication was a little vague there. However, I stopped taking that medication on July 9, and now feel a lot LESS pain. Go figure. Good luck, and hang in there!

Regards,
Rebecca D

Rebecca D on 7/07/01 at 22:41 (052439)

Carmen,
I think you have come to the right place for help. I got zero help from my doctors. Read through the PF Book on this site. Scott gives some excellent taping and stretching examples. I have used them, combined with Doctor Scholl's foam arch supports (about $12/pair) and have had much success. I walk a lot at work, and needed to be able to stay active. I found that by using elastic tape and stretching it across the arch of my foot (while the foot is flexed) it provided support while allowing the muscles and tissues of the foot to rest. I also us Young Living Essential oils (the 'RC' formula) mixed with unscented lotion, and massage my feet nightly. I have been suffering for just about a year now, and I am about 90% cured. x-rays do show spurs, but with proper care, I have been able to alleviate the pain and get on with life. I agree with the others, too. No more bare feet, try Birkenstocks...I don't have them yet, but I have notices that when I wear strapless sandals, my feet feel better. It is the gripping with the toes. I also pick up jacks with my toes. I suspect any small object would work. Stretching is good, and yoga. I stayed away from the custom orthotics because of the price. I find that insurance never covers the things I need. I decided I would try every kind of over-the-counter, mail order, less expensive than orthotics treatment there is before I gave up the money. Turns out, I don't need them.

What about riding a bike instead of walking?

Stay faithful to the site...you will get lots of support. Good luck, and good health!

Rebecca

Donna M on 7/07/01 at 23:56 (052440)

Hi Carmen, you have definitely come to the right place! Like Rebecca said, read the PF Book and you will get lots of good advice and answers.
I have had PF and a heelspur for a year now. I know what you mean about weight gain, as I have put on 15 lbs. and it is killing me! I am still active, but not able to walk long distances or use my treadmill! I am just on my feet a lot and moving around, but that doesn't really count!
I got Birkenstocks, as was suggested here, and they have really made a differece in me being able to get around better. I wear them most of the time, but it also helps to change shoes and wear my tennis shoes with the arch supports and heel pads in them that my orthopedic dr. gave me. It seems to let my feet rest by changing shoes.
Just hang in there and keep icing, taping and resting. Scott tells and shows ways to tape your feet and it really helps. Just be sure and read the PF Book!
I hope you get some relief and your PF disappears as quickly as it appeared!

Take care,

Donna M

Julie on 7/08/01 at 03:24 (052442)

Carmen, Rebecca and Donna have given you good advice. There is a great deal you can do to help yourself, and a great deal of information and advice in the heel pain book. Do read it, and also read the message boards which, over a period of time,will give you a lot of practical information as well as support.

You sound like a 'do-er', and that's great, because it means you'll actively involve yourself in your healing, and you've a good chance of healing relatively quickly because you've started dealing with it quickly. But I do want to offer a caution: sometimes we can 'do' too much. With plantar fasciitis, rest is the key (your pod was right here, and I think he was right not to give you stretches now). It's an injury to the plantar fascia, which with excess tension can tear at the point where it inserts in the heelbone, and like any injury, it needs rest in order to heal.

Not TOTAL rest: obviously you need to keep moving. But non weight-bearing exercise is best. Be very careful with stretching. Many of us here, including myself, have found that the wall stretches do more harm than good: they can pull on the fascia and irritate the Achilles Tendon, and you don't want to end up with Achilles Tendonitis as well as pf due to over-enthusiastic exercising . Non-weight-bearing exercise is best.

Of course you want to keep active - but it should be non weight-bearing for now. Biking, as Rebecca (or Donna - I always lose what I've written if I leave it to check back!) suggested. Swimming is excellent all-round aerobic exercise, so if you can swim, and have a pool near you, go for that.

I've found taping very helpful - see the illustrations and instructions in Part 1 of the heel pain book. Taping gives the arch the support it should have from the fascia, but has lost, so it rests it and therefore contributes to healing as well as to pain relief. An elastic ankle support, such as the Futuro, is helpful in the same way.

Icing is helpful for inflammation and pain relief.

Did your pod watch you walk on a treadmill to evaluate your gait? If there are any biomechanical faults in the way you walk (over-pronation, for example) you probably should consider being casted for custom orthotics, despite the cost. Richard, our resident Certified Pedorthist, can be of help here - ask your questions on the Inserts. Orthotics, Shoes message board.

Please try not to add anxiety about weight to your problems. I know how you feel, but you are at the low end of the acceptable weight range for your height, and would still be well within it even if you put on a few pounds.

Best wishes for your healing. Be optimistic, and be patient.

Carmen H on 7/08/01 at 08:49 (052452)

Thank you for your reply. I have Birkenstocks and have been an avid wearer of them for about 10 years now but wearing bad shoes while waiting tables, bartending and managing a restaurant for 5 years (hard wood floors and concrete....14 hour shifts)really did a number on my feet. I have been out of that business for over three years now but I have to say this is the worst pain I have ever had with my feet.
I had Piriformus release surgery in December so sitting for too long is hard and biking is out of the question as I developed the Piriformus Syndrome (another PF problem) while taking Spin Class, Kickboxing and weight lifting. I am a mess huh?? :-(
I will look into the book you suggested and get some elastic tape. I will do anything at this point. Thanks for your response and I will be living on here until this is fexed and AFTER if I can manage to find something that will help others.

Carmen H on 7/08/01 at 09:09 (052454)

Thank you for your reply. I appreciate it very much! I actually didn't realize until a minute ago (when I went to the PF Book) that I read that last week. I printed it out for reference when I firt started really being active in the treatment of this thing. I tried taping but haven't found a tape that holds the pressure on the arch. I had my husband tape my feet and the minute I put them down on the floor the pressure was released and there was no support. The tape the doc used worked for the one day it stayed on.....do you have any recommendations for a good brand? I spent about $50 on tape the first day. I will ease up on the wall stretches for now and keep on with the seated Theraband stretches and picking up the golf ball with my toes and icing. I also got an arch band and that didn't really do anything either way.
I did get scanned for orthotics yesterday. I will have them back in a week and we'll see how they are. I am currently wearing he Saucony's I bought yesterday (should have come with a car for the price) and they provide some definite relief! Thank god. I put on a pair of FINN Comfort shoes and thought I was in HEAVEN. BUT they're $175.00. So those will have to wait and the Birks I am wearing will have to do for now.

I wish I could bike or do yoga.....I have Piriformus Syndrome (also called PF) and it came from a combination of things and SPIN class (excessive hard bike class) contributed to it. I have already had surgery on that and have a nice 7' scar for nothing. It didn't help. Stretching that muscle aggravates it and Yoga really put me in a twist of pain. SO....I will relax and rest for now as everyone recommends and maybe start doing some upper body and ab work again once I can walk for more than a few minutes. I will be on here a LOT and REALLY appreciate everyone's advice....I will keep reading and try not to worry about weight too much.
Thank you all so much for responding....it truly helps to not be alone with this. I will try to STOP crying over the pain and frustration and keep my chin up. I am being taught a lesson in everything that happens in my life....this one seems to be 'Take a break!!! Give your body rest.'
So I will.
Thanks again.

Carmen H on 7/08/01 at 09:11 (052455)

Thank you Donna! Please let me know how you progress. I know my firend has heel spurs and PF and she is wanting to get pregnant......but I just know this will hurt her worse.
I can't believe how stubborn this thing is!
Thank you again.....

Rebecca D on 7/08/01 at 10:56 (052462)

Carmen,
I use an elastic tape called 'Elastoplast' or 'ACE' I purchaseit from a home care service called Delcrest. I don't know if they are in your area or not. It costs me about $17 for four rolls, but they last a while.

Good luck!

Julie on 7/08/01 at 11:07 (052464)

Carmen, you're really working on this thing. I'm sure you'll be fine!

Re taping. I use Leuko tape, made by Beiersdorf, and the technique I've followed successfully for several months is the simplest of the methods in the PF Book: two strips of tape connecting the ball and the heel. For good support you need to pull it tight, and when you apply it your foot should be in neutral, neither dorsiflexed nor plantarflexed. You will need to experiment a bit to get the right tension: too loose and it won't be supportive, too tight and it will pull painfully. It should feel tight when you stand, but not too tight. It's worth persevering with.

It sounds as though you didn't find a good yoga class. If it left you in pain, it wasn't the right class for you. But (I am a yoga teacher) there are many different styles of yoga, and if it interests you, it's worth looking around for the right teacher. You need a fairly gentle class that doesn't emphasize standing work to the exclusion of everything else (as Ashtanga and Iyengar Yoga tend to do).

The theraband stretches will be better for you: back off the wall stretches completely for now.

Yes, every experience contains a lesson, and my theory is that if we can figure out what the lesson is, and learn it, we won't need to repeat the experience. It sounds as though you've cracked this one!

Good luck, and keep with heelspurs.com. You will be able to help others here through your experience - that's what it's all about.

GinaC on 7/08/01 at 12:35 (052467)

I was very inactive following PF surgery four months ago. My doctor encouraged me to go back to swimming right after my stitches were removed. I did that and weigh exactly what I did at the time of surgery; sure surprised me. Gina

CarmenH on 7/08/01 at 16:48 (052480)

I wish I had a pool in my area!!! It would really be good for my Piriformus problem as well. Boy sounds like I am a mess!
You're lucky your weight stayed the same....I am hoping I can maintain as well.
Thank you!!

Carmen H on 7/08/01 at 16:51 (052481)

Julie~

I actually felt pain in the Piriformus muscle from the Yoga. It was a beginners class at my gym....no longer offered. That's a good suggestion though to seek a class outside of the gym and find a TRUE professional like yourself. As soon as I get some relief I will do that.
I got some tape today and am headed to tape up right now. If this doesn't work I am going to get the tape you suggested. Where do you get it? Health and Herb stores or just general Drugstores?
The Saucony's are helping me be able to at least leave the house.....but rest helps me the most.
Keep on keeping on I always say.....
Keep writing I appreciate the input!
Off to tape! My husband and my big 'date' tonight....
ha ha

Julie on 7/08/01 at 17:14 (052483)

Carmen, I'm in England, and I don't know where you can get the Leuko tape in the States. But in a recent discussion on the board about it, John posted the details of a website that sells it. You could try:

http://ptcatalog.com/misc.shtml

Enjoy your big date!

JudyS on 7/08/01 at 20:17 (052491)

Carmen, keeping in mind that I'm not a doctor I wanted to share an observation with you; you said that you felt a sharp pain while running on the treadmill and that your other foot also started hurting a few days later. We're you wearing brand-new shoes during that jog? The reason I ask is that PF is more likely to start suddenly due to injury and it sounds like you may have actually injured the one foot during the run. However, having both suddenly hurt is more indicative of new shoes or a change in exercise patterns. In a way I'm surprised that, given the sudden, sharp pain and ensuing intensity, that your doc didn't investigate further given the possibility of a tear. Perhaps because heel pain is heel pain no matter its origin. I ditto Julie in that the smartest thing you can do is follow conservative treatments you'll find here in Scott's PF Book - religiously, and be very pro-active in your recovery. The fact that it's recent is your best shot in getting it under control soon - just be patient.

Carmen H on 7/09/01 at 07:13 (052526)

No the shoes weren't new. I actually went out and got new shoes the day after it happened thinking it was my shoes....even though they were only three months old at the MOST. So the new shoes didn't help....obviously it probably hurt more then anything. I have had more walking comfort with the Saucony's and the insertts in the past three days but taking off my shoes and laying down last night killed me. My feet feel like they are filled with cellophane. I have religiously been following the suggestions since this happened to me. I am the kind of person that if something hurts I look it up on the internet...I don't waste time. Then I go to the doc.
Everyone says have patience.......for how long? :-)
thanks for your advice and input.

Carmen H on 7/10/01 at 19:46 (052712)

You're very helpful and motivating...thank you!!!

Julie on 7/11/01 at 03:20 (052766)

Hi Carmen, and thanks for the thanks.

Rebecca D on 7/19/01 at 18:33 (053761)

Carmen,
Regarding how long to wait, and be patient...I have had my pain and have been slowly healing for 1 year now. (Just this month) I also had a life threatening illness, and was on medication that had a side effect of 'pain'. The patient guide for the medication was a little vague there. However, I stopped taking that medication on July 9, and now feel a lot LESS pain. Go figure. Good luck, and hang in there!

Regards,
Rebecca D